Trusted Contributor

Re: PNC BANK WILL NOT CASH COMMERCIAL CHECKS DRAWN ON THEM!!!!!!!

@Plaid Pants2,

That is reading a lot into the post.  That is not what I read. 

Honored Contributor

Re: PNC BANK WILL NOT CASH COMMERCIAL CHECKS DROWN ON THEM!!!!!!!

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@tansy wrote:

What's the problem using your own bank?  

Most banks will allow customers to deposit checks with a smartphone and an app.

A. Not everyone has a smartphone

B. Not all banks have that capability - mine doesn't.

Respected Contributor

@oceantown wrote:

@elated wrote:

When I deposit it, many times I just take it as cash, and then our statement shows that dollar amount deposited, and the same dollar amount as a withdrawal.  This does not bother me at all.  But, when I am balancing the account, at first it will cause me a little doubletake because I do not show the deposit in my checkbook.  Then I realize it is because that check was not actually deposited, it was cashed.  So when I check our account on-line, it shows it as a deposit and withdrawal.

I am not sure what this means. If you deposit a check and then withdraw the cash it wil show as a credit then a debit.  Then you say the check was not actually depostied--then why would you be concerned about your bank balance. If you just cashed the check, you have the money and this would not affect your account. It willl show in your daughter's account as a debit.

Also, why would a bank cash a check when you are not their customer without a fee. Why not open a checking account with a minium amount required and then you will have no problem.

I don't think I explained this very well.  I will try again.

OK, when we go to costco, and pick up things for daughter, she will write a check to us to pay for her items.  It is usually a small amount.  Maybe $50.  So, I take it to my bank (actually a credit union).  I cash the check, so I have $50 cash. 

When I check my account on-line it will show a deposit of $50.00.  (this is the check from my daughter).  Then it will show a $50 withdrawal.  So, even though I presented the check and cashed it, it shows in my activity as if I deposited it in my account, and then took a $50 withdrawal. 

I do not go to the trouble to add $50 to my paper checkbook registry, and then subtract $50.  So, when balancing my account it can give me a doubletake before I realize that I did not forget to record a deposit, it was just a check I cashed.

So, hope that makes sense.  It is probably clear as mud.  lol.

I remembered another instance, this was over 20 years ago, where I took a check to the local branch that it was drawn on.  I was being paid for work that I transcribed at home, and I would go to the office to get my work, and then drop it off.  Near the end of the time I worked there, the receptionist would hand me my check and tell me that she suggested I cash the check right away at the branch it was written on.  They were close to either shutting up the business or going bankrupt.  I did not ask questions, I just took the check and cashed it right away.

Another post I read repeated one of my other points too.  We have a business and there have been customers that have been very very late in paying their invoice.  I am talking 2 months late.  We did not want to be charged a fee if their check bounced, and we took the check directly to their branch and cashed it.  These situations are stressful enough, being a business owner, without finding out the hard way that the check you received had non-sufficient funds.

Yep when you cash a check on your account, you are first depositing that check and then withdrawing cash, two transactions.  The cash is from available funds already in your account.  If  the check is not paid the deposit will be debited (reversed) and you will be charged a bounced check fee.  

Trusted Contributor

@Shawnie, yes that is what is happening.

Respected Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

All-in-all, the o/p is just po'ed because the bank forced her to follow the same rules that the rest of us have to follow.

She is not the exception to that rule.

That includes having to park her car, walk allllllllllll the way in to the bank to retrieve the check and her driver's license.

She expected special treatment, and is boo-hooing that she didn't get it.

Poor baby.

Poor, poor baby.

Life just sucks sometimes, don't it?

You can tell the OP that you don't agree with how she dealt with the situation without the nasty mocking. 

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Super Contributor

Wanting to avoid "activity" in the bank account is definitely shady business. Trying to hide income from Medicaid, child support, other government agencies, etc. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shawnie wrote:

@ashleigh dupray wrote:

@GSPgirl wrote:

So sad the way banks are now.  I worked in banks before computers and trust was the key to good relationships with our customers.  We would always cash a Bank of America check no matter who was presenting it.  It's all the people who abuse banks that make the innocent pay.  So tired of it.  

so you worked at a bank in the 1940s?  computers have been a part of banking since at leats the 1950s. 

the reason they were called "bankers hours" were in the olden days of paper ledgers, it took a few days to enter all of the transactions

Computers did not really become part of banking until the 1960s. And check processing in the 1960s and up until about 1980 was very labor intensive.  Did you know that large item checks were actually flown to the paying banks in batches for payment in the 1970s???    Dont know where you get your definition of bankers hours either. LOL.  Banks closed in the mid afternoons in order to post that days transactions.   And @GSPgirlis exactly right about trust and knowing your customer was a key aspect of banking, particularly in community banks in precomputer days.  

IBM Mainframes in were already in use in the 50s.  IBM launched an automated proof machine in 1949.  

as an aside, one time the branch i worked at ran out of money. this was a Savings bank.  the Savings fed into a National (their mainframes)

anyway, the manager failed to order enough cash. it was the 3rd of the month AND payday AND a Friday (open late) she had to call around to get money and the Main Office had nothing to spare so we ended up getting it from a co-op bank in town.  this branch always had lines out the door, this was the day of 21% interest on CDs.  the faces on the customers  priceless, they were packed into the lobby like sardines. waiting for hours. it took quite a while to get the cash, verify, put it in the vault and then set the vault . then open the vault , then we could get our drawers.

i am always amazed that the 3rd of the month now is nothing big (yes i know the SSA has staggered SS payments).

Honored Contributor

I've never heard of PNC Bank ..... it must be a regional bank.  I also never heard of being charged to cash a check at the Issuer's bank.   

I don't understand the OP's wanting to hide income, but whatever.   In a perfect world, the Consignment Shop would have given her cash.   LOL

Honored Contributor

My bank is PNC.  They opened a branch at the university where I work, so I began banking there.  Since I have an account there, no problem desposting/cashing any check.

Honored Contributor

There has been so much fraud that banks, stores, etc, have to protect themselves.  It seems odd that the bank wouldn't cash a check for their own account. I don't see any reason to blame the consignment shop for the bank's policies.  IMO, go to your own bank.