Esteemed Contributor

Re: Our first EVER newborn fawn

FB_IMG_1589899706026.jpg

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Respected Contributor

Newborn fawn absolutely beautiful😘

Esteemed Contributor

@MamaWick  Just beautiful!

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

This happened to me a few years ago.  

I had noticed a doe close to the house a few times.  I came home one night and she was in the front yard by the drive way, just standing there.

This was very unusual, because although I knew deer were around here, they were always running - certainly not just standing there.

I stepped out on the front porch and she still didn't run off.  Then one of our cats began to approach.

She started to pound the ground with her front hoof.  I couldn't exactly "hear" it, and couldn't exactly "feel" it, but very definitely decided she was pounding hard enough for me and the cat to make a retreat.

A day or so later I saw her and the fawn going across the road to a wooded area.  My co-worker's husband happened to be passing by in his car and also saw it.

Later I found a depressed area on a hill in unmown grass among the trees where they had lay, just a few feet away from my house.

Only happened once.  The doe was a little scary when she got defensive there. 

Honored Contributor

@MamaWick 

The deers in my area usually give birth around late Sept early October.  Always twins.  I've only lived where I am for 6 yrs.  Never seen a single fawn w/mom.  Always pairs (twins).

Haven't seen a newborn yet.  You're lucky.  I've only seen "nursing" fawns not yet weaned.

Thanks for sharing your pics.   In your first pic, mom looks like a giant rabbit. Smiley LOL

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac wrote:

@MamaWick 

The deers in my area usually give birth around late Sept early October.  Always twins.  I've only lived where I am for 6 yrs.  Never seen a single fawn w/mom.  Always pairs (twins).

Haven't seen a newborn yet.  You're lucky.  I've only seen "nursing" fawns not yet weaned.

Thanks for sharing your pics.   In your first pic, mom looks like a giant rabbit. Smiley LOL

"Our" deer are born in spring and usually are single births.  About 5 years ago, there was a doe that had triplets in our neighborhood.  A neighbor asked me if I had seen the "triplets".  Unfortunately, one was lame, so we knew it wouldn't last.  Smiley Sad  But, I did see them toward dusk one evening.  They are common around here, but still thrilling to see.

Esteemed Contributor

This baby was still wet when my DH went outside to put up our flags at about 7am and discovered them.  We watched mama clean, clean, clean baby for about 45 minutes while we snapped pictures.  We went in for breakfast and then back out to watch.  We never left the porch, but mama definitely kept her eyes on us.

In Texas, the birthing season is mid-May to late June.  Where we live is rural, but enough human population to keep the deer from being hunted.  We see deer daily.  

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Honored Contributor

Awesome!  Heart

Is that a bunny behind the baby, or am I just more blind than I thought?  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt ....that's the mama.

Honored Contributor

@MamaWick wrote:

@chickenbutt ....that's the mama.

D'oh!  Thanks.  Smiley Embarassed

I looked and looked, then I took my glasses off and got right near the screen and I still thought I saw a bunny.   Guess I am getting more blind.  Smiley Surprised