Respected Contributor

Re: Over-Used Phrases That Make Me Scream!

Most of the time these phrases don’t bother me unless a host’s vocabulary is peppered with them, then I mute or don’t bother to tune in. But when “I seen it” is spoken, that drives me nuts. I believe it is the most common grammar mistake I hear on the Q, right up there with “these ones.”

Valued Contributor

I used to have a "buzzword bingo" app on my company BlackBerry ... every time someone used a cliche during a meeting, you'd check it off.

"at the end of the day"

"it is what it is"

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Always interesting to read what jangles our nerves, isn't it?   I'm pretty easygoing, but I do notice some of the repetitive usage of some of the words and phrases already mentioned.   I would add "bully/bullyed/bullying" as something that's an important and even dangerous concern but has been watered down by people using it improperly, when they don't like criticism or don't like others having views that differ from theirs.   

As for those listed on this thread, I'm guilty of some of them.   I was surprised on an old thread that someone mentioned "hth" (meaning "hope that's helpful" or "hope that helps") as highly annoying...   I use that now and then, with good intent.   I suppose we don't always see our own repetitious nature.😊

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

I just thought of another one..................

_________________is the new black!  This one really makes me want to barf!

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

Reach out

Change it up (why the up?)Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

I have lots to scream about these days but over-used phrases don't phase me nor are they on my radar...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dooBdoo wrote:

Always interesting to read what jangles our nerves, isn't it?   I'm pretty easygoing, but I do notice some of the repetitive usage of some of the words and phrases already mentioned.   I would add "bully/bullyed/bullying" as something that's an important and even dangerous concern but has been watered down by people using it improperly, when they don't like criticism or don't like others having views that differ from theirs.   

As for those listed on this thread, I'm guilty of some of them.   I was surprised on an old thread that someone mentioned "hth" (meaning "hope that's helpful" or "hope that helps") as highly annoying...   I use that now and then, with good intent.   I suppose we don't always see our own repetitious nature.😊

(bolded by me)  Really?  That is kind of bizarre to me.  Why would it be annoying to answer somebody's question and state that you 'hope that helps' at the end?   I'm gobsmacked at that one.

Granted, numerous of the ones mentioned here don't bother me at all.  Well 99% of them I suppose because I mostly pay attention to what somebody is conveying, and I do a couple of these things. 

Ok, unless there is poor grammar and I will often get stuck there.   (e.g. any sentence that starts with 'Me and...' will make my head explode and I won't hear the rest of the sentence)

But this one is - I'm just not getting it.    That I try to help somebody and then express that I hope it helps seems nice to me.   It's always been a decent thing to say, so I really am curious as to why some find it offensive.  I'm not being snarky or smarmy.  I honestly am curious as to why that would be offensive.   I like to learn so, if there is something to learn here, maybe I need to learn it.

Frequent Contributor

@Caffeina wrote:

I'll do...(especially in a restaurant)

YES! Or, "I'll take...."

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chickenbutt wrote:

(bolded by me)  Really?  That is kind of bizarre to me.  Why would it be annoying to answer somebody's question and state that you 'hope that helps' at the end?   I'm gobsmacked at that one.

Granted, numerous of the ones mentioned here don't bother me at all.  Well 99% of them I suppose because I mostly pay attention to what somebody is conveying, and I do a couple of these things. 

Ok, unless there is poor grammar and I will often get stuck there.   (e.g. any sentence that starts with 'Me and...' will make my head explode and I won't hear the rest of the sentence)

But this one is - I'm just not getting it.    That I try to help somebody and then express that I hope it helps seems nice to me.   It's always been a decent thing to say, so I really am curious as to why some find it offensive.  I'm not being snarky or smarmy.  I honestly am curious as to why that would be offensive.   I like to learn so, if there is something to learn here, maybe I need to learn it.

Hi, chickie!   It surprised me, too.   The explanation was that it sounded condescending or sarcastic.    Since I don't use sarcasm and do my best not to be condescending, it never occurred to me to "hear" it that way.   I still use it, and hope people know it's with good intent and that I genuinely hope I'm helping.

I agree about learning.   It helps to know what bugs someone else and to find out why.   Better communication is the result, I feel.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Frequent Contributor

@Bascia wrote:

Over used phrases that make me scream.

Jill Bauer -  Love it,  love it.   When ever she is on I turn her off.

Jane Tracey  - Love you when ever she speaks to someone  Love you

David Venable - not a phrase but that that "dumb"  Happy Dance.  he is like a little kid on his shows any more.  I know people love him but needs to grow up some.

Shawn Kilinger with all the made up words she uses.  Enough already.

And MarkCharles - "on you". This peeler won't slip on you. This grinder won't clog on you.....

And Meredith Lawrence - "no problem".