Respected Contributor

Re: PNC BANK WILL NOT CASH COMMERCIAL CHECKS DROWN ON THEM!!!!!!!

@ECBG wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@tansy wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@tansy wrote:

What's the problem using your own bank?  

@tansy

Today I took a consignment check to PNC bank because it was THEIR check they were closer to me and I don't try to add activity to my account.

Sorry @ECBG but what I didn't understand was not wanting to add activity to your own account.  

@tansy    @ECBG

Yeah ... that makes no sense at all.  Just deposit the check in your own account and be done with it.  Going to another bank is too much of a hassle.  

@tansyI didn't want more records to keep.  Really, my reason for going to PNC doesn't really matter.

It's the lack of customer service to their client's account.  That's the issue.

That is one of the stupiest reason I've heard. 

Honored Contributor

Re: PNC BANK WILL NOT CASH COMMERCIAL CHECKS DRAWN ON THEM!!!!!!!

common practice around here.....want to cash a check at the bank where the check is drawn, but dont have an account there?,,,,the charge is usually $10 here AND two forms of ID. it has been this way for quite a while now. another way for banks to make some money.

i am another one who doesnt understand why you didnt cash it at the banks that have your accounts?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Valued Contributor

Banks charge a fee to cash their own check to make up for what they lose in fraud.  Tellers rely on ID to make sure the check casher is also the payee.  Many times IDs are fake and days later, the company issuing the check is contacting the bank to let them know they cashed a check for someone posing as the payee. The bank eats that.

As someone mentioned up-thread, the OP could have an account that allows limited transactions- say 5 per month- anything over that, you're assessed a per transaction charge.  She could also be trying to avoid disclosing any income she's receiving from consignment sales.

You have sacrificed nothing and no one.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had a payroll check from a well known company and Bank of America was where it was drawn from.  They wanted to charge me a ridiculous $6 at the time to cash it and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it's $10 now.   I deposited it into my checking account at my bank instead.  It wasn't direct deposited because it was a bonus check that was handed out - in later years it was direct deposited.   

Honored Contributor

@Maudelynn wrote:

As someone mentioned up-thread, the OP could have an account that allows limited transactions- say 5 per month- anything over that, you're assessed a per transaction charge.  She could also be trying to avoid disclosing any income she's receiving from consignment sales.

The per-transaction fee in those instances run about 50 cents per transaction. Unless a lot of checks are deposited per month, not a real financial consideration.

None of us should judge those on limited incomes who may be scraping by much of the time, IMO. OTOH, mentioning it on the forum might have been a bit of a boo-boo/learning experience.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@ashleigh dupray wrote:

@GSPgirl wrote:

So sad the way banks are now.  I worked in banks before computers and trust was the key to good relationships with our customers.  We would always cash a Bank of America check no matter who was presenting it.  It's all the people who abuse banks that make the innocent pay.  So tired of it.  

so you worked at a bank in the 1940s?  computers have been a part of banking since at leats the 1950s. 

the reason they were called "bankers hours" were in the olden days of paper ledgers, it took a few days to enter all of the transactions

Computers did not really become part of banking until the 1960s. And check processing in the 1960s and up until about 1980 was very labor intensive.  Did you know that large item checks were actually flown to the paying banks in batches for payment in the 1970s???    Dont know where you get your definition of bankers hours either. LOL.  Banks closed in the mid afternoons in order to post that days transactions.   And @GSPgirlis exactly right about trust and knowing your customer was a key aspect of banking, particularly in community banks in precomputer days.  

Valued Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Maudelynn wrote:

The per-transaction fee in those instances run about 50 cents per transaction. Unless a lot of checks are deposited per month, not a real financial consideration.

None of us should judge those on limited incomes who may be scraping by much of the time, IMO. OTOH, mentioning it on the forum might have been a bit of a boo-boo/learning experience.

Sad to say, sometimes the difference between gas to get to work or not is the $3 or $4 spent on transaction charges.  The OP may not have been able to just cash the check at her bank because she didn't have enough to cover it.  Regardless, I think $10 is a little steep.

Valued Contributor

@Shawnie wrote:

@ashleigh dupray wrote:

@GSPgirl wrote:

So sad the way banks are now.  I worked in banks before computers and trust was the key to good relationships with our customers.  We would always cash a Bank of America check no matter who was presenting it.  It's all the people who abuse banks that make the innocent pay.  So tired of it.  

so you worked at a bank in the 1940s?  computers have been a part of banking since at leats the 1950s. 

the reason they were called "bankers hours" were in the olden days of paper ledgers, it took a few days to enter all of the transactions

Computers did not really become part of banking until the 1960s. And check processing in the 1960s and up until about 1980 was very labor intensive.  Did you know that large item checks were actually flown to the paying banks in batches for payment in the 1970s???    Dont know where you get your definition of bankers hours either. LOL.  Banks closed in the mid afternoons in order to post that days transactions.   And @GSPgirlis exactly right about trust and knowing your customer was a key aspect of banking, particularly in community banks in precomputer days.  

Everything is imaged these days and transactions on paying banks are done electronically.  The checks, deposit slips, etc are all destroyed.  No more proof department, no more couriers needed to transport paper checks.  Most checks clear over night.

Honored Contributor

@karlam wrote:

@ECBG if you don't want to deposit the check into your own account, as long as you have enough money in your account to cover the check, the bank will just give you cash back and it will never be in your account.  Of course I am assuming that the check amount is on the smaller side.

@karlamAs was said in the origonal post "The PNC bank was closer".

Honored Contributor

@meem120 wrote:

All the banks do that

@meem120Guess they don't want new business, LOL!!!  I certainly wouldn't open an account there after all I went through.  The teller wouldn't even give me my check and license back without comeing in despsite not a silgle person anywhere including the parking lot!  

I wonder why no one was using that bank?