Valued Contributor

Re: PAPYRUS Card Stores to Close

[ Edited ]

I loved to send them for very special occasions.  They do have some beautfiful cards and the best Thank You cards too!  There's a really cute Papryus store at a major mall near me that I enjoy going into so I'm sad to see it close..  The Target store near me also sells them now.  I recently bought a sympathy card and noticed the words, made in China.  Ugh!

Respected Contributor

I have always had a pension for fine textiles, especially paper goods.  Papyrus has the most lovely gift wrap and stationery.

Regular Contributor

American Greetings bought Papyrus and Recycled Paper Greetings several years ago. I worked for Recycled Paper for 29 years.  It was all down hill after the sale.

Contributor

We have a few stores in New York, I like going to the one at Rockefeller Center and shop for special people in my life or someone I really would like to impress because they are pricey but totally worth it, love the ornaments and small musical boxes, unfortunately with the electronic technology , fewer and fewer people are sending cards by mail. To me opening my mailbox and finding a handwritten card someone sent me for my birthday, Mother's day, Easter, Christmas or just because, means everything!!! It is sad to see them or any other business close......

Honored Contributor

I love to send cards and still do.  I enjoy going to card stores and Papyrus is  one which I particularly like because the cards are unique and so pretty.  I also bought Christmas cards at Papyrus.  Of course hearing this news saddens me.  I am not an on line shopper as I enjoy going to stores and supporting businesses and their employees.  

I still send cards for birthdays, Christmas and special occasions.  I do not care for e-cards, sending or receiving.  However, I do understand they are an option for those who cannot get out to a card store or just prefer e-cards.

Papyrus is a great store and I am truly sorry it is closing shop.  

Honored Contributor

is it confirmed that their online presence will also cease operations?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Iamstillhere 

I live in suburban NYC, I am pretty sure there is a store in Grand Central, and I have one in the Lord and Taylor strip mall up here in Scarsdale. I always loved their unique cards and gifts.

@Iamstillhere wrote:

We have a few stores in New York, I like going to the one at Rockefeller Center and shop for special people in my life or someone I really would like to impress because they are pricey but totally worth it, love the ornaments and small musical boxes, unfortunately with the electronic technology , fewer and fewer people are sending cards by mail. To me opening my mailbox and finding a handwritten card someone sent me for my birthday, Mother's day, Easter, Christmas or just because, means everything!!! It is sad to see them or any other business close......

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

I never heard of Papyrus cards. Sooner or later I think all card stores will be a thing of the past.

We had two Hallmark stores in our mall, one is now closed. We also had three Hallmark stores in the area and they're all gone.

I always enjoyed sending (and receiving) cards in the mail. We didn't get one Christmas card last year. Friends and family now text for Christmas and birthdays. And it's not the same thing!

Esteemed Contributor

That’s sad.  I haven’t purchased anything in their store since last year.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

They have beautiful cards.  I am not surprised.  I loved going into their store in DC --- but they were rarely open when they were supposed to be open.  

I saw that liquidation sales are already underway.   Online is only 20% off sitewide --they need to offer better sales to liquidate IMO.