Trusted Contributor

Right now I'm having a real uncomfortable time with my skin. I need to get in to see my dermatologist but till then my skin itches so bad I could (and sometimes do) scratch myself bloody. It's EXTREMELY painful; sometimes I taking sleeping pills just to dull the pain.

Having said that, my dermatologist gave me something that does help but it's so unpleasant to drink. It's kind of powdery and gritty and it practically chokes me but....wonder of wonder and miracle of miracles....it HELPS! it's so nice NOT to have my midsection itch  so much I could scream. Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this?

The last 5 years or so have been--medically and health-wise--really miserable. My appendix burst (and boy did THAT hurt Smiley Sad--I say special prayers of thanks to God for pain medicine) and I've had both hips replaced, plus my shoulders have each been repaired twice each. Had two rounds of bunion surgery that were somewhat successful but when doc wanted to go to round 3, I told him "No frickin' way".

So far my knees are holding up well but if they start to go south, I'm going to look into stem cell therapy rather than surgery. My sister's knees might be starting to bark at her and I've suggested that if necessary, she look into stem cell therapy. which she dismisses out of hand. Won't even consider it. Very unwise, in my opinion, and I suspect that if the suggestion hadn't come from me, she'd consder it.

But I really DO say prayers of thanks every day for modern medicine, especially pain medicine. I don't know how I could have gotten through all this without sufficient pain relief. If I have to go through all this, at least I have pain medicine to keep me from being overwhelmed.

Thank you, Jesus! Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

lOL...sorry but your story appeared to be written with great humor.I hope your itching problem can be solved quickly.Have you tried apple cider vinegar,coconut oil or even oatmeal tub soaks?

Respected Contributor

Oh my gosh @FuzzyFace I feel so bad for you...the skin thing alone is just awful . Thank heaven you get some relief from medication  ....my heart goes out to you.

Honored Contributor

I had hip surgery at the end of 2015 and I still have pain in my upper leg near the hip.  I recently developed a rash from a new dusting powder I bought.  OMG!  It itches like crazy so I am treating it with zinc oxide and non itching cream and it is coming along but not gone yet.  Yes, as we age we may feel like a million bucks inside but all the parts start breaking down!  lol  I hope you feel better.  Make sure you have a non itch cream on hand at all times.  Either Benadryl or Target are good choices.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

@FuzzyFace

I'm so sorry for all ur suffering. No - we're not meant to suffer. There has to be a simple answer for ur itchiness. Do u use liquid detergent in the washing machine with no scent? Maybe u have to change ur bar soap or liquid soap. I buy lots of soaps, moisturizers, creams from L'Occitane dot com. All their products are from Provence, France. If ur using body powder, try stopping.

I get itchy when the weather is very dry -- and my little dog also starts scratching.

There are some food products that may causing itching --- google everything u can.

For almost 17 yrs I was dealing with severe diarrhea and 4 top doctors told me there's nothing to help me. Well - a few months ago, my primary care doctor had me go for a colonoscopy - and that doctor removed one polyp. I'm now CURED!!!!!!!!

Good Luck

Sandy in Calif.

Honored Contributor

@FuzzyFace wrote:

Right now I'm having a real uncomfortable time with my skin. I need to get in to see my dermatologist but till then my skin itches so bad I could (and sometimes do) scratch myself bloody. It's EXTREMELY painful; sometimes I taking sleeping pills just to dull the pain.

Having said that, my dermatologist gave me something that does help but it's so unpleasant to drink. It's kind of powdery and gritty and it practically chokes me but....wonder of wonder and miracle of miracles....it HELPS! it's so nice NOT to have my midsection itch  so much I could scream. Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this?

The last 5 years or so have been--medically and health-wise--really miserable. My appendix burst (and boy did THAT hurt Smiley Sad--I say special prayers of thanks to God for pain medicine) and I've had both hips replaced, plus my shoulders have each been repaired twice each. Had two rounds of bunion surgery that were somewhat successful but when doc wanted to go to round 3, I told him "No frickin' way".

So far my knees are holding up well but if they start to go south, I'm going to look into stem cell therapy rather than surgery. My sister's knees might be starting to bark at her and I've suggested that if necessary, she look into stem cell therapy. which she dismisses out of hand. Won't even consider it. Very unwise, in my opinion, and I suspect that if the suggestion hadn't come from me, she'd consder it.

But I really DO say prayers of thanks every day for modern medicine, especially pain medicine. I don't know how I could have gotten through all this without sufficient pain relief. If I have to go through all this, at least I have pain medicine to keep me from being overwhelmed.

Thank you, Jesus! Woman Very Happy

@FuzzyFace  I feel so badly for all you’ve been through and the pain you’re experiencing. I must say, with all I’ve read and heard about pain meds, please try to find alternatives....anything like creams, etc. Pain meds can be a slippery slope as I’m sure you know.

Trusted Contributor

Is it shingles?

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Hi Lisa Y--No, it's not shingles; I had that years ago.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC Inappropriate

Trusted Contributor

I have a friend who go the Shingles 4 times.

@FuzzyFace wrote:

Hi Lisa Y--No, it's not shingles; I had that years ago.