Honored Contributor

Do they still give U a shot in the eye ? Hopefully, they found another way to

anesthetize the eye. 

Honored Contributor

Just had my cataract surgery on Nov 15.  Just needed the right eye done.  What a difference, especially noticed it last night driving home from my daughter's house. Everything was so clear - no blurriness!  You'll be glad you did it.  Follow the directions re the drops, etc., and you'll  be fine.  I was anxious about the surgery but didn't need to be.  It was not a big deal at all.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

anesthetize the eye. 

@SharkE  Well if they do, and I don't think they did, this big chicken didn't know it.  I could hear what they were talking about but was happy and relaxed the whole time.  I saw nothing, felt nothing, and could see better when they wheeled me out of the OR.

If you had asked that I'd still be blind and running down the road!!!!!   AWAY! Woman Surprised  Woman Embarassed Woman Very Happy

If you are a nervous Nellie like me, ask about a Valium to get you to the hospital!  I got one when I got there and it helped big time through the waiting and prep. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Oy, my eyes.

[ Edited ]

@Huge Hannah wrote:

That's something I only recently thought of: I'm really near-sighted and I'm wondering if i'll need new glasses aftereard, and a little apprehensive about the cost. The ones I have now have all the bells and whistles: correction for astigmatism, light-sensing -- i.e., they automatically darken in bright sunlight--non-glare, etc. So I'll have to remember to ask about that when I consult the surgery scheduler in about 10 days.

It will be a while after your surgery (may-be 2 months) before you will know if you will still need to wear glasses.  You will have to finish the drops, etc, then they will do a final eye exam.   If you are getting the more expensive lenses placed, you may not need to wear glasses.  If you are on Medicare, I know they will pay for one pair of corrective lenses or contacts after cataract surgery.  I don't know how for sure what private insurance covers regarding this.

I did not have both my eyes done back to back.  My ophthalmologist is conservative, so there was a two year time period before she recommended surgery on my remaining eye.  During that time I was luckily still able to wear my existing prescription glasses.  Several months after I had my second eye done I had to have a posterior capsulotomy done to clear up some haziness that developed.  Simple procedure performed by laser.  

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

@SharkE,,,,,,,,,no, there is no kind of shots involved anywhere, at all.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

I had mine done earlier this year. I went from somewhere around 20/700 vision to 20/20. No need for glasses at all. Prior to my surgery I couldn’t even see the big E on the wall. I could read nothing without my glasses. Even a movie on the big screen was out of the question, no glasses, no vision. It’s a simple surgery. No needles except for the IV. Just tons of drops. I paid for the expensive multifocal lenses, had my astigmatism fixed and am very happy with the results. My surgeries were 3 weeks apart and I didn’t drive during that time because I didn’t feel it was safe with only one good eye. I wore frameless glasses prior to surgery so they couldn’t just remove a lens so I had to manage for 3 weeks. It was ok but by the end of the 3 weeks I was so ready to have the other one done. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Oy, my eyes.

[ Edited ]

I've had cataract surgery on one eye and it was a non-event, particularly after having undergone multiple procedures to fix a detached retina in that eye. When you have that particular surgery, any cataract present will likely develop very quickly and mine did.

No needles other than the IV, which I won't need if I ever develop the need to have the other eye taken care of as I didn't have any sedative. Didn't want or need it. I'm also highly allergic to all of the ophthalmic numbing drops so they just flooded the surface of the eye with lidocaine and went for it. I felt a very slight pinch and that was it. I was driving the next morning. 

I now wear multi focal contact lenses and can see just fine. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Regular Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

anesthetize the eye. 

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek! did you HAVE to say that?