Respected Contributor

Re: Our first day at the Food Pantry

We have a food pantry at my church as well, but it's not exactly "ours". We run it & staff it, but it's a satellite location for a larger food pantry that serves the entire county. They do all of the administrative work and send the stock for our shelves. During the growing season, we have a large garden where we grow produce for the recipients. Of course, the identities of those who come to us for food are never discussed/divulged. However; it's heartbreaking to me to see just how many people in this "upper middle class" suburb are hungry and need our help to feed their families. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

@FrostyBabe1  hungry people are hungry people. We make no value judgements about who gets fed. You never know the back story, they might be in a divorce, or lost their job , they could be filing bankruptcy

People can come here ,one time a month for food. We do this so everyone gets a chance. Plus there are other pantries available to them and a few soup kitchens too

Respected Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@FrostyBabe1  hungry people are hungry people. We make no value judgements about who gets fed. You never know the back story, they might be in a divorce, or lost their job , they could be filing bankruptcy

People can come here ,one time a month for food. We do this so everyone gets a chance. Plus there are other pantries available to them and a few soup kitchens too

Please do not put words in my mouth. I never, ever said I was judging anyone. I said it is heartbreaking, particularly for the area that our satellite pantry is located in. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

I'm sorry you felt I was doing that @FrostyBabe1  It certainly wasn't my intention

Honored Contributor

A win-win.

Hungry people get food, and those who help feed them fill their own hearts.

Helping others is so rewarding.

P.S.  @cherry  I love the back story of the Italian gentleman who would not be deterred.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot  He was a wonderful man. He looked like a count. He had a truck farm ,and also supplied vegetables from his garden ,to the food pantries.

I had my Avon lady tell me about someone who came, with his truck filled with food , for her church's soup kitchen . She just loved him, everyone did