Esteemed Contributor

PA Residents Crossing State Lines For Booze.

Let me start by saying while I occasionally (maybe 3/4 times a year) enjoy a glass of wine, I am not what you would call a drinker. I don't feel a bottle of liquor is a life-sustaining need.

I just read some of my follow Pennsylvanians along the western border  are going to some counties in Ohio and W. Virginia to buy liquor.  Beer distributors in PA are still open and you can still buy wine at some grocery stores.

Thankfully, those out of state counties are clamping down and not allowing the out of state purchases.  Kick their butts back to PA.  Why would you risk infecting other states even more or bringing it back with you?

You can buy booze online but evidently they are very swamped.  I can't imagine, no matter how bad it gets, that driving to another state for alcohol would enter my mind.  

Honored Contributor

Re: PA Residents Crossing State Lines For Booze.

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

Let me start by saying while I occasionally (maybe 3/4 times a year) enjoy a glass of wine, I am not what you would call a drinker. I don't feel a bottle of liquor is a life-sustaining need.

I just read some of my follow Pennsylvanians along the western border  are going to some counties in Ohio and W. Virginia to buy liquor.  Beer distributors in PA are still open and you can still buy wine at some grocery stores.

Thankfully, those out of state counties are clamping down and not allowing the out of state purchases.  Kick their butts back to PA.  Why would you risk infecting other states even more or bringing it back with you?

You can buy booze online but evidently they are very swamped.  I can't imagine, no matter how bad it gets, that driving to another state for alcohol would enter my mind.  

@CrazyKittyLvr2  We live in NY and shop at Wegmans in NJ for groceries and wine at their liquor store. The state line is a mile away. It's also the same the other way around here. NJ cars into NY stores.

Trusted Contributor

People have done this for years, usually buying large quantities for parties, graduations and weddings. They probably just have more time on their hands right now. 

I agree with you, they should stay home.

Regular Contributor

I found it difficult to use the PA online site for ordering so I found a store in a state that delivers to PA.   It's getting warmer and I wanted some Tequila for margaritas and needed to refill my Jack Black.  The 4 bottles I ordered will last us until Christmas.  Wanted to give PA my money but they have made it so difficult to order online.  I was in Florida and they had liquor in the stores, no need to go to the State Store but PA refuses to give up the taxes.  

I'm not someone that drinks daily however it is something we like to have on hand when the urge hits us.  

Esteemed Contributor

@wishmoon  Buying for large events is fine and that I understand, however weddings, graduations etc. aren't happening.

I guess folks are just planning on drinking their way through this.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2Just about every liquor shop in the nation would be gone if they depended on my amount of drinking, but that's neither or or there.   Quite obviously, liquor is every important to many people.

Also, I think whatever products we personally see little use for or very occasional use for, we wouldn't travel all that far to get to it or be upset at not finding it in the local stores.

I believe there are lots of products that fall into that category although most don't have the faint hint of moral rectitude that alcohol has nor the health implications tobacco has even though I known many people to cross state lines to buy those evil sticks.

Finally, if all the liquor shoppers do is buy their liquor and return home, are they really doing any more viral damage than me when I go to the supermarket or my neighbor when she goes to the pharmacy?  How about if instead of going to the supermarket closest to home, I drive 12 miles into the next county where I know the infection and death rates are way less than in my area.  Does it really matter what I'm buying?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Those of us in tri-state areas work in one state and live in another.  How ridiculous if I couldn't shop for essentials where I work. 

If you're open, you're open for everyone.  Are they seriously carding obviously grown adults and expecting shop owners to turn down a solid buck right now? 

Cross away and give the small business owners some business.    And on behalf of those with birthdays this month, I deserve a celebratory drink.  Life does go on.

Esteemed Contributor

@millieshops  I agree.  I only go as far as I have to for anything.  There are no grocery stores in my little village so I have to travel 10 to 12 miles for most things. I hated drivingthat far for basics before all this.

We have a Dollar Store 5 miles away but are out of a lot.  We try there first anyway.

The less I am out and closer I stay to home the better and only for food and meds.

Trusted Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 I think ppl are buying now for parties in the future. What they're doing is illegal, they're dodging state taxes. Ppl have no idea how long we'll be shut up, I don't think anyone knows, but I'm guessing we'll be in a shutdown for months. Naturally, the politicians are playing it gently because ppl would rebel. Look at Michigan.

Honored Contributor

I'm in NY. , but on the Pa. border, really it's only a mile away.  Our local liquor store is doing a booming business from Pa. customers. They aren't supposed to, but no one is clamping down.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan