Honored Contributor

Re: Over 100 years old and still driving!

My husband's best friend is 75.  He works full time driving a bus that picks up handicapped adults and the elderly and takes them to doctor appointments.  He doesn't plan to give up his job any time soon.  He loves what he does.

There are two men in my neighborhood who are in their late 90's.  Both still drive and do their own yard work, including cutting the grass with a walk behind mower.

We are RVers.  There are many elderly people 90+ who drive those big Class A RV buses.

Many elderly people are in great shape and sharp as a tack and have good reflexes.  I see nothing wrong with them being active and even driving.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My opinion is that he is truly the exception, and not the rule.

I had one family member still driving at 90, but she shouldn't have been. Her son always chose boat sized cars for her, and there was always damage where she sideswiped something. Insurance company dropped her after she turned 90.

My husband's 85 yr old friend is recovering from an accident; ran off the road and over a steep embankment, pinned in his vehicle until a passerby got curious about the gravel thrown into the road and looked over the edge. This was his 3rd accident in 2 yrs, so his kids have told him it's time for him to stop driving.   

I urged my mom to stop driving 7 yrs ago, after following her home from town. She drove perfectly, but was totally oblivious to everything going on around her. She never knew I was behind her until she turned into her driveway and I blew my horn before turning up my driveway. That incident made me realize how much my mom was functioning by routine, not skill. At 85 she continues to function in her home by a routine, which is very common with those her age. I have seen and heard the "shock" of several friends once they discover what's really going on with their parent safety wise, because they have viewed their parents ability to drive to the bank and grocery store at 90+ as more wonderful than it really is.

Many people in their 80’s notice restricted movement in their neck, as in not being able to turn their neck from side to side, without turning their body.   My mother has this issue as does my husbands friend mentioned above.   He uses side and rear view mirror, and then just backs up, because he cannot see what’s behind him.   

Honored Contributor

My uncle is 90 and his doctor told him at his age he had no business driving a vehicle. Yes, it did put a crimp in his style, but he got over it and the family feels better that he is no longer putting himself and others in danger. It is so selfish of the elderly to insist on driving when they no longer have the reflexes to support that. It's hard to age and give up your independence, but it is what it is.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If his reflexes are still good and he knows his way around the area, I think it’s great. When we are in Florida, we see lots of older people driving. Only issue I ever see is driving too s-l-o-w, but I guess it’s better than too fast!

Honored Contributor

Cars have back up cameras so there is no need for neck turning. We all should have learned defensive driving so we can navigate, the distracted mothers with crying babies, teen texters, over tired insomniac drivers, tailgaters, and the few senior citizens just driving to the store.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

Cars have back up cameras so there is no need for neck turning. We all should have learned defensive driving so we can navigate, the distracted mothers with crying babies, teen texters, over tired insomniac drivers, tailgaters, and the few senior citizens just driving to the store.

@occasionalrain  Just got a car with a back up camera about four months ago. Didn’t have one before that with my 2001 Jeep.

Honored Contributor

Rather than badger aging parents to give up driving, get them a car that has a back up camera, the alert system that warns when getting too close to an object, and aromatically brakes before crashing into the back of the car that's suddenly stopped in front of them.

Esteemed Contributor

Awwww. This is such a feel good, inspiring story! If he is of sound mind and body, he should be allowed the freedom of driving. I am more afraid of the much younger driver full of road rage, or careless enough to drive under the influence. People that text and drive are perhaps the most dangerous of all drivers. He is living life on his terms, and appears to be enjoying it. That's what it's all about.😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Esteemed Contributor

My dad is 99 - will be 100 this summer.  His mind is sharp, he's youthful and active, lives alone and does his own cooking and cleaning.  And yes, he still drives his saucy Pontiac with the spoiler on the back.  I've ridden with him and he's a slow and careful driver.  He knows his limitations and only drives to the grocery store or bank in his neighborhood.  For longer errands, one of us picks him up and drives him.  Most days, his car is in his garage.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lovesrecess wrote:

If his reflexes are still good and he knows his way around the area, I think it’s great. When we are in Florida, we see lots of older people driving. Only issue I ever see is driving too s-l-o-w, but I guess it’s better than too fast!

Any cop will say...going too slow is dangerous,

and some cases more dangerous, than speeding. 

I have mixed feeling about the Award-the-Elderly for

doing things like driving. I'm faaaar more impressed when

someone moves their body or are mentally active in their 

autumn years.  To get in a 4,000lb potentially

dangerous-to-everyone vehicle & press a pedal?  
Not so much.