Honored Contributor

Re: Our State's Stay at Home Date is Extended

[ Edited ]

I've heard the word "freedom" bandied about. How about my freedom not to get seriously ill or die?

I hear people saying they can't stand to stay home any longer and are willing to take risks. Well, I didn't sign up for the risk of being ill and possibly drowning to death in my own fluid -- yes, dramatic but real.

When people advocate for an opening not yet advised by the experts, it could risk my freedom and my life by prolonging the pandemic.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

many districts are not saying school is out for the year because that does not hold the students accountable for anything at all. I am sure they will be announcing it a week or so before they end of the year date. Having kids repeat a grade should be done on a case by case basis; it would not be fair to those kids who have worked from home what teachers have provided, etc. It would be punitive. Lawsuits. Those who have blown it off are prob the same students who rarely did any work anyway, so they could be required to take proficiency test based on this year's skills and see if they have mastered a certain percentage of it.....if not, hold them back. I would not hold back elementary kids. Teachers can do longer reviews and bring the kid to where they need to be.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just heard today that Australia is going to continue their lockdown for a whole year. I'd guess the U.S. will probably be similar.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

@morganjen wrote:

I just heard today that Australia is going to continue their lockdown for a whole year. I'd guess the U.S. will probably be similar.

*Boggle boggle boggle* Whaaaaaaat? Woman Mad

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KarenQVC wrote:

@gardenman Your post addresses the me, me, me and not the thee, thee, thee.  I don't feel I have the right to endanger the lives of the health care workers.

Yes @KarenQVC that and the fact that if you do contract the virus, scientists are now talking about it causing permanent damage to the heart, lungs and kidneys. 

That post reminds me of the magical thinking of the 60's short on facts and lots of conjecture. Sigh..

Trusted Contributor

Australia may keep coronavirus restrictions for a year, schools may work on roster

https://news.trust.org/item/20200417000828-mgpgm

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

I'm in Ohio.  Our governor is planning on a slow opening beginning May 1.  It will be done in phases and slowly.  Obviously if there is an uptick in infections, things will change again.

There is a raceway owner here who came out the other day and stated he is opening his business period.  It has made national news.  He said he isn't waiting for permission to open and if Mike Dewine doesn't like it, he can come pay him a visit at the track.  This business owner has a small window of a season to start with and then if he loses that, his business may not recover and he'll be closed for good.    

Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I'm in Ohio.  Our governor is planning on a slow opening beginning May 1.  It will be done in phases and slowly.  Obviously if there is an uptick in infections, things will change again.

There is a raceway owner here who came out the other day and stated he is opening his business period.  It has made national news.  He said he isn't waiting for permission to open and if Mike Dewine doesn't like it, he can come pay him a visit at the track.  This business owner has a small window of a season to start with and then if he loses that, his business may not recover and he'll be closed for good.    

And with that goes all of his employees and their families.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

A business (raceway) is not a person.  We need to consider our priorities when we risk painful deaths to keep a raceway open.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

And with that goes all of his employees and their families.

And that's what he said.  He employs several hundred people.  And that is just people he employs.  Then there are the special events that come there and the people those events employ. That is a loss of income to them as well.  

And if they close, think about the loss to area businesses like restaurants, bars and hotels.  When they hold special event racing and drivers and fans come into town for the event, many of them stay at hotes, eat at local restaurants, go out to local bars.  It doesn't just affect his business.