Respected Contributor
Itiswhatitis: we must agree to disagree. I bet you would be a welcome addition to Stan Kroenke's staff or supporters. Conscience is not in his vocabulary and he has money to burn on the backs of hardworking individuals. No disrespect to you, however.
Esteemed Contributor

@twins mom wrote:
Itiswhatitis: we must agree to disagree. I bet you would be a welcome addition to Stan Kroenke's staff or supporters. Conscience is not in his vocabulary and he has money to burn on the backs of hardworking individuals. No disrespect to you, however.

@Twins Mom OK.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@Noel7

Easy To Be Hard ....  Three Dog Night ?

Honored Contributor

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

Regardless of any questions of morality or the individual ethics, morality or legal track records of individual athletes, I agree with the OP's premise that payment of sports stars is ludicrous, as is that for stars in entertainment industries, overall. It reflects a very skewed set of values and the extent to which certain businesses and industries are clearly driving the train in much of the developed world. This kind of compensation widens the gap between the haves and have nots and is a factor in the shrinking nature of the middle class.

Okay .... just for the heck of it, and because no one else has .....  I'm going to defend actors and entertainers.  lol

What most people don't realize is that, due to shady accounting practices going back several decades, most actors and entertainers have learned that they now need to get all their money "up front".

Take your hypothetical talented, popular actor with good box office draw worldwide ......   A producer with a good script and some deep pocket investors comes along and wants this actor to star in this film project.   The very healthy budget is covered and this star is offered $5 million for approximately 3-4 months of work (& later promotion appearances before the opening)  plus a percentage of the "profits" from box office sales.  

Ultimately, this hypothetical film does very well worldwide, and grosses over $700 million.   Yet, for some strange reason, actually due to unethical & shady accounting, the movie never makes a profit .....  so the actor gets nothing from the "profits" .... because there were none!   They can prove, with fake accounting, that the movie LOST money!  The usual story is unforseen expenses, blah blah blah

What some people also don't realize is that the REAL money is made by the top people behind the camera!   Take that same actor who made $5 million ......  the producers can easily walk away with, for example, $350 million to divvy up ......  Why is it no one b*tches about the MOVIE PROFITS made by people behind the camera?   

Same scenario is possible for entertainers who can draw a sold out crowd at a large stadium .....   they can get shafted by producers in all sorts of ways.   Again, the safest way to go is often "all money up front".    

That's my two cents on the subject.

I have no problem with what actors make. Some should stay for the credits and see all the people behind that actor who are working hard to put out that movie or show etc.

@AngusandBuddhasMom

I hear what you're saying and ITA, but in most large budget movies, every behind the scenes professional .... (sound effects, lighting, wardrobe, hair, stunt people, production assistants, craft service,  etc etc) .... is the member of a union, and gets not only a good wage, but overtime, golden time etc etc.   

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Noel7

Easy To Be Hard ....  Three Dog Night ?

@Tinkrbl44- yes but originally from the musical Hair.