Honored Contributor

Re: PLEASE SHARE YOUR ACCENT

@shoesnbags ,  when I first lived in N.O.,  I was bemused by the accent, expecting more of a so-called 'typical' Southern drawl.  I think whole research papers have been written about the ins and outs of the New Orleans accent!   I seem to remember hearing that the Irish Channel started off the most "Brooklyn" sound?   But can't remember if that's quite right. 

I lived in the Carrollton district and Uptown, and worked in Mid-City, ad encountered several variations.  Well do I remember "mynez",  so necessary for enjoying the delectable N.O. po' boy....

@beach-mom --   Yes!!  Thank you for confirming for me the Urr-ic thing!   I suspected that it was Philly related, but not sure.  Actually, my friend was from suburban Glenside, PA, but said she had lots of aspects of the Philly accent.

Great stories about French, which seems to have as many variations as we have.  Wow, the Quebecois do seem to have developed a "patois" that is mystifying to French-speakers from France!

@KBEANS ,  thanks for answering my question--  I think Bugs Bunny and his accent is so cute, and am sure your accent is too.

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell  in the Caribbean rubberband is also called elastic band. I think a lot of words used in Canada are also used in the Caribbean also the spelling of words that include "u".

Labor--labour. Once I had a Canadian friend who asked me to type a letter for him. It said something about enclosing a check and he spelt it cheque. I had to ask him what that word was.

Honored Contributor

My mom sent me to elocution classes when I was in grammar school. She seemed to worry that I would pick up a "Brooklyn accent." I have been told, living in New York, that I have no discernible accent. I have been frequently asked what other state I am from. My two children have no accent either.

Esteemed Contributor

This Thread reminds me of an episode of "King of Queens" with Doug and Carrie Heffernan.  Carrie wanted to lose her  accent and Spence became her Coach.

She was doing so well until Doug's mom came for a visit. I loved to hear Doug's mom talk. She really threw Carrie off with words like coffee, talk and just about everything. Of course Carrie never got the job.

Honored Contributor

Hey, @Sage04 ,  I've noticed that similarity between Canada and some Caribbean nations too!   I suppose it comes from some of them having a shared history in the Commonwealth, the British influence, etc.

Colour, labour, neighbour.   Yes, I've seen some Canucks spell "cheque" too.  Although no one in our family does, some Canadians even say "zed" for "z",  and for lieutenant, they pronounce it "leftenant", just like the Brits.  That's pretty hard core.  To me, saying "shedule" for "schedule" is really out there, but some Canadians do!