Honored Contributor

Tacky

Trusted Contributor

@coffee drinker wrote:

@Mersha I totally agree with you because I read that post yesterday.  Hope those "internet terrorists" don't take down the electric grid like they did with the gas pipeline in the SE part of the country. 

I wondered if this post is a way for someone to brag about what they have.   

That was a bit of an uncharitable comment. Could you be just a little jealous?

Honored Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

Beautiful car.  I told DH that if we buy another car, I'd like for it to be electric.  And as seldom as we change cars, they probably all will be electric by then.

We've had a Mercedes and now a BMW and for us, the BMW is nothing like the Mercedes.  We'd buy another Mercedes.  

We're partial to BMW, but we like our current Mercedes.  Itl's a very safe car (ours is a 4 door hatchback)  We've had one or the other.  Our 1st electric car was the Mercedes.  After that, the BMW.  Now Mercedes again, LOL.  Before the electric cars, we also had one or the other.  We just love Geman cars.  

Respected Contributor

You do realize that the majority of our electricity comes from fossil fuels -  40% comes from natural gas, and 19 % from coal.  Another 20% comes from nuclear.

The renewables amount to about 20% - hydroelectric 7% and wind and solar about 10%.

So even if everyone suddenly bought electric cars - and had to charge them - I'm not sure how we get rid of fossil fuels.

But I'm sure someone will tell me. 

And no doubt will also explain about why it's good to mine for cobalt for the lithium-ion batteries using child labor in third world countries.  

Honored Contributor

I prefer the roar of my V-8 Hemi underneath the hood of my Dodge Challenger.  It's downright sexy!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

@RealtyGal2 Not a jealous bone in my body.  Right now people are hurting, so I can't understand why some have to tell others about their expensive purchases and what they cost.  To me, saying less is much better than saying more.  JMO, nothing more.

Honored Contributor

There will always be people who are hurting. Sometimes because of their own doing.  There will always be people who have more than me and there will always be people who have less than me.

My DH and I work for every single thing that we have.  I am not going to hide my purchases or be ashamed of what I have because some can't afford what we have or are jealous. 

If someone posted on here that they just purchased a 2000 Ford Fiesta, the responses would be very, very different.  All of a sudden, that new purchase wouldn't be considered bragging.    

Honored Contributor

My Ford Escape is only just over 3 years old and I went without my car from Tuesday of last week until Monday of this week.  Air conditioning went out.  Needed a new part, then another new part, then that second part got stuck on the truck in Houston.  Finally part came in last Friday but the one service guy who could fix it was out sick.  So Monday finally I have ice cold air and it only cost me $100.00 deductible due to extended warranty.   I am happy they gave me a loaner and I am back to my own wheels.  Bring on the Texas summer heat now.

That BMW electric car is nice and if I owned it I would sit and stare at it all day long.  But I do prefer gas probably the same way folks preferred their horse carriages at one time.  Life moves on.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

I prefer the roar of my V-8 Hemi underneath the hood of my Dodge Challenger.  It's downright sexy!

I know what you mean, we drive a Charger.

Trusted Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

You do realize that the majority of our electricity comes from fossil fuels -  40% comes from natural gas, and 19 % from coal.  Another 20% comes from nuclear.

The renewables amount to about 20% - hydroelectric 7% and wind and solar about 10%.

So even if everyone suddenly bought electric cars - and had to charge them - I'm not sure how we get rid of fossil fuels.

But I'm sure someone will tell me. 

And no doubt will also explain about why it's good to mine for cobalt for the lithium-ion batteries using child labor in third world countries.  

@Isobel Archer Another thing never mentioned is how these batteries will be disposed of or how many years these batteries will last.

Electric cars may seem like such a great environmental savior but in reality they are just as harmful.

Wind Turbines are another joke.  They require fossil fuels to operate - not just wind.