Respected Contributor

Re: PA couple spent $120,000.00 bank mistakenly.....

This couple will need to sell all the toys they bought and the bank will get back pennies on the dollar. The 2 may spend some time in jail, but I doubt it. I will say definitively that if a teller mis-keyed the account number and was responsible for the deposit going into the wrong account, that teller has been fired.
Honored Contributor

I know what I have...where it comes from...where it goes. If any money shows up unexpectedly, I would know if  it was an error. I would not spend it.

Esteemed Contributor

Maybe they had ordered Peter Pop off Miracle Water and thought they got $120,000 deposited into their account. If you watch the commercials, everybody has received some money after drinking the water. Who knows what people believe. So many people in our society who feel they are entitled. These poor souls were hoping they would not be caught. 

Esteemed Contributor

@elated wrote:

Maybe they had ordered Peter Pop off Miracle Water and thought they got $120,000 deposited into their account. If you watch the commercials, everybody has received some money after drinking the water. Who knows what people believe. So many people in our society who feel they are entitled. These poor souls were hoping they would not be caught. 

Great answer. Now I'd love to see how that defense would play in court. 

Respected Contributor

@mspatmac wrote:

@elated wrote:

Great answer. Now I'd love to see how that defense would play in court. 

@mspatmac  they may just have gotten away with it if the wife had not said she knew the money was not theirsWoman LOL They could have used the insanity defense...who knows what people are thinking these days..I would have contacted the bank.

Valued Contributor

so they looked online at their account, saw $120,000 deposit, never thought about how it got there, or cared, went out and bought a bunch of expensive things they couldnt afford and when anyone asked how they afforded all that, they said "we got a big bonus in our checking accounts". 

Is that how it went down? And now they'll claim they had no idea it could be a bank error and so they did nothing wrong. And the poor bank employee who made a mistake probably got fired because these idiots couldn;t be honest about "found" money.

they won't go to jail, I guarantee that. They'll be ordered to sell everything they bought and pay back $50 a month for any shortages. And their crummy lives will go on.

SMDH

Respected Contributor

From her FB profile, it says she works as a postal worker and has 4 kids.

Geesh, that's teaching them to be honest.

All the ridiculous things they bought, they sound crazy. 

Honored Contributor

I hope the teller didn't get fired.  Because of human error?  

Honored Contributor

@patbz wrote:

My Dad retired in 1975 from a Civil Service position, at the same time my Mother also retired from teaching (she got SS in addition to her teaching pension).  Here's the kicker: my father couldn't get a dependent benefit (SHE WAS A WOMAN!), time passed and the SS changed that rule.  Nobody notified my Mom that she had BIG bucks coming!  My Dad wasn't convinced he was owed the money, so when he got $100,000 he deposited in a separate account because he thought it was a mistake!!! There it sat for twelve years until he passed.  Fortunately, my parents were pretty well off (but it's too bad they didn't get to enjoy the money).  My Dad came from the era that you never assumed that a "windfall" couldn't be his (and he would have to return  it).

He waited 12 years for them to resolve what he thought might have been a mistake...LOL  Omg...LOL    There must have been a letter or EOB that got lost somewhere.  I think 99.9 percent of us would have gone to down to the SSA for explanation of that windfall, if it came without any explanation.  

Honored Contributor

it should hurt, to be stupid !!!