Honored Contributor

The report I read yesterday said no child under nine had died anywhere.

Respected Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

Suspicious that it's been created in a lab, experimental and accidentally released. Why would children have a level of immunity? It makes no sense.

Multiple agencies, including our own here in the US have done the genetic sequencing.  All confirm a zoonotic virus, meaning no way it was lab created.  

As people, we really need to start thinking about how our expanding into areas of environment in which man has never encroached has caused multiple new viruses we have not seen before and will continue to do so.  This is the reason for HIV, ebola, SARS, and the list goes on.  

These viruses have been out there for a thousand years existing with no threat to mankind.  But as humans cut down forests, move into new territories, and start to be exposed to animals and wildlife in those areas, mankind is now faced with a virus that we never had to worry about before.  And it isn't just China. 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Trusted Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

The report I read yesterday said no child under nine had died anywhere.

I was curious about this, too.  My understanding is that it is the stronger immune response in adults that is causing it to be more deadly for adults.  Getting sick is an immune system response.   

Honored Contributor

@pitdakota  Thank you. That explains it and replaces one concern with another that we will have more situations like the one we're in now. Who would have imagined the entire world virtually shut down with no end in sight. A report from the UK expects this to last 12 months. It's surreal.

Respected Contributor

I know @occasionalrain.  It is sobering.  I will say though, that there are those in public health that have been predicting something like this and have tried to call attention to many issues that are threats and will continue to be threats to our public health.    

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *