Trusted Contributor

Re: Over 100 years old and still driving!

Esteemed Contributor

@GenXmuse 

@GenXmuse wrote:

I wouldn't assume that he's a dangerous driver because of his age. 
There are a lot of women who give up driving too soon because of age and fear and start depending on others which limits your world and makes one less self reliant. 

I have more problems with 16 year olds on the road which I think is entirely too young. 

My 93 year old female friend gave up her license.  She only drive 2miles t o the th and back.  Now she feels trapped a prisoner In her own home. She says she feels  in jail and wish she never gave it up.

Respected Contributor

Having dealt with an elderly mother that became an unsafe driver (my oldest brother finally put a halt to it as she wouldn't listen to me "her baby"), I think after a certain age, drivers should be road tested yearly by the DMV.

Denise
Respected Contributor

I don't find bragging about being 100 and still driving a notable accomplishment.  Diminished reaction time, failing eyesight, who knows what meds this person is on.  6 years in between testing?? Glad I don't live in Florida.

Esteemed Contributor

We're glad you don't either. 

Many seniors are health and have a sharp mind.  They don't cause as many accidents as you think!  At least, they have learned to drive without a phone in their hand!

Esteemed Contributor

This is so wrong.  He does have neuro deficits at that age.  His reactions in times of crisis will be lagging.  How can the state he lives in allow anyone that age to still operate any type of motor vehicle, including farm equipment?

About 30 years ago, the California Highway Patrol did a study regarding the reaction times of legally drunk drivers (just over the limit) and drivers with the flu.  In this test, it was found that the group of drivers with the flu were far more impaired in their reaction time than the legally drunk drivers.

I can only imagine what the effect of losing millions of neurons over several decades has done to a person's brain, especially the medulla oblongata.

About 20 years ago, I was in downtown San Francisco shopping and had parked in the Sutter Street parking garage.  Upon returning to the garage, I had just walked in about 10 paces, when I heard a horrible crash.  It was a Mercedes Benz, which had crashed into one of the two passenger elevators in the garage.  The engine was still going and the accelerator in a high rev.  One of the garage guys ran over, pulled and pulled on the driver's door to open it (it was rather jammed), turned off the engine and helped the driver out.  As we learned in about 5 minutes, she was 95 and told her rescuer she had forgotten which pedal was which, so slammed on the accelerator, when she should have braked going around the last corner of the cork screw exits, from floor to floor.  The damage to the elevator unfortunately damaged both elevators, so everyone had to walk up stairs to their cars.  Returning 2 weeks later for a hair appointment, the elevators were still down.  That lady in her tre-expensive car caused that much-used downtown garage to lose a great deal of business.  I hope they yanked her license.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@sfnative Your story reminded me of an elevator accident that happened when I was younger attending a hair show in NYC. ( I have mentioned this incident before)

Most of the stylists in the salon I was working in took the train to NYC.  One of the gals just got a brand new Grand Prix andshe decided to drive herself and her sister....both worked in the salon.

She parked in a garage that was several stories high.  The cars were loaded on an elevator and taken up to a higher level, especially if you were going to be parked for several days.

After a few days, we were all ready to go home.  We all walked to the garage to see this Brand new car that we had heard so much about.  The whole gang stood there while the Young attendant  went to get her vehicle.

Imagine our horror when the car was driven into the open elevator and it fell several stories with the young man behind the wheel.  The gal who owned the car screamed and ran over.  Her car was totaled.  Thankfully, the young man only had minor injuries, but he was scared.

She was ready to kill him with her bare hands.  We had to physically restrain her from hurting him, she was out of her mind upset. Her car only had a few hundred of miles on it and it was gone.

This guy was maybe 23 to 25 years old.  He wasn't elderly, but used poor judgement and apparently wasn't paying attention.  He was lucky he wasn't killed or seriously injured.

Driver error accidents happen at any age.

Honored Contributor

I question his reflex.  Not so much his judgement.  The more experience you have, the much better driver you are.  Reason why teens are a menace on the road.  But bottom line, nearly all seniors don't want to give up the car, no matter the age.  They would have to resort to public transportation which is usually not very efficient or available. Most would never give up the car. 2 things you never give up in America.  Your gun or your car.

Honored Contributor

@qvcaddition wrote:

@GenXmuse 

@GenXmuse wrote:

There are a lot of women who give up driving too soon because of age and fear and start depending on others which limits your world and makes one less self reliant. 

I have more problems with 16 year olds on the road which I think is entirely too young. 

My 93 year old female friend gave up her license.  She only drive 2miles t o the th and back.  Now she feels trapped a prisoner In her own home. She says she feels  in jail and wish she never gave it up.

@qvcaddition 

Seems she could ride a bicycle for that distance, safely on sidewalks.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@qvcaddition wrote:

@GenXmuse 

@GenXmuse wrote:

@qvcaddition 

Seems she could ride a bicycle for that distance, safely on sidewalks.

@sidsmom  Many streets have no sidewalks.