Honored Contributor

Re: Over 100 years old and still driving!

Glad that car is red!Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@ellaphant Not totally true....there are many on the road today texting who are more dangerous than any one who drives without texting.  I was almost hit by a woman in a cr with about 5 kids.  She came right across my left front on  a four lane highway.  Luckily I was able to move one lane over.  She was unaware of her action and proceeded straight ahear without any concern.  She was texting when I saw her phone...she never stopped texting.  Also, there are a number of drivers on our roads driving without licenses or insurance.  

Respected Contributor

Looks like the typical red convertible sports car driver.  Seriously. In my experience, the hotter the car, the balder the driver. 

Esteemed Contributor

While there are plenty of bad drivers of all ages on the road, a 100 yr. old most likely does not have great reflexes, even if his mind is sharp.

I don't want a 100 yr. old driving any more than I would want a 100 yr. old responsible for babysitting a toddler. You need quick reflexes for both tasks.

Honored Contributor

Older drivers do need to take new vision and hearing tests with each renewal in Florida. 

Honored Contributor

I saw that story on TV, Inside Edition, and that woman in the car is his fiance, if I remember that correctly. She told the reporters that when she gets in the car to go for a ride with him, she closes her eyes!...LOL!!Woman LOL 

Super Contributor

I saw the news clip about him a couple of days ago.   They live in a large retirement community which is where he does most of his driving.   Good for him!   Not everyone over 80 is a feeble or a danger on the road. 

Honored Contributor

For anyone saying that not all drivers over the age of 80 are menaces on the road never had to deal with one.

Honored Contributor

Not everyone is the same of course, but I’m not convinced that any 100 year old should be driving, and very few in their 90s as well. I recall seeing photos of Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip driving in the past year and in my opinion neither one should be doing it at their age.
Honored Contributor

I wouldn't assume that he's a dangerous driver because of his age. 
There are a lot of women who give up driving too soon because of age and fear and start depending on others which limits your world and makes one less self reliant. 

I have more problems with 16 year olds on the road which I think is entirely too young.