Respected Contributor

Re: PA Woman Attacked by Bear Walking Dog

@stevieb wrote:

@shopperqvc wrote:

While it's a shame the woman was badly injured, and also her poor little dog, people are building their homes in areas that are the homes of wild animals. We have coyotes that are coming into town here. And people want the coyotes dead because of it.

The mama bear was doing what she is supposed to do, and she will be killed for doing what comes naturally to her. That's not right either. 

Although there will be people that will work with the cubs to get them to live in the wild, it's not the same as if their mother worked with them. And, if someday, they wander into an area where there are humans, and they defend their young, or want food, they will lose their life as well.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like that someone was harmed. But, we build next to a corn field and then complaim about mice in the house. We build next to a body of water, then we aren't happy when the water invades our homes. We build by a forest, and then aren't happy when the wildlife enters our space. Move over world, here we are.

We have encroached on virtually every last bit of natrual habitat and our solution is to kill the animal... No... Just no... Reloate the mother bear and her cubs to a forest and leave them the hell alone... No need for people to teach the cubs how to be bears... This really ticks me off...

ITA x 1000. It is a tragic that someone and their dog got hurt, but the wild animal was being a wild animal.  Why do we attach human emotions to the wild animals and expect them to know the lay of the land.  Just ridiculous.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I live in PA.  Our local news is reporting that the lady went out to smoke a cigarette and let her little chihuahua out to do his business when she was attacked by the bear.

Her little dog barked and distracted the bear until the lady got away.

The bear was probably attracted to her yard because she had discarded deer parts on her property from a recent hunt.

The bears in PA are multiplying fast.  One of my neighbors said he saw a bear in our  neighborhood, which I find to be crazy.

We had them last summer in our camping neighborhood...never saw them before in the 18 years we have been there. Dairy cows, yes, bears, no.

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom

If the baby bears are not weaned, they will stay w/their trapped mother.

If they are in the "teaching" stages (juniors), they will leave their mother once they are hungry looking for food an/or scraps.  It's the "juniors" you see on the news wading in pools, going in garbage cans, etc.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom  Read the title and thought, "How can a bear walk a dog?" THEN, read your entire post. WOW, great article! 

Seems like we have had previous conversations about bears in Pittsburg, PA. Not sure if Muncy Creek Twnsp. is close or not. Imagine the bear was foraging for food when the women and her dog startled it without having any idea the bear was around. Thanks for posting.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Trusted Contributor

@Scorpio1971 wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Scorpio1971 wrote:

@Qcloudy wrote:

Never seen a bear walking a dog. Heart

@Qcloudy

Hahaha!  How about:  Woman attacked by bear WHILE SHE WAS walking dog.  Smiley LOL

@Scorpio1971

I tried that, but it was too long for the thread title!

Please forgive me, LOL!

Hmmmm.....how about:  Bear attacks woman walking her dog??  LOL! Smiley Happy

-----------------------------

Woman waking dog,  attacked by bear 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SuhseKand @KingstonsMom   How about these ideas for space? 

(BTW, I knew you didn't have room when I saw it. It was FUN!)

Bear Attacks Woman and Dog 

OR . . .

Bear Attacks Woman Walking Dog

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree, sad all the way around.  I am not demeaning the injuries incurred...just very sad.

@Scorpio1971 wrote:

This is very sad for all.  But especially for the mother bear that was only protecting her cubs and acting on instinct.  I always hear & see reports that you should make a lot of noise when walking in wooded areas so wild animals hear you and have time to flee.  Perhaps carrying bells & ringing them or other types of noise makers that can warn animals while walking might be something for her & others to do when they are in wooded areas.

Honored Contributor

Re: PA Woman Attacked by Bear While Walking Dog

First of all, glad that the woman and her dog survived and wishing them quick recoveries.

Probably not a good idea to leave out deer parts, no matter what.  Mountain lions, raccoons, wolves, etc., etc.  

All sorts of critters out there, just waiting for the scent of food.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

That's too bad. Hopefully she will be ok & the dog too.

I don't think they should put the bear down. It says the bear was either protecting her cubs or it was because deer parts were left outside. I'm sure the bear could smell that.

They just need to round them up & move them further out.

I guess things like this are bound to happen when we move to areas near theirs.

If I lived in bear territory I would not be out walking my dog after dark.

Respected Contributor

I agree with shopperqvc.  We (humans) are taking their (critters) territory.  It makes me sad when the humans decide the solution is to kill the animals.  They were here first.