Honored Contributor

Our first day at the Food Pantry

[ Edited ]

WE went to out Food Pantry today. It has really progressed since it's inception, back in the 1980s. For one thing ,we are now serviced by a truck that delivers  the food to us

When we first started ,we had a dear silver haired man, that used to dumpster dive ,at the grocery stores. He was Italian, and so handsome. He was also a very fine person

He used to make the rounds of the grocery stores, and  load up. Of course back then, this was illegal, but ,he was fearless. He would politely tell the manager to call the police ,and have him arrested, because I will continue to take this food to hungry people.. They never  had him arrested, and after a few run ins, they started setting the food aside for him

He would share with every church that was distributing food ,or that had a soup kitchen

The food is certainly lots more abundant and certainly  a wider variety now

Last month my church distributed  1000 meals to the hungry..

They only had 3 people packing the food last week. Today there were lots of us, including some children. The kids were great

We started off by filling clear plastic bags, with produce. They had  all kinds of vegetables and fruit. We would fill a bag to almost the top, saving a tiny bit of room to tie it shut. Today there was cauliflower, peppers, tomatoes  collard greens,yams, potatoes, oranges apples, strawberries, bananas ,and pears.

They also had trays of bakery  items to distribute. I think they let the people choose what they want, as far as the baked good go.

Then we started with the canned goods and boxes. They got a box of corn flakes, rice,macaroni,navy beans,canned vegetables, and canned fruit,  and ramen noodles. I don't know what meat they got , that was the job of the delivery crew. They start later, and stay until closing. We might do that next time

I don't know how many people will be there next time. It was hot, not air conditioned, but, it was a good feeling to be of help. I am glad we doing this again

Trusted Contributor

Re: Our first day at the Food Pantry

Thank you for sharing your story. You have a wonderful community to volunteer. 

Your story made me tear up and smile at the same time. 

Honored Contributor

We also get toiletries, and things like toilet paper ,sometimes. Today we had bottles of deodorant to hand out

Honored Contributor

Thank you for being part of the solution.

Honored Contributor

I just posted this to encourage others  to help in their communities, if they can. It makes you feel like you are doing something, to make life a bit better for someone..

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry 

This sounds like a wonderful group.

In this country of so much plenty and so much waste, I will never, ever understand people going hungry.

I've heard that many of our local stores are locking their dumsters to keep people from taking what they throw away.  I get that they do not want people to get sick, but...

And, I've talked to the folks in the store about donating the food  to local groups, and they just say "it's complicated."

God bless you and your helpers.

Honored Contributor

Thank you but really it should be ,God Bless those who have so little to eat. Make me a  useful  pair  of hands to help  feed them, out of gratitude for having so much

Esteemed Contributor

Bless you for your work.  There is just something wrong when we are the best country in the world and sooooo many people need help to have enough food!

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry wrote:

WE went to out Food Pantry today. It has really progressed since it's inception, back in the 1980s. For one thing ,we are now serviced by a truck that delivers  the food to us

When we first started ,we had a dear silver haired man, that used to dumpster dive ,at the grocery stores. He was Italian, and so handsome. He was also a very fine person

He used to make the rounds of the grocery stores, and  load up. Of course back then, this was illegal, but ,he was fearless. He would politely tell the manager to call the police ,and have him arrested, because I will continue to take this food to hungry people.. They never  had him arrested, and after a few run ins, they started setting the food aside for him

He would share with every church that was distributing food ,or that had a soup kitchen

The food is certainly lots more abundant and certainly  a wider variety now

Last month my church distributed  1000 meals to the hungry..

They only had 3 people packing the food last week. Today there were lots of us, including some children. The kids were great

We started off by filling clear plastic bags, with produce. They had  all kinds of vegetables and fruit. We would fill a bag to almost the top, saving a tiny bit of room to tie it shut. Today there was cauliflower, peppers, tomatoes  collard greens,yams, potatoes, oranges apples, strawberries, bananas ,and pears.

They also had trays of bakery  items to distribute. I think they let the people choose what they want, as far as the baked good go.

Then we started with the canned goods and boxes. They got a box of corn flakes, rice,macaroni,navy beans,canned vegetables, and canned fruit,  and ramen noodles. I don't know what meat they got , that was the job of the delivery crew. They start later, and stay until closing. We might do that next time

I don't know how many people will be there next time. It was hot, not air conditioned, but, it was a good feeling to be of help. I am glad we doing this again

If only the humanitarian spirit could visit us ALL! Praise to those that give their most precious gift-TIME- to those less fortunate in their greatest of need;if but for only a day.

~~~All we need is loveHeart

Honored Contributor

Honestly ladies, I think you are looking at this with backward glasses. We all got so much more than we gave, even the kids had fun..I am a bit sore today, so I am glad there were lots of us there

I am short ,and where other people had to place the food in the bags by just lifting their arms down, to get it into the bag, I had to lit up and then down, to get over the side of the bag. It  is a good workout ,so, I was twice blest

Just don't just take my word that it is fun, give it a try, and see for yourself