Honored Contributor

I think it's interesting how committed some of you are to your love of fossil fuels. I would not have guessed that an inanimate substance like petroleum could generate loving and protective emotions in anyone.

I don't think it's necessary to mock people who own electric or hybrid cars, though. Their choices are not attacks on your choices.

Personally I don't have an intense attachment to where my electricity comes from, nor do I care what powers my car. Of course, all things being equal (which they are not, yet) I'm going to favor cleaner solutions that create less filth and that don't saddle future generations with terrible problems. If you don't care much about that, it's fine.

What's great is that there are so many options now, with more appearing every day. No one is locked in anymore. The more choice the better. Experts all over the world are still working on coming up with perfectly clean, responsible sources of energy and I think that is great. One day they will get there and that will please many and dismay a few.

Also, even if you are devoted to a source of energy that eventually becomes obsolete,  if any of us live to see that day, there will still be hobbyists who enjoy it. People still create steam engines using coal, and ride horses, and build waterwheels just for the joy of it. There's room for everyone. And I hope no one mocks you when that day comes.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

@mimomof4 wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

You do realize that the majority of our electricity comes from fossil fuels -  40% comes from natural gas, and 19 % from coal.  Another 20% comes from nuclear.

The renewables amount to about 20% - hydroelectric 7% and wind and solar about 10%.

So even if everyone suddenly bought electric cars - and had to charge them - I'm not sure how we get rid of fossil fuels.

But I'm sure someone will tell me. 

And no doubt will also explain about why it's good to mine for cobalt for the lithium-ion batteries using child labor in third world countries.  

@Isobel Archer Another thing never mentioned is how these batteries will be disposed of or how many years these batteries will last.

Electric cars may seem like such a great environmental savior but in reality they are just as harmful.

Wind Turbines are another joke.  They require fossil fuels to operate - not just wind.

Yes and what is so sad about all of this is that it is the most vulnerable people who are hurt by the "green agenda."  The elites never have to worry - and clearly don't - about how much fossil fuel they use.  They will NEVER be inconvenienced.

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

There will always be people who are hurting. Sometimes because of their own doing.  There will always be people who have more than me and there will always be people who have less than me.

My DH and I work for every single thing that we have.  I am not going to hide my purchases or be ashamed of what I have because some can't afford what we have or are jealous. 

If someone posted on here that they just purchased a 2000 Ford Fiesta, the responses would be very, very different.  All of a sudden, that new purchase wouldn't be considered bragging.    

@Lipstickdiva 

This thread from a couple of weeks ago is a perfect  example:

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Community-Chat/New-Toyota/m-p/6898241/highlight/true#M1737776

Everyone giving congrats and 5 or 6 telling of their new car purchases recently. There was not one word about bragging or concern for the people "hurting" right now. It was an appropriate response to new car ownership that everyone should be able to enjoy.

Honored Contributor

@tiny 2 wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

There will always be people who are hurting. Sometimes because of their own doing.  There will always be people who have more than me and there will always be people who have less than me.

My DH and I work for every single thing that we have.  I am not going to hide my purchases or be ashamed of what I have because some can't afford what we have or are jealous. 

If someone posted on here that they just purchased a 2000 Ford Fiesta, the responses would be very, very different.  All of a sudden, that new purchase wouldn't be considered bragging.    

@Lipstickdiva 

This thread from a couple of weeks ago is a perfect  example:

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Community-Chat/New-Toyota/m-p/6898241/highlight/true#M1737776

Everyone giving congrats and 5 or 6 telling of their new car purchases recently. There was not one word about bragging or concern for the people "hurting" right now. It was an appropriate response to new car ownership that everyone should be able to enjoy.

@tiny 2 and there you go!

I guess since that was "only" a Toyota, it wasn't bragging.    

Honored Contributor

Re: Our soon to be new car

[ Edited ]

@Porcelain wrote:

I think it's interesting how committed some of you are to your love of fossil fuels. I would not have guessed that an inanimate substance like petroleum could generate loving and protective emotions in anyone.

I don't think it's necessary to mock people who own electric or hybrid cars, though. Their choices are not attacks on your choices.

Personally I don't have an intense attachment to where my electricity comes from, nor do I care what powers my car. Of course, all things being equal (which they are not, yet) I'm going to favor cleaner solutions that create less filth and that don't saddle future generations with terrible problems. If you don't care much about that, it's fine.

What's great is that there are so many options now, with more appearing every day. No one is locked in anymore. The more choice the better. Experts all over the world are still working on coming up with perfectly clean, responsible sources of energy and I think that is great. One day they will get there and that will please many and dismay a few.

Also, even if you are devoted to a source of energy that eventually becomes obsolete,  if any of us live to see that day, there will still be hobbyists who enjoy it. People still create steam engines using coal, and ride horses, and build waterwheels just for the joy of it. There's room for everyone. And I hope no one mocks you when that day comes.

Electric cars are made with quite a bit of petrochemical materials also (oil and gas) and all the extras (CDs for example).  So driving one and everyone driving one, isn't going to do away with our dependence of fossil fuels.

Until we figure out what and how to re-make everything without plastics, rubber, asphalt (think about re-paving our entire country's highways/roads/parking lots w/o crude oil), we are dependant on fossil fuels.

Everyone cringes at the sight of an oil refinery.   They look like junkyards.  The last one built was over 44 years ago.  No longer allowed.  But they must abide daily/hourly/by-the-minute to guidelines for the EPA or be fined heavily.  So much time and manpower is used to replace or fix these old dinosaurs either on a scheduled maintenance or by way of emergency.  (Not good.)

So even when everyone is hovering around in plant based material vehicles, if they haven't figured out how to replace everything else from your keyboard to your toilet seat, we're still going to need to refine crude oil.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@occasionalrain 

Are you sure there is "no option" for getting a car started when the battery keypad goes dead? The cars we have bought over the past (at least) 10 years can be started in a "dead keypad battery" situation  by following instructions in the owner's manual.

I don't know about yours.  Just making a suggestion.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@novamc1 

Thank you, I never thought to look for another option in my owners manual. Just got my key out of the remote and searched for a slot. 

Honored Contributor

I know almost zero about electric cars. What kind of batteries do they use? 

Respected Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

Too funny.  Quite the opposite.  I am not "devoted" to fossil fuels.  I am simply pointing out that - currently - there is no way to function totally without them.  Even electric cars won't work without them.  Why is that so difficult to understand?

If we can find alternatives that actually work better than wind and solar - let's be honest 10%  of our current electrical production is not something we can reasonably  live with - now is it? - then great.  I'm all for it.

However, eliminating pipelines and castigating those in the fossil fuel business is not particularly helpful or productive in my view.

And mining cobalt is not "cleaner" - nor is dispensing of lithium ion batteries.

Respected Contributor

@songbird 

Sharp looking car.  Enjoy.