Esteemed Contributor

We retired to a rural area in Texas last July and missed last season. Well, today we woke up to this about 50' from out front porch. Be still my heart.FB_IMG_1589899655109.jpg

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Our first EVER newborn fawn

After about 4 hours, baby was strong enough and sure enough that mama led baby across the road into the woods for their hiding spot.  

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Esteemed Contributor

What a beautiful baby!

I've fed deer about 40 years but now there are new regulations so I can't feed them. The does would wean fawns to grain. 
  There are 3 yearlings from last year that think this is their home and munch grass. Neighbors have complained since they plant tender shrubbery. We have acre lots but they dislike the deer.

Enjoy the new baby!

Trusted Contributor

@MamaWick : Be still my heart is right. How beautiful and sweet

Honored Contributor

The mother will leave it where it is in the tall grass while she goes out to forage during the day.  Eventually, baby will be strong enough to accompany its mother.   So don't worry if you see baby all alone.  And be careful if you're mowing the grass.  Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

"Be still, my heart" was my first thought, too.  In the midst of all the ugliness going on, this beautiful creature emerged.

Honored Contributor

Awwwwwwwwwwww  I'm watching closely for some around here.

Honored Contributor

@MamaWick 

Congratulations on your first of (hopefully!) many successful births to come!🥳  Those newborns are definitely adorable. 

Ours normally arrive around the first of June sometime.  My property seems to be a nursery for the moms, since they tend to give birth here in a wooded area in the middle of our place.  I usually see at least one or two a season before they take them off to their hiding spots.  They usually don't bring the babies back into view until they're a few months old, so unfortunately I don't get to see the little ones while they're really tiny and cute.

I hope yours will be back to visit soon! 👍🥰

Esteemed Contributor

Even though we are newbies at this, we do know the natural course.  Yes, mama leaves baby while she eats and takes care of herself.  We know she will come back and has not abandoned baby.  Mama actually finds a good hiding spot to tuck baby into.  Also, newborn fawns have no scent.  So when hidden, they generally are safe from predators. 

Honored Contributor

I pray no one mows that field,or a animal does not get it...

[ Edited ]

I pray no one mows that field,or a animal does not get it,they are just so sweet.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.