Esteemed Contributor

PA couple spent $120,000.00 bank mistakenly.....

put in their account.  When contacted the wife said they had spent the money and would come up with a repayment plan.  She also said they knew it wasn't their money.

Did they think the bank wouldn't realize the error and track where it ended up?  

I wouldn't take $1.20 that wasn't mine.  I don't know why this surprises me but the sheer stupidity of it boggles the mind.  It's stealing plain and simple.

The town is not far from where I grew up and I know exactly where the bank is.  The bank credited the corrrect account.

Honored Contributor

Re: PA couple spent $120,000.00 bank mistakenly.....

This couple was very foolish, the bank at some point was going to see they made an error. I would have notified the bank of the mistake immediately. A few months back I withdrew $1,000. I was counting with the teller, I didn't think it was correct ( I should have gone with my gut), I questioned her, she said it was correct. I get home, she short changed me $600! I called the bank and spoke to her, she said she would get back to me. Sure enough she had made a mistake. She would have found out at the end of the day, her withdrawals wouldn't have matched the amount of money she still had left.

Honored Contributor

That wasn't a mistake.  It was intentional. 

The bank was going to figure it out sooner or later, so they should have contacted the bank immediately. 

Very foolish people...

Esteemed Contributor

once again.......you can't fix stupid!!

Honored Contributor

Some people!  Sheesh!  Thieves, and stupid ones at that!

Honored Contributor

I’m glad they were arrested.  

Honored Contributor

What in the world did they buy with all that money?  It will take them forever to pay it back.

Esteemed Contributor

When my mother was starting to lose it, she complained that the bank said she had $10,000 more in checking then she thought.  Turns out the bank was right and she couldn’t add.

We still laugh.  Really, that is a fair amount to lose track of.

Honored Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

That wasn't a mistake.  It was intentional. 

The bank was going to figure it out sooner or later, so they should have contacted the bank immediately. 

Very foolish people...

I think you misread.  The "mistake" isn't being attributed to the couple, it was a bank mistake.

Honored Contributor

I am surprised that anyone would actually do this.  You have to know you will get caught.  This is a crime and you could get arrested.

Back when we were first married, my checking account had two deposits in there that I did not make.  I just opened the account with my new last name at a new bank.

I kept telling my DH that something was wrong, I had too much money..  At Sunday dinner, my MIL was complaining that her checking account was short.  We figured out that the teller was depositing her checks into my account.

Back in those days, in small towns, the tellers knew everyone.  No ID was needed.  You just told the teller what you wanted and she did it.  

This same teller also cashed a gas bill.  my FIL thought his gas bill was a check and took it to the bank.  She cashed it for the billed amount.  The bank called that evening to ask him to return the money.  We still laugh about that one.

Errors happen, but you have to know you can't spend money that is not yours.

How can you think you,will get away with $120,000?