Esteemed Contributor

Our weather...northeast coast, Nova Scotia

What a bizarre 'winter' we are having.  Today we are having very high winds and heavy heavy rain.  Halifax has broken the record of the least snowfall since this data has been recorded in 1953.  We are in the high teens (Celsius) in our Province today.  That is close to 70 degrees F.  Last year by this time we had 159 cm of snow.  This year I don't think it has been measurable.

We go from extreme cold to very warm.  Our neighbors in New Brunswick and Maine have had lots of snow.  No snow is ok with me as long as it doesn’t come on the other end of winter making a miserable Spring.

How is your weather?

LM

Honored Contributor

Re: Our weather...northeast coast, Nova Scotia

It was 48 this morning, nearly all the snow is GONE, cold wave coming through now ,my dogs were so happy to see green grass, wet and muddy ,lots of poop picking up!!

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest, my dog doesn't know what to make of it.  Instead of snow, it's mud.  She is a Lab and loves snow so I'm thinking she doesn't like it.  We have to be careful with her around the ice.  She loves to swim and it's not safe now with all the freezing and thawing.  LM

Honored Contributor

Good afternoon this Saturday, good to hear from you @Lilysmom.  Funny you should chat about weather, I think you may be having a taste of the same warmth we had here on Thursday. It was cloudy, rained in the afternoon but much of the week had been getting warmer. I chose to get my groceries because of arctic changes arrived again.

Yes for once the weather people nailed it - dropped 30degrees in about 4 hours, began with rain, turned to ice/sleet as early eve set in, full fledged snow that ended into the night. Dropped 3-4" on top of a coating of ice. Cloudy, blustery today, about 11. We're in for another week of single digits. Had a wk of the same 2 weeks ago.

UGH!

Got up with DH at 2:30A to get him out the door for snow removal. Looking at the clock on my laptop, he's been at it for 12 hrs now. Oh he just called and is on his way home. We're both too old for this stuff for sure!!!!  When he's doing this for others, I'm the one who must do our own place. Today however, I had a volunteer very much appreciated.

Sun is really trying to shine upon us, we will gladly take all she wishes to bestow in these days. Speaking of which, they are heading back in the right direction, aren't they?

We and a friend just sent in our seed order for all sorts of veggies. You know what this means...

SPRING WILL BE BACK SOON!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Lilysmom - enjoy your mild winter. I hope you don't get cold surprises during spring. It's been cold in central, Midwest USA. Last year we thoroughly enjoyed a mild winter. 

Off topic -- A future Nova Scotia / Maine trip is on our travel list. We'll go to Halifax, but would a trip to Cape Brenton be something we would want to add? Thanks for the free travel advice!   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

It's due to gobal warming.  They always said that weather patterns would be disrupted and storms would be more intense and we have certainly seen that recently.  We can't count on the weather patterns we've been used to all our lives.

Esteemed Contributor

@jeanlake, I live in Halifax.  My mother was born and raised in Cape Breton.  My favorite time to go to Cape Breton is the Fall.  Be warned though that you should have reservations in if you go anytime but especially summer and fall.  The Cabot Trail is gorgeous with it’s change of color.  Cape Breton celebrates the Fall with events scheduled around Celtic Colours.  There is a rich Celtic history and music in this area that attracts many visitors.  Hotels are sold out six months in advance.

I went to a wedding in Bras d’Or in September of last year.  I made my reservations in April and they were almost sold out then.  Both Halifax and Sydney ports receive cruises so it can get busy.

Sydney, Cape Breton (the largest center in Cape Breton) is a 4-5 hour drive from Halifax.

I hope you enjoy your visit to Nova Scotia!  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD, well Ms. Pink, sounds like you got enough for both of us.  We have seen extreme cold and very warm weather in the same week.  When we cleaned up the two spruce trees that fell in our Christmas Day storm, it was freezing cold.

I hear that there is a bad flu heading our way as well.  Hopefully I will miss that one.  @gardenman is growing flowers from seed now so I am keeping tabs on Spring with his progress.

Just hoping we get an early Spring and not a winter that hates to let go.  Happy January to you and Mr. Pink.  So good of Mr Pink to help others with the snow.  LM

Honored Contributor

There is a possibility we may break a HEAT record today in Phoenix

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom  It is good of him though he hates it. He had a really rough go of it he said, really high drifts at some places. Not sure what we're expecting this week, I do know we're 5 days ahead into single digits. I don't (really) mind the cold but this is AWFUL!!!