Honored Contributor

Re: PA couple spent $120,000.00 bank mistakenly.....

The other thing is, bank tellers have been known to have sticky fingers as well.  This happened with a friend of mine. She was called by the bank the next morning after cashing a check and the bank accused her of getting several hundred dollars back more than she did.  Long story short, the manager looked at the calculator tape and the amount of time my friend was at the counter/how long the transaction took, and determined there is no way it would take a teller that long to complete that particular transaction and count the money back.  When confronted, the teller confessed to having taken the money.  Prior to all this, the bank wanted my friend to go take a lie detector test over all this.  We worked for the same law firm at the time and one of the attorneys got involved and helped her out. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

DH and I had a bank make an error for a number of months that could have resulted in us owning our boat outright without having made payments.  

This was 20+ years ago and we financed our boat.  For the first 4 months of our loan, I went into the bank with my payment book and wrote a check for the payment and a couple weeks later I got a check back from the bank, with a letter telling me the account was paid in full.

I had hours and hours of time trying to get this straightened out.  I had meeting with branch managers, calls to corporate, calls to the dealership where we bought the boat, etc.  After the second month of making the payment, the bank didn't want to take them from me because they said that account was closed.  I was insistent they take the payment.  I didn't care how they applied it but I wasn't having them coming back later saying I missed payments because I knew this was a mistake.

At one point, we got a check for several thousand dollars from the bank with a letter stating we had overpaid our loan and they were refunding us the money.  I was so frustrated and tired of the incompetence, I finally told them if the boat was paid in full, I wanted the title.  Somehow that finally prompted them to realize that this was all an error.  Apparently the dealership sent in a pay-off on a boat that was traded in and it was applied to our loan.

Luckily I had taken all these checks and put them in an account so when everything was straightened out and our loan re-opened, I was able to write one large check for all the payments that were returned.  But as I suspected, when the loan was opened again, the bank reported to the credit bureau that we were 4 months behind in payments so that started another bunch of calls and letters to get our credit fixed.  I vowed then and there never to do business with National City again.                

Honored Contributor

Banks don’t administer ‘lie detector tests’....that doesn’t make sense. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

@sidsmom, the bank wasn't going to be the one to administer the test. They wanted her to drive to Columbus, which is about 2 hours from us, and submit to a lie detector test because the teller said my friend had gotten that money back.  The bank was taking the position that my friend was lying.  When my friend was told they wanted her to submit to a lie detector test, one of our bosses got involved and when he got involved, the bank got more serious about trying to find out what happened. 

Trusted Contributor

They should be charged with some type of crime.  

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@sidsmom, the bank wasn't going to be the one to administer the test. They wanted her to drive to Columbus, which is about 2 hours from us, and submit to a lie detector test because the teller said my friend had gotten that money back.  The bank was taking the position that my friend was lying.  When my friend was told they wanted her to submit to a lie detector test, one of our bosses got involved and when he got involved, the bank got more serious about trying to find out what happened. 

@Lipstickdiva, can a bank compel someone to take a lie detector test?  I don't think they can. 

Regular Contributor

@Krimpette I have worked in a bank for 46 years and spent many years in the teller and customer service area.  My guess is that this was a transfer between a customers two accounts.  The person entering the transfer into the system probably entered a number in wrong and it happened to be a legitimate account number.  Those kinds of errors are not found right away because no cash is involved so the teller would not be off at the end of the day.  My guess is the actual customer who's money it was looked at their accounts a week or two later and was wondering where the money was and contacted they bank who then did an investigation.  In my opinion it was not a malicous error on the part of the teller just a wrong key stroke or two.  The people who spent the money knew it wasn't theirs so instead of calling the bank and asking a question they went out and had fun. I can't believe how many people on social media are saying they should be able to keep the money. 

It is what it is!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bri369 wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Lipstickdiva, can a bank compel someone to take a lie detector test?  I don't think they can. 

@Bri369 

No.

When I worked for the Bank, we had a Fraud department who worked

directly with the police.  In fact, many of those bank employees were

former police officers...scared the pants off of me when they would come visit our office. The lady we worked with was so darn sweet, but oooof you know it’s gotta be bad when an associate is asked to come to the regional office at 2:00...and Fraud department is waiting for them at 1:45.  The Associates usually walked out without their keys & a termination letter in hand.  Never a good thing when meeting with the Fraud Department. 

IOW...depending on the case, the terminated associate would be

working with the police from that point forward...and anything related 

to the case, it would police, not the bank. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bri369 wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

No.  No one can make you take it. They wanted her to voluntarily submit to it.  The manager told her if she didn't  have the extra money, she should have no problem taking a lie detector test. She refused.  So then they threatened to contact the police to have charges filed against her thinking that would get her to take the lie detector.  She still told them no.  

My boss is the one who told them they needed to look at their employee, maybe she had the money.  Obviously I'm not sure if that was on the bank's radar prior or not.  I only know what was going on on her end.  It was very interesting how the bank started to put 2 and 2 together with her.

After the employee confessed, the manager called our office and profusely apologized to my friend and that was the end of it.  

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva, I would have refused the lie detector test.  Threatening to call the police would have made me nervous though.