Super Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

Enjoy your new vehicle! I never bought a new car...

The last car I bought was a 1989 white Firebird in 1990 for $7,999. I still drive it today.

Love the sunroof, roll down windows and cassette/am/fm radio... Smiley Very Happy

Understood! They will have to pry my 1999 Lexus GS 300 with the straight 6 out of my cold dead hands....  LOL ...  

Honored Contributor

We don't  all have the same lifestyle. What's best for me may not be best for my neighbor or friend.

If a person's profession involves relocation every few years, renting makes more sense than owning. Those who have large families may choose to remain in their large family home after retirement rather than downsize. If a lot of time is spent in one's car, a lot of miles driven, a more luxury car that's leased may be the best option for them.

I like owning my car because I seem to develop a relationship with it and wouldn't want to replace it every few years. Even when it's time for it to go, too many things need repaired replaced, I mourn it's loss.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Our soon to be new car

[ Edited ]

@Carmie  With all due respect I don't believe her comments were rude, they were quite factual.  A leased car is NOT yours.  It is throwing money away on something that is simply on loan to you.  It needs to be treated as a rental car since any excess milage or damage will cost you when you bring it back at the end of the lease.  You still are paying the insurance, and  inspections etc...so you are kinda saving money since you didn't "purchase" the vehicle, but at the end of the lease you need to give it back.  So you didn't really get something you "own" at the end.  A car lease is worth it if you don't go very far (rarely travel) don't have kids or pets, and are pretty much homebodies who only do very short trips to the store and local travel.  Most leases have a lot of conditions to them.  Which is the big pull for your pricier cars.  You too can drive a $50,000 car "if"....followed by a list of conditions.  It really is never yours.  It's on loan to you.  Although at the end of the lease they sometimes let you buy the car if you want to.  There are pros and cons to both lease/rental and purchase.  I find I would rather own my vehicle than know I have a lease company to answer to about my millage-sounds like you would too Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

People lease cars for various reasons.  Some leases are corporate/company leases while other are private/personal leases.

My husband drove a leased car for many years.  His practice leased cars for tax purposes.  On 2 occasions we ended up purchasing the car, basically because he knew the car's history, at the time fitted our needs, (we now had 4 Grands that I could not transport in my sedan) and payout price was good.

If you research private/personal leases, you will find they fit the needs of people who like to "switch" cars every few years.  In leasing a car you need less of a down payment and your payments are much less than if you were purchasing the car. 

Respected Contributor

@Anonymous032819 I agree with your post -- especially the last sentence-- wink, wink!!!

Respected Contributor

It's a decent looking car.  However, I always thought it poor taste to brag about expensive purchases.

Honored Contributor

@songbird 

Your "soon to be new car" is a beauty!  Love the color scheme.

My oldest child's cars have all been BMWs.  She says it's the safest car for driving around children.  Her current one is a SUV.

congratulations-2271.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@songbird -

It is indeed a beautiful car!

I've had 2 BMW's. A 1998 Z3 and my current car, a 2008 328xi coupe. Every time I go in for service, the sales manager reminds me that my car is getting older and it's "time for a trade", but I love my car. It only has 95,000 miles on it. We've still got a bit of road to go together! 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@coffee drinker wrote:

@Mersha I totally agree with you because I read that post yesterday.  Hope those "internet terrorists" don't take down the electric grid like they did with the gas pipeline in the SE part of the country. 

I wondered if this post is a way for someone to brag about what they have.   

@coffee drinker 

Starting price is 45k just to "rent", which is basically what a lease is.

You know how people say that it's stupid to rent an apartment because you are basically just throwing money away, because the place is never truly yours? That's how I feel about leasing a vehicle. Just throwing money away on something that will never be truly yours. Even if you finance, at some point, the payments will end, and the vehicle will be 100% yours. But I know that everybody here pays for their vehicles in cash, right? *wink*

Leasing cars work for many people and are the best way for them to save money especially if they can write it off for business purposes.  You don't know anyone's situation and I find your comments to be not so nice.

BTW, I paid cash for my last two cars and haven't had a car payment in years. I tend to drive my cars until the wheels fall off, so I have a lot of time to save up in case I need a new one.

@Carmie wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@coffee drinker wrote:

@Mersha I totally agree with you because I read that post yesterday.  Hope those "internet terrorists" don't take down the electric grid like they did with the gas pipeline in the SE part of the country. 

@coffee drinker 

You know how people say that it's stupid to rent an apartment because you are basically just throwing money away, because the place is never truly yours? That's how I feel about leasing a vehicle. Just throwing money away on something that will never be truly yours. Even if you finance, at some point, the payments will end, and the vehicle will be 100% yours. But I know that everybody here pays for their vehicles in cash, right? *wink*

Leasing cars work for many people and are the best way for them to save money especially if they can write it off for business purposes.  You don't know anyone's situation and I find your comments to be not so nice.

BTW, I paid cash for my last two cars and haven't had a car payment in years. I tend to drive my cars until the wheels fall off, so I have a lot of time to save up in case I need a new one.

@Carmie wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@coffee drinker wrote:

@coffee drinker 

@Carmie 

I also pay cash for cars - I have got you by one car - I have paid cash for my last three new cars.

Esteemed Contributor

@songbird That's a beautiful car! I'm not sure it would be practical for us, because we tend to drive much more than 300 miles on our frequent road trips. Our "pit stops" last about 10 minutes, and we eat my sandwiches as we drive. But it's great for people who don't have to do long trips.