Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Over 100 years old and still driving!

Then there's my 23 year old niece who's been in 5-6 accidents because she "taught herself to drive". 

She also should be wearing glasses because of her lack of depth perception in one eye. Glasses that she's always losing. 

Another thing is she only has a picture of her driver's license since also lost that. And was indignant when it wasn't accepted, lol!

I think I'd rather have the 100-year-old driving than my niece.

Respected Contributor

It's not just a matter of "dementia." There are physical challenges, too, which may come with age, and compromise driving skills: visual impairment, range of motion, reflexes...

As for ME, though, I'm finding myself getting out of the way of YOUNG PEOPLE behind me, as soon as I spot the dreaded "head up/head down/repeat" in the rear view mirror.

It's a jungle out there. And I'm not referring to the elderly drivers.

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

There is a guy in our subdivision who is 99.  He changed his residence to FL (snowbird) and was so excited he got his FL drivers license!

About 2 weeks ago he pulled in driveway with his new beautiful cherry red lincoln, the wife/gf gets out, he started pulling into driveway & hit the gas...

..... omg he drove right thru the garage wall into the den😳.  The house is "inhabitable" structurally -- guess he was in a hurry to get to his recliner🙀🤷‍♀️.

they have a caregiver come everyday from 4pm - 7am everyday because they need care...

Honestly, at some point a person needs to realize if it's time to stop driving...bet, he won't get good car insurance rate after this😉

Respected Contributor

Little red convertible.  Hmmm.  Must be going through his third or fourth mid life crisis.

If a guy wants to impress me with a vehicle, it should be a food truck.

Esteemed Contributor

But how does he manage getting in and out of that car? I've had them and they involve twisting and bending to get in. He must do yoga!

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

Older drivers do need to take new vision and hearing tests with each renewal in Florida. 

@Mindy D.  The trouble is, from what others have said, the renewal period is too long.  In New Mexico, every driver over 70 must go in person annually to the DMV for a vision test and license renewal.  It's quite an imposition since it usually involves a 2-3 hour wait.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

It's  of their vision that bothers me.  They do not check reflexes and responses!

My neighbor is much younger, has Parkinsons.  When he can get out of bed, he drives!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@homedecor1 wrote:

There is a guy in our subdivision who is 99.  He changed his residence to FL (snowbird) and was so excited he got his FL drivers license!

About 2 weeks ago he pulled in driveway with his new beautiful cherry red lincoln, the wife/gf gets out, he started pulling into driveway & hit the gas...

..... omg he drove right thru the garage wall into the den😳.  The house is "inhabitable" structurally -- guess he was in a hurry to get to his recliner🙀🤷‍♀️.

they have a caregiver come everyday from 4pm - 7am everyday because they need care...

Honestly, at some point a person needs to realize if it's time to stop driving...bet, he won't get good car insurance rate after this😉

@homedecor1   This is the most frequent issue I hear about elderly drivers, stepping on the gas pedal instead of the brake, or maybe it is they can't lift their foot fast enough once they realize what they did.

Respected Contributor

@Zhills 

Sharp yes.  However, reflex time is what would concern me.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@threecees 

Good for him! 

hckynut

hckynut(john)