Super Contributor

Overlooked For 5 Years, Heartbreaking Sign Gets Chester The Dog Adopted

Overlooked For 5 Years, Heartbreaking Sign Gets Chester The Dog Adopted

It's hard to believe that anyone could resist those puppy-dog eyes, but for half a decade, prospective pet owners who visited the New York shelters where Chester lived didn't elect to bring him home. According to Metro.co.uk, Gabby Stroup, a manager at the North Fork Animal Welfare League in Peconic, NY, at the tip of Long Island, Chester's shelter up until recently, posted the above image to their Facebook page in an effort to find a forever family for Chester. The heartstring-tugging sign read:

Why doesn't anybody want me? I've been waiting 5 years. Everyone at the shelter tells me what a good boy I am so why has no one adopted me? I promise to be good and love my family. Please maybe you are my new family. I sit and wait for you to come. Chester

(We'll wait while you dry your eyes.)

Six-thousand shares and just two days later, Chester was adopted. "It was crazy," Gabby said. "People called from Illinois, North Carolina, South Carolina, Mississippi, Michigan, Oregon, New Jersey, Wisconsin, Nova Scotia, Australia and more—people were tearing up as they called." But Chester didn't have to go that far to start his new life. A family about an hour away in Lake Ronkonkoma, Long Island, visited the shelter and instantly fell in love with Chester. "We saw him and we felt connected. It was meant to be," says Adi Dor, husband to Dana and father to Aidan and Brandon.

On April 4, shelter volunteers gathered to say goodbye, and then Chester went off with the Dors, presumably, to live happily ever after.

Respected Contributor

Re: Overlooked for 5 Years....

I rarely cry if ever but this just made me weep....

Such a beautiful thread. Thank you and wishing Chester a happy time with his new family..

Super Contributor

Just look at that sweet little face...this little buddy just got to me. So Glad he found a new home.

Esteemed Contributor

There are so many great dogs that are passed over. Chester was very lucky to be at a shelter that had the funds to keep him that long. He has a good home now.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

this made me weep....I am so glad Chester has a home....

Super Contributor

ya' got me... Glad he found a home.. He sure is a handsome dog.

Esteemed Contributor

I would have taken him in a heartbeat! Those eyes remind me so much of my little Boxer Dog friend, Roxie, who lived next door for nine years. I took care of her a lot, for weeks at a time, when her elderly owner was sick or in a nursing home. She called me a couple of weeks ago, and Roxie had to go to the Rainbow Bridge. Now I'm crying not only because of Chester (happy tears)Smile, but thinking of Roxie (sad tears). I'm always looking for her to be out in the yard a few times a day... {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Esteemed Contributor

I LOVE a happy ending !

Honored Contributor

What a wonderful shelter, keeping Chester alive for five years. This is the type of shelter that should receive many donations. The proof is there, that donations are being properly used. I'm thinking that the staff will miss Chester, but are happy that he has a nice, new family. Smile

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Contributor

Great news - so happy for Chester!