Esteemed Contributor

Re: PBS Series on VIETNAM starts tonight....

So many are saying that Viet Nam changed the person that they knew, that they weren't the same afterwards.

Of course war changed them.

How could it not?

They saw horrors that we don't even want to imagine.

But that is not exclusive to just Viet Nam.

Every war that has ever been fought, changed those who were in those wars, from the war of 1812, all the way up to day.

My grandfather fought in WWI, and it changed him.

He would never talk about his time in the Army, but I know that he had his mental scars.

I was born when Viet Nam was happening, so I don't have any memories of the actual war itself.

Personally, I don't think that we should have sacrificed our men to V.N., but that's a different discussion, for a different day, so no, I won't be watching the show.

Valued Contributor

I am going to watch.  I have my own memories and I need to put them in context.  I want to understand.  I need the viewpoint of an historian.  

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Honored Contributor

I plan on watching .

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

DH and I will watch.  He is a VN Veteran, although he remained state side.

I remember those years vividly and it brought me much anquish, so I don't know if watching will dredge up those feelings.  I recall my older sister's friends  going to war right out of high school, some not to return.  Four years later my classmates were being drafted.  My biggest fear, and that of my parents, was that this war would still be going on when my younger brother reached 18.  (He was six years younger than I.)

Ironically when I graduated I started working at a VA Hospital and remained there until retirement.  Many times it was emotionally draining,  but gave me such understanding, respect and admiration for our country's veterans and POWs.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I grew up during the war, I have no interest in watching. Attending funerals for the fallen who sometimes were only a few years older than me was...I don't know how to express what it was. Got the bad news, picked one of many funeral outfits, stood quietly without any tears, watched the heartbreak of those left behind, heard all the useless things we say when we don't know what to say & after going home, being resigned to the next. Add in the society upheaval & it was a really confusing time. I think The Wall is a fitting memorial, so many names...most touch while others stand back, they still can't get close.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@rrpell wrote:

I am going to watch.  I have my own memories and I need to put them in context.  I want to understand.  I need the viewpoint of an historian.  

This^^^ for me.

I was in HS and college, and my first job when Vietnam was our nightly news reality. You're aware of course, but what you see, hear and come to "know" about it is tempered (sometimes greatly) by what the media tells you and by those around you.

I experienced the war in Vietnam largely through one particular lens; I'd like to see it through another lens or lenses for a total picture. I want to know now, even if it's "too late", all views and sides, and all the information the public didn't have then, and I definitely didn't have then.

If anyone in America can show us ALL sides of a story, it's Ken Burns. I trust him.

But 10 nights and 18 hrs is a lot of viewing. I just won't be able to sit through it all, I know. And what's a bummer is that on any given night I may end up watching only part of a segment, or skip a night that might turn out to be one I would have wanted to see more than others.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

The public definitely knew more about the Vietnam war than any we are currently in. All the networks had correspondents there and yes, we saw the footage and the flag draped coffins. I believe that coverage helped end the war. Now we have no information on injuries and fatalities unless we do a lot of research. One of the networks used to report with that data but no longer.

Honored Contributor

The young men of that time ,did their duty   they died for a war we should not had been in , this war was so different than the others , they were not welcomed home  the ones that survived,and that was terrible .

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@rrpell wrote:

This^^^ for me.

I was in HS and college, and my first job when Vietnam was our nightly news reality. You're aware of course, but what you see, hear and come to "know" about it is tempered (sometimes greatly) by what the media tells you and by those around you.

I experienced the war in Vietnam largely through one particular lens; I'd like to see it through another lens or lenses for a total picture. I want to know now, even if it's "too late", all views and sides, and all the information the public didn't have then, and I definitely didn't have then.

If anyone in America can show us ALL sides of a story, it's Ken Burns. I trust him.

But 10 nights and 18 hrs is a lot of viewing. I just won't be able to sit through it all, I know. And what's a bummer is that on any given night I may end up watching only part of a segment, or skip a night that might turn out to be one I would have wanted to see more than others.

Everyone has a bias.  I'm sure Ken Burns is no different...especially after reading more about him today.

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

The young men of that time ,did their duty   they died for a war we should not had been in , this war was so different than the others , they were not welcomed home  the ones that survived,and that was terrible .

I agree 100%. They did their duty to their country when called.  They deserved better.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth