Honored Contributor

Re: PEANUT BUTTER AND PICKLE SANDWICHES

Hey, @SoX ,  and  @willdob3 ,   thanks for responding to the Sue Grafton reference!   Isn't her "Kinsey Millhone" alphabet series of mysteries the best?  And I love the setting of fictional "Santa Teresa"  (really Santa Barbara) California.

She is terribly missed--  her ear for real-sounding dialogue is unsurpassed, and she was so inventive.  Even if we didn't get a full 26 books in the series, it was awfully close-- she gallantly kept at it as long as she could.  And unbelievably over that span of the series, she kept the quality high.  Many of my favorite detective writers have flagged after a few books...

Hmmmm, I'm liking the suggestions that keep recurring, of potato chips in sandwiches, yum.  Chips make me happy and cheerful, ha.  I try to ration most of the year, but New Year's,  and now, Independence Day in this great country, are great occasions for chips...

Thanks to all who have shared what they or family members, like-- fun responses.  Yes, that 'artisan' bread is what drew me to the image.  Any pickles I use would have to be large, lustily sour dill pickles--  sliced very thin...

Respected Contributor

I like pickles and peanut butter but not together.

Trusted Contributor

Grew up on peanut butter and pickles sandwiches. Still eat them but use "stacker" pickles.

Also grew up on toasted bread, mayonnaise and potato chips. Still eat that.

Honored Contributor

I'm the one who adds a dollup of chunky peanut butter into my coffee (with milk) and also into my hot chocolate.

It's 'a treat' to find a surprise at the bottom of the cup (chunky pb chunks).  !!!!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Ingenious, @ROMARY --  I bet hubs would like that-- he's quite a fan of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, and the hot chocolate/pb combo might be right up his alley...

Super Contributor

I have never had a peanut butter& pickle sandwich. I really like peanut butter and cheese (as in cheese slices).

Esteemed Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

As a life-long pickle hater, this appeals to me not at all.  However, I have been known to eat a baloney and potato chip sandwich.  Less so as I got to be grown up, but, still, now and then.

@Peaches McPhee I thought I was the only one who ate that sandwich!  I'm shocked someone else discovered it.  Good, isn't it?

Honored Contributor

@JYWilliams wrote:

I like pickles and peanut butter but not together.

Same here.    

I'd actually never even heard of this until now.  Hard pass for me.

Honored Contributor

Peanut butter with sweet pickles. Yummy!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell @Highlands72 and everyone...

Here's a variation of this sandwich I've been enjoying since the early 70's...

Same thick sliced whole grain bread. The more chewy, the better. Think wheat sprouts, nuts, seeds etc. etc.  A good schmear of peanut butter on one slice. I like crunchy PB. And mayo on the other slice. Add long, thinly sliced garden fresh cucumbers and a thick slab of fresh, tasty home grown beefsteak tomato.  A dash of salt, although the seasoning Spike was popular back then and was my preference. Voila! What a delightful sandwich. Each item, ingredient, played beautifully off the others for a sweet and savory taste treat. The crisp cucumber crunch, firm but juicy tomato coupled with the PB and mayo was like an unforgettable party for the palate. I found this recipe, and many more, in the 1972 New York Times Natural Food Cookbook. One of the  cookbooks I used and dearly loved while living in Central America during the 70's. I still l♡ve this sandwich!!!