Esteemed Contributor

Re: Our weather...northeast coast, Nova Scotia

@Desertdi, totally on the other end of the spectrum, right?  We complain about winter a lot but I confess I love the four seasons.  My brother in Kamloops, BC (in the interior of BC) bought a snowblower.  They have had more snow than us which is most unusual.  I had no idea how hot and dry it was in Kamloops til he moved there.  LM

Honored Contributor

It is 53 degrees with blue skies here in the PNW.  I was just out in yard cutting off dried hydrangea blooms (I leave them on for the birds).  Daffodils are poking through and hellebros have buds on them.  I am heading out to an early dinner at the marina.  

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@Desertdi, totally on the other end of the spectrum, right?  We complain about winter a lot but I confess I love the four seasons.  My brother in Kamloops, BC (in the interior of BC) bought a snowblower.  They have had more snow than us which is most unusual.  I had no idea how hot and dry it was in Kamloops til he moved there.  LM

@Lilysmom    BC is one of my favorite places to visit.    The scenery is spectacular!     di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi,it’s hard not to love BC.  Great natural beauty.  I think we are due for a trip there again soon.  It’s been awhile since we have been in Vancouver.

I love World Junior Hockey.  Next year the games are in Victoria, BC.  I am trying to convince my brother to come down to Victoria and join us for a visit.  Another big hockey fan.  LM

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne   I'm extremely jealous!  Hope your dinner was spectacular on a wonderful Saturday eve.

Esteemed Contributor

@jeanlake, see below...

TOURISM
Canadians recommend Cape Breton
Expedia Canada poll finds Cape Breton as the No. 1 tourist destination

CAPE BRETON POST

SYDNEY— Canadians have decided where they want to go in 2018.

Right here.

In an article written by Jennifer Cueller in a travelblog for www.expedia.ca, Cape Breton was chosen the No. 1 travel destination for this year.

“We conducted a survey of 1,000 Canadians and asked them which city they’d recommend their fellow travellers visit in the new year,” said Cueller’s article. “Some of the responses were specific around certain cities, while other responses recommended provinces as a whole (often with exclamation marks). Using these answers as a baseline, we’re happy to present the 18 cities you need to visit in 2018, as chosen by real Canadians.”

The article goes on to describe the island as being the perfect place to propose and lauds Cape Breton’s scenery.

“We had numerous surveytakers recommend Cape Breton, or, as one person wrote in all caps, “CAPE BRETON ISLAND.” We heard you! And we agree! This ridiculously pretty place is one for the ages.”

It all came as a pleasant surprise to Destination Cape Breton’s chief executive officer, Mary Tulle.

“We were very surprised — we weren’t expecting it,” said Tulle on Monday. “We didn’t know anything about the survey. When you look at the interesting destinations that are listed, there are certainly some great Canadian destinations but there’s American and international as well.

“The sample size of 1,000 certainly has credibility but the fact that Cape Breton came out as number one speaks volumes, I think, to that whole destination that we are right now and how we’re being looked at as a place to visit in 2018.”

Tulle says Cape Breton has rated well in other articles but the surprise of this article is that much sweeter.

“We had the voting opportunity last year with USA Today where Cape Breton Island had three number-one rankings, which was fantastic for the island,” said Tulle. “That one being one that we knew about — this one we knew nothing about. So the fact that it was completely expedited by Expedia, I just think, says great things about the profile that Cape Breton Island has as a tourism or visiting destination.”

The article also included travel tips and destinations for Cape Breton, North River Kayak Tours was listed, along with The Bite House, a small restaurant that is already booked for the rest of 2018, and the 2018 Cape Breton Island Bicycle Tour. North River Kayak Tours owner Angelo Spinazzola said he was thrilled with the article’s mention.

“Oh my god, it’s so nice to hear that from fellow Canadians,” said Spinazzola, who also opened a cabin rental business last year. “I’m happy for all the businesses (mentioned).”

Other places on Expedia’s must-see list include Cavendish, P.E.I.; Penticton, B.C.; Ponoka, Alta.; Lahaina, Hawaii; Qualicum Beach, B.C.; Tokyo, Japan; Manchester, Tennessee; Edmonton, Alta.; Negril, Jamaica; Squamish, B.C.; Fredericton, N.B.; Deadwood, South Dakota; Hamilton, Ont.; Gulf Shores, Alabama; Vancouver, Washington; Porto, Portugal; and Toronto, Ont.

We were very surprised — we weren’t expecting it.

Mary Tulle

A survey of 1,000 Canadians found that Cape Breton was the No. 1 recommended travel destination. KEITH LEVIT

Esteemed Contributor

@Lilysmom  Thank you for sharing your research. Helps so much. Husband and I love nature and he dabbles in photography while on vacation. Love the photos I've seen and articles I've read of Cape Breton. Have a good week.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

It was 60 degrees two days ago here in upstate NY but last night and tonight, below zero. To the Canadians who post here, you live in a magnificent country. I live just a couple of hours’ drive from the border and have spent many, many wonderful trips throughout Ontario and Québec. I’ve also been to British Columbia, which is magestic. I’d love to visit the Maritimes, definitely on my (lobster) bucket list.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lilysmom  Thank you -- you helped out so much. I look forward to our trip to Maine & Canada

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Occasional Contributor

I just stumbled upon this thread. @jeanlake we took a trip from the midwest up through Maine and on to Nova Scotia in September and October last year.  We were gone 6 weeks.  We made our reservations for Acadia NP as soon as we figured out the dates. We were there during the Night Sky Festival. I highly recommend you look into the festival.  It was really interesting. From Acadia we headed north with our northern most point being Cape Breton. It is beautiful up there. The mountains and the ocean.  I took lots of pictures of sunsets that are gorgeous.  People are surprised when I tell them the location. I highly recommend heading to NS. Great food, great people, great scenery.