Esteemed Contributor

Re: Over-Used Phrases That Make Me Scream!

"That's a good question".......

Respected Contributor

@this is my nic wrote:

@hellie jo

Thank you!  I had an English ( language arts) teacher for two years who was a real stickler for proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation.  My mother was the same; if I misspoke I was told about it so I am very aware of improper grammar, written or spoken.  

Actually English was not a subject I liked but it sure did stick.LOL

Honored Contributor

@nicky221 wrote:

The one my son started using a few months ago, he ends every sentence with - "you know what I mean" literally every sentence. The other night my husband did it, I wanted to scream. I told him to never That again. 

My my teenage daughter when she did something wrong "well, can't do anything about it now" aaaahhhhhhh 😡. Last time she had that attitude she had cause our phone bill to have over $600.00 in text charges and when we showed her the bill, that's what she said while texting! She never had a phone again until she turned 18 and paid for it herself. Taking away a teenage girls phone is a sight to see.

Love it!!

Can't do anything about it now?  Seems as though you could and effectively got rid of the origin of the problem!!  Exceptional parenting!!   

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

"Throw"--throw your clothes in the dryer, throw your cookies in the oven, throw your makeup bag in your Dooney and Bourke bag, etc., etc.

QVC Customer Care

[ Edited ]

I hate the phrase "cool beans", "easy peasy", "awesome sauce" and I hate when I read posts that have your when it should be you're or there when is should be their and especially to when it should be too.... (I may be going too deep now.. let me come back) 

What about "sorry for your lost"  when it should be loss. 

I have a friend that also likes to says "unbeknowst to me" 

QVC Customer Care

@Melvin-QVC

You have a friend? Unbeknownst to me!

Beth QVC

Super Contributor

Putting two peoples name together into one

Shortening words like Vacation. How hard it is it to

type that or say it instead of Vaca.

Enough on my or on their plate

It is what it is

At the end of the day

Sorry not Sorry

Cray Cray

I just cant

I cant even

Awesomesauce or Amazeb*lls

Yassss

Bae

NOT a phrase BUT all of the HIGH FIVING!

Honored Contributor

I just want to know if it's appropriate to put awesome sauce on cool beans.  An easy peasy recipe to be sure. Woman Wink

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Valued Contributor

@Carol Diane wrote:

People starting every sentence with So.... And the word "literally" used in every other sentence when it doesn't have to be used at all.  I have to laugh when I hear some of the dumb ways people use this word....it doesn't even make sense in the sentence.   While I'm typing this, a host used it 3 times.

@Carol Diane 

l thought it was just me. I started noticing everyone on TV using the word "So", at the beginning of every sentence. It drives me nuts!

So, the price of gold is going up. So, 1 + 1 equals 2. So, I had a hamburger for lunch.  Arrrrg!!!

When did this become the norm?

Honored Contributor

Ugh,  because it's an unpleasant word that belongs in comic books along with bam, glack, boom...

My Love 

Stinker, stinken, stinky, because they're unpleasant words with unpleasant meanings.

I like so, because it means in conclusion refering to what has gone before.