Esteemed Contributor

Re: PA Residents Crossing State Lines For Booze.

[ Edited ]

@CrazyKittyLvr2  I think we live in nearby counties, and I enjoy your posts; but, I have to comment on this one. The PA liquor store situation is ridiculous. The state has a totalitarian like hold on liquor sales in PA. Actually, I'm glad this happened. Maybe our state representatives will be able to break the union holding the liquor sales in their grasp. There is a lot more going on here than meets the eye.

Honored Contributor

It is illegal to transport alocholic beverages across state lines in PA.

One of my friends husband works as a PA State Trooper.  His only job is to monitor and stop and charge people who cross into Maryland go buy alcohol and transport it back into PA.

They usually don't stop a person with a bottle or two unless they do it often, but if you are planning a party or a wedding where you purchase cases and you get caught, it's not gonna be pretty.

If you drive a car with PA tags and you pull into a parking lot in Maryland where spirits are sold, you are taking a chance that somone is watching you.  When you cross over the border, you will get grabbed.

It's been like this for years.  I am sure they have Troopers at the borders of PA and other adjoining states as well.

The reason PA is strict with this is because booze has a high tax on it.  You must have a paper tax sticker accross the lid of the bottle for it to be legal to even have in PA. 

Trusted Contributor

@Laura14  ...... You might be right but Pennsylvania has deemed their liquor stores as "non-essential". The citizens of Pennsylvania should contact their representatives if they feel differently and request they open the state liquor stores as "essental". 

P.S.   My understanding is those crossing state lines do not work in Ohio. They are here to buy the liquor only. 

Respected Contributor

@Sheila P-Burg wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2  ......  Ohio just discussed this problem yesterday. When did Pennsylvania change their law that prohibited bringing liquor across state lines? If they haven"t they need to enforce their law. 

I always did hear it was a law.  Of course, I can't quote anyone or anything; however, when I first moved to this area, I was told about the DE connection, but warned that if caught, all the liquor could be confiscated and there was a fine for each bottle.  I never questioned the source and if they were correct. 

Honored Contributor

If a store is open then it's open. They then sell to anyone who has the money and meets the legal age criteria to purchase. There is no residency requirement for purchasing alcohol. This, to me, is symptomatic of the management fiasco this whole debacle has become. Understandably, we're being encouraged to travel as little as possible and yet it seems so many things we need (and, in the case of booze, want...) aren't easily available, forcing us to go out and look for them. If they want people to stay at home then do something about the supply chain. This is no longer a new phenomenon and yet many of us aren't seeing many solutions to supply issues.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

Some seem to think it's within their purview to deem one person's procurement of hooch in this free country "fine," and another...not so much. I guess you don't need hooch to be drunk with imagined power.

Hilarious lol.

What worries you masters you.
Esteemed Contributor

I live on a border. I cross for groceries. 

Esteemed Contributor

No, it's not my money nor my car and gas.  If someone wants to buy enough alcohol to line their garage with cases of beer and wine or order $1,000 bucks of the hard stuff online go for it. I don't care if Joe Blow or whoever drinks themselves stupid every day.

My point is the stay at home order except for life sustaining things is being ignored.

The US has 667,801 cases that is nearly the total number of cases of Germany, France, Italy and Spain combined. Over 32,000 people dead in the US in what, less than 2 months.

The only weapon we  have so far is staying away from each other.  It's probably why the numbers aren't worse.  The more we listen and adhere to it, maybe we will be homebound for a shorter time.

But the fact is people will continue to ignore what they should do and it's going to prolong this mess for everyone.  So have at it.

Respected Contributor

Some of you have WAY too much free time. My suggestion is that you go to the nearest hobby store, pick up some crayons and coloring books, plus some jigsaw puzzles and paint-by-number sets. 

That should keep you too occupied to be sticking your noses in other people's business.

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

No, it's not my money nor my car and gas.  If someone wants to buy enough alcohol to line their garage with cases of beer and wine or order $1,000 bucks of the hard stuff online go for it. I don't care if Joe Blow or whoever drinks themselves stupid every day.

My point is the stay at home order except for life sustaining things is being ignored.

The US has 667,801 cases that is nearly the total number of cases of Germany, France, Italy and Spain combined. Over 32,000 people dead in the US in what, less than 2 months.

The only weapon we  have so far is staying away from each other.  It's probably why the numbers aren't worse.  The more we listen and adhere to it, maybe we will be homebound for a shorter time.

But the fact is people will continue to ignore what they should do and it's going to prolong this mess for everyone.  So have at it.

I think you are duty-bound to follow them all around, note down their license plate numbers, and tattle to the cops.

There...feel better?