Honored Contributor

Re: Over 100 years old and still driving!

Wow.  Just every 6 years with all the elderly people who live in FL?   People are living longer and healthier now so we're going to see more of them driving.  It's age discrimination to require the elderly to test more frequently than anyone else. And families don't want the responsibility of driving seniors around.  Our friend who is in his 90's knew when it was time to stop driving, I think most seniors know when it's time to put the car keys away.

Trusted Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

Rather than badger aging parents to give up driving, get them a car that has a back up camera, the alert system that warns when getting too close to an object, and aromatically brakes before crashing into the back of the car that's suddenly stopped in front of them.

Sorry, thats a stupid comment,  if they need all that equipment on their vehicle  to be safe, they should not be driving!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

Cars have back up cameras so there is no need for neck turning. We all should have learned defensive driving so we can navigate, the distracted mothers with crying babies, teen texters, over tired insomniac drivers, tailgaters, and the few senior citizens just driving to the store.

@occasionalrain  Just got a car with a back up camera about four months ago. Didn’t have one before that with my 2001 Jeep.

Yes you do need to turn your head, its called checking blind spots, cameras don't cover blind spots

Honored Contributor

@willomenia  Then you would oppose the disabled having specially equipped cars too and be prohibited from driving. 

No more need for handicapped parking since only the physically able would be licensed.

Far better to raise the legal age to drive to at least 18. 

Honored Contributor

@willomenia wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

Rather than badger aging parents to give up driving, get them a car that has a back up camera, the alert system that warns when getting too close to an object, and aromatically brakes before crashing into the back of the car that's suddenly stopped in front of them.

Sorry, thats a stupid comment,  if they need all that equipment on their vehicle  to be safe, they should not be driving!

@willomenia 

ITA

Along that same logic, driving drunk or distracted w/ cellphone usage

would be OK.  If I'm drunk, the car will stop for me, right?

If I'm on a cell phone, the car's going to stop so....

why make those things illegal?

Honored Contributor

If he's been driving for 100 years you'd think he'd have arrived by now.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

@willomenia  Then you would oppose the disabled having specially equipped cars too and be prohibited from driving. 

No more need for handicapped parking since only the physically able would be licensed.

Far better to raise the legal age to drive to at least 18. 

You of course must be kidding! There is a big difference between handicapped equipment vehicles and old people who need a car to drive itself because they sre too feeble to drive. Yes, there is a big difference. 

Esteemed Contributor

@froggy 

@froggy wrote:

I'd be more worried about other drivers on the road than about him.

Younger drivers today are terrible drivers.  Fast, don,t stop for pedestrians, rude.  Not all , but the majority i,vs seen.  How about the people texting while driving?  I have to be careful while walking and crossing the street.  When I drive here in CA, I need eyes in back of my head with the crazy drivers.

Good for him enjoying .  

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie 

@Carmie wrote:

Just because someone is older does not make them a dangerous driver.  People are individuals. There are bad drivers at every age.  

I love his car.. good for him. he is making the most of his life.

ITA

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well, hopefully he lives in a very small town in Florida with hardly any traffic!

dee

ETA: As my dear late mother would say, "old codger".