Respected Contributor

Re: PBS Series on VIETNAM starts tonight....

@lulu2 wrote:

Had we not been allied with France in WW2, would the US and Ho Chi Minh remained "on the same side?"

Again, I think it's complicated.

France surrendered rather quickly to Germany.  However, the Free French continued to fight.  Roosevelt wanted DeGalle to withdraw from Indochina after the war - as we were to do in the Philipines.  However, DeGalle believed that maintaining colonial control was essential to rebuild France's power in the world.  Truman - worried about Communism did nothing to stop him at the end of the war.

After that, we were more and more affected by the Cold War - and I think also, by the Korean Conflict.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

A few posters have homed in on the fact that Ken Burns, like every other human being, must have biases.

Well, of course. But the insinuation is that he includes misinformation or obviously skews the documentary in a certain direction.

That he did so here or elsewhere should be proved before he should the assumption can be considered fact.

Insinuations and assumptions are made on these forums hourly, in almost every thread, without proof given. It's why many people come to the forums - in order to insinuate and assume on the topics of their choice.

If bias is making sure both/all viewpoints are heard, with information from many sources, instead of some people's pet POV or "side", and that's what upsets them, thinking that giving "both sides" is biased against "their" side, that's truly sad that people no longer understand the difference.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Ken Burns did an excellent job of telling the history of Vietnam.  I really appreciated that perspective.

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

So many are saying that Viet Nam changed the person that they knew, that they weren't the same afterwards.

Of course war changed them.

How could it not?

They saw horrors that we don't even want to imagine.

But that is not exclusive to just Viet Nam.

Every war that has ever been fought, changed those who were in those wars, from the war of 1812, all the way up to day.

My grandfather fought in WWI, and it changed him.

He would never talk about his time in the Army, but I know that he had his mental scars.

I was born when Viet Nam was happening, so I don't have any memories of the actual war itself.

Personally, I don't think that we should have sacrificed our men to V.N., but that's a different discussion, for a different day, so no, I won't be watching the show.

For every generation, war is new.

Honored Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

I grew up during the war, I have no interest in watching. Attending funerals for the fallen who sometimes were only a few years older than me was...I don't know how to express what it was. Got the bad news, picked one of many funeral outfits, stood quietly without any tears, watched the heartbreak of those left behind, heard all the useless things we say when we don't know what to say & after going home, being resigned to the next. Add in the society upheaval & it was a really confusing time. I think The Wall is a fitting memorial, so many names...most touch while others stand back, they still can't get close.

Very nicely said @kitcat51.  Poetic.  My husband and I took our daughter to the wall and looked for names.  Others there were doing rubbings.

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

So many are saying that Viet Nam changed the person that they knew, that they weren't the same afterwards.

Of course war changed them.

How could it not?

They saw horrors that we don't even want to imagine.

But that is not exclusive to just Viet Nam.

Every war that has ever been fought, changed those who were in those wars, from the war of 1812, all the way up to day.

My grandfather fought in WWI, and it changed him.

He would never talk about his time in the Army, but I know that he had his mental scars.

I was born when Viet Nam was happening, so I don't have any memories of the actual war itself.

Personally, I don't think that we should have sacrificed our men to V.N., but that's a different discussion, for a different day, so no, I won't be watching the show.

I agree they were sacrificed , but the difference in that war ,and all others was the men that went ,died or came back ,were not heros to many ,they were treated badly.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest

There is a well respected book out saying a lot of the idea they were spit on and treated badly is myth.  Most reports were unsubstantiated.

I can't speak for others but I can tell you it was not true in San Francisco.  My husband and his Air Force friends were out and about all the time wearing their Air Force jackets and never experienced anything negative.

Esteemed Contributor

61-69 was high school and college so I was truly a child of the 60-'s.  I was a history major in college so what I found very interesting in last night's  episode was the back story of Vietnam and the roots of the conflict going back to the Truman administration.  I never knew any of that background.

Honored Contributor

Anyone interested can read THE SPITTING IMAGE on Wiki for a report on the MYTH that grew about treatment of our vets.

That's not the only source, there are others saying the same thing.

Respected Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@goldensrbest

There is a well respected book out saying a lot of the idea they were spit on and treated badly is myth.  Most reports were unsubstantiated.

I can't speak for others but I can tell you it was not true in San Francisco.  My husband and his Air Force friends were out and about all the time wearing their Air Force jackets and never experienced anything negative.

http://www.military-money-matters.com/vietnam-veterans-spit-on-part-2.html#axzz4t41GRZzg

It happened everywhere - yes even SF.