Honored Contributor

Re: Outdoor surveillance systems/cameras outside your home

@Sooner wrote:

@Annabellethecat66  I LOVE IT!  Watch the cat!!!!  I always wondered what one of our cats was up to during the day.  You'd come homw and see things he had done, and wonder how the heck did he do that, and WHY did he do it!

A neighbor put in a cat door and came home to find about 6 cats lounging on the living rom furniture one day.  She said the cats just looke up at her when she came in!  Cat parties!  LOL!!!

Reminded me of an apartment I lived in years ago.  The guy downstairs (this was a 4-plex) had a cat that made his own door by clawing out part of the kitchen window screen and my neighbor just left it that way.  One day he told me that he'd often come home to Wild Kingdom, all kinds of critters in his apartment (most of them having met their demise).

Honored Contributor

LOL!!!  I guess we DO need kitty cams from the stories I'm hearing.  Those cats, they plot things to do to frustrate you!  They're laughing on the inside!  Cat Tongue

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

I have Canary and Samsung from Hsn.When I am visiting family in Italy I can check on our house in the States.

Honored Contributor

Yup we have several. We had them wired throughout and installed when we built this place 3 years ago. We didn't live here full time yet and wanted to keep track of goings-on. We now live here and our kids now keep track of us! Lol. When we go out of town I bring one in so I can watch my cats to make sure they are okay (mostly sleeping).

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

I have flood lights at each corner of the house and garage. Recently I replaced all the blulbs with LED bulbs. WOW!!!! I must be savings 20% (min) on my electric bill in addition to being able to run them all night long. (It was just too expensive previously).

My best security system are our two German Shelpherds......

I still would like to have a night vision motion activated camera system to focus on the wooded areas aound our home. I haven't found a system that was afforadable.

I havd to admit that I also have some flameless candles on timers to light some of the darker areas of the house.  

Respected Contributor

My dilemma regarding these systems is figuring out if the Ring, Blink or Nest are any advantage over full security systems that contact the police/fire dept. We were burglarized a few years ago & immediately acquired Front Point Security Systems.  They are highly rated.  We moved & have not yet decided whether to go back to Front Point or invest in Nest, Blink or The Ring.  

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

We just bought ARLO Pros (completely wireless) and sounds a lot like @Annabellethecat66"s Nest.  We can view rooms in real time and talk to anyone in the room,  They are activated when we leave the house and are alerted for movement in the rooms on our phones,  also have one at the front door, We also recently purchased  Alexa Echo and love it!  Lights turn on and off in rooms, records shopping lists, gives us the weather, time, current news, turn the TV off/on, control the thermostat etc.....all with a simple command.   We are becoming bluetooth central at our home! We are finding so many uses and conveniences with Alexa.   (I can see that If there is anyone disabled, or elderly with a limited range of motion, I would highly recommend considering these systems.)

@phoenixbrd  Wow  -- you are super high tech!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

We had a company install a whole house alarm and it also includes outdoor cameras.  We recently upgraded the outside cameras because the old ones weren't that good in the dark.  Our new ones are infrared.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner

That is hilarious. I can just imagine coming home and the cats just hanging out like everyone loves me don't you.

Honored Contributor

I recently called the company that installed our alarm system to get a price for adding security cameras, and learned it would cost around $1400.   

A cheaper alternative was to buy cameras from Sams Club for around $400, and get someone to install them for us.   

We used to have a hunter cam in the woods behind us, but it stopped working.   If you choose to use a hunter cam around your house as a security camera, be sure to buy one with LED lights, instead of red lights, which are easily noticeable, and are a dead giveaway.