Trusted Contributor

Re: Out of the Mouths of Babes

Years ago my DH and I frequently had a 3 year old visit and stay on weekends.  He loved to shop.  We always allowed him to pick 1 item.   He often found another favorite so he had to decide which he wanted.  We would take him to put back on the shelf.

We were shopping for everything needed to service our vehicles.  At the cash register my DH was missing items he was sure that he had put in our cart.  He asked if I had replaced them.  Of course I had not.  We had no idea where they went.  Did we actually forget to get them.   A little voice said " put it back Poppa, put it back".    We had to retrace our steps to find where the toddler had put them.   In the future we had him ride in the seat instead of in the basket.  

Lesson learned.  We were more observant when shopping with our grandchildren.  I now have great grandtoddlers.   They are a delight.  They are not so fast to put things back.

Does anyone remember Art Linkletter and his show Kids Say the Darndest Things?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Big Joanie wrote:

My son was about 5 or 6 .. ( a more innocent time ) we took him to see

Santa ... he was old enough to go up by himself .. so Dad and I are

waiting in the wings ... waiting to see what cute thing he might say ...

Hmmm.... he told Santa .. probably loud enough for others to hear ..

" I want a vaccum and a real house ...."    My husband and I could

not believe it .....

We claimed him anyway !!!!  He's 43 now and still keeps us laughing .....

@Big Joanie-

I love this! I think your son must be a relative of ours!womanlol:

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@qvcfreak wrote:

When my son was 4 my husbands brother was getting married and we told him she was going to become his aunt. He looks at her and says, I don’t want you to be a bug. We all laughed and explained but after that everyone called her Bug

Good One ....

Honored Contributor

@OKPrincess wrote:

@lolakimono Seeing the sheep reminded me of a song we'd sing at church. I thought "Bringing in the Sheaves" was "Bringing in the Sheep."

@OKPrincess-

Haha! I did too!

In fact until I read your post, I still thought so!

Its like I always thought "God is great, God is good" was always God is grapes, God is good, lettuce thank him for our food. (I think I was always somewhat hungry and was always looking at the food on the alters, and my favorite part of vacation bible school was the mashed potatoes and peasSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@on the bay Its fun how these posts bring back good memories. Those were the days.

Respected Contributor

When I was a little girl I was in my play yard the milkman came and my mother went in the bedroom to pay him. I said mister you have a dirty a**. My mother didn’t want to come out of the room. She must have said that when she changed me.

Respected Contributor

Our DGD just turned 5.  Times being the way they are in a busy family, she had become accustomed to seeing processed meat on her plate, e.g. chicken nuggets, hot dogs, bacon, etc. 

When she saw Dad pull a beautifully roasted turkey from the oven this Thanksgiving, she was aghast and exclaimed, "Dad, you made an animal!"  With that, she spun on her heels, ran to her room and slammed the door. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@lolakimono

Sorry I missed this discussion ENTIRELY!

When our niece was little (now she is grown up) my DMIL took her to McDonald’s. 

DMIL: “C_______, finish your potatoes.”

To which C gave her quite an incredulous look and said “But Grandmother, I don’t HAVE any potatoes?”

She did not know french fries were made from potatoes!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~