Respected Contributor

Re: PLEASE SHARE YOUR ACCENT

@Mersha wrote:

I still have a very distinct Pittsburgh accent even though I have not lived in the area for decades.

I think once you have one, it is always with you.

For instance:  Are ya go'n dahntahn ta watch da Stillers play after ya wirsh the clothes and red up da room?

Everything must be slurred together also.

your example is a hoot! Yes that's how Pittsburghers sound to me. No one else "reds up a room" except for you guys either  so fun!

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Upper Midwestern, doncha' know?

Minnesota? Wisconsin? Yooper?

Harmonize the World
Trusted Contributor

In honor of the Canadians: EH?

Respected Contributor

@fairydogmother   Not many know red up the room unless you know Pittsburghese.

We are also known for our pop, shopping buggy and gum bands. Smiley Happy

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

@KBEANS ,  I'd love to know what a Bugs Bunny accent is?   Let's see, he talks fast....   but ....   fill us in, please!

@VanSleepy ,   I'm sorry you trained yourself out of your classic Chicago-isms!  They're all good.

Respected Contributor

@Oznell  Native Michiganders also pronounce roof as ruhf.  

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

NYer here ... we don't have any accent.   Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Born in NY but my parents decided to retire and move back to the Caribbean. I was around 8 or 9 and my three other siblings were younger. The older ones stayed in NY.

I tried so much to talk like the folks there but it didn't sound too good.  The King and Queen paid a visit and I was asked to say a recitation (poem) I was so good at doing that especially with my American accent.  I  also gave her a bouquet of flowers.

At 14 I left to attend high school in NY. Met my Baltimore born husband at 22. The funny thing is when I got upset at him I would talk real fast and the Caribbean accent would come. He would laugh and I would forget why I was upset. I think sometimes he got me upset for that reason.

It's difficult to say what my accent is because when I talk on Whattsapp with my friends back home it's mixed. Lived in NY, NJ, Fl and now Georgia so all I can say is that my accent is all blended together.

Oh when I lived in NJ and asked for the eating utensil with 4 prongs the Caribbean accent came out and I really had to change my pronounciation.

Respected Contributor

Well I just took two different accent quizzes. The Babbel one came out Pacific Northwest which makes no sense. The second one was correct with Midwest - probably because they had gym shoes on that one lol

Trusted Contributor

@Mersha I need to know what a "gum band" is?   😃