Honored Contributor

Re: PA Woman Attacked by Bear While Walking Dog

[ Edited ]

Bears can also smell food on clothing.  So if you live in or near a rural area, you actually might want to change clothing if you are going out.  I learned this when I went camping in the Appalachian mountains.  Black bears in those parts.  They are actually quite frightened of people.  But hunger pushes them near where people live. Anyway, we had to change after we ate.  And hung up the clothes on the trees.   Thank god we don't have brown bears.  They are much, much worse.  

I live near a state park.  Years ago, I was standing by a road  waiting for the university shuttle.  On one side is a heavily wooded area, the other side railroad tracks.  A car stopped and the person inside asked me if I had seen a bear!  I said no almost unbelieving the person.  A black bear (a yearling and weighing 140 lbs had been seen in the the town by the woods raiding garbage cans.  People chased the bear back in the woods, but it was still trying to get in garbage cans. Anyway, they caught the bear behind someone's yard and took it back to the mountains.  This is the bear.  Hard to believe it weighed 140 lbs  because it was so young.  The bear at one point, was behind my house.  He was caught about a block away.

The black bear that officials captured in Arbutus was released in an undisclosed location in Western Maryland.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

That's too bad. Hopefully she will be ok & the dog too.

I don't think they should put the bear down. It says the bear was either protecting her cubs or it was because deer parts were left outside. I'm sure the bear could smell that.

They just need to round them up & move them further out.

I guess things like this are bound to happen when we move to areas near theirs.

If I lived in bear territory I would not be out walking my dog after dark.

Bears are rounded up and moved hundreds of miles away, but somehow they find their way back.  Once the bears are caught, they are tagged.  Many bears are moved several times in their lifetime, further and further away, but they  will come back to their territory. They are smart animals.

Honored Contributor

Re: PA Woman Attacked by Bear Walking Dog

@stevieb wrote:

@shopperqvc wrote:

While it's a shame the woman was badly injured, and also her poor little dog, people are building their homes in areas that are the homes of wild animals. We have coyotes that are coming into town here. And people want the coyotes dead because of it.

The mama bear was doing what she is supposed to do, and she will be killed for doing what comes naturally to her. That's not right either. 

Although there will be people that will work with the cubs to get them to live in the wild, it's not the same as if their mother worked with them. And, if someday, they wander into an area where there are humans, and they defend their young, or want food, they will lose their life as well.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like that someone was harmed. But, we build next to a corn field and then complaim about mice in the house. We build next to a body of water, then we aren't happy when the water invades our homes. We build by a forest, and then aren't happy when the wildlife enters our space. Move over world, here we are.

We have encroached on virtually every lst bit of natrual habitat and our solution is to kill the animal... No... Just no... Reloate the mother bear and her cubs to a forest and leave them the hell alone... No need for people to teach the cubs how to be bears... This really ticks me off...

@stevieb.  Since Albuquerque is right at the foot of mountains, it's not unusual for bears to wander into town.  The normal procedure is to trap or tranquilize them, give them an ear tag and relocate them to a farway new area.  They are euthanized if they are multiple offenders or have attacked someone, which is rare.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Just heard an update on our news. The woman is in critical condition and they are saying

that the bear MAY have had cubs with her. 

So they are not sure. Hoping this lady makes it.

Honored Contributor

We live where there is mostly woods and the only time we see black bear is in the Spring. As big as they get I wish they would just stay way up in the state gamelands, but I guess when they are hungry they are hungry.That poor woman must have been terrified.

Respected Contributor

Re: PA Woman Attacked by Bear Walking Dog

@shopperqvc. Well said

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Honored Contributor

Ironically, the dog, a chihuahua, is named Bear.