Respected Contributor

@hckynut, hope your cat feels better. Wow, you and your wife have a lot of cats.

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Respected Contributor
On 9/17/2014 hckynut said:

How old is Goldie and how long as he owned you? I didn't read the other posts but I will tell you we are a feline loving family and currently have 11 indoor only furry ones. We have had as many as 13 of them at the same time and have had felines with us for over 35 years now.

Age sometimes plays a factor with the kidneys of felines and that can be a serious issue, but not all the time. Not using a litter box can be because of a myriad of things, but it is always best to rule out any physical or neurological problems with your furry loved ones.

My wife took one of our felines to the vet today because she has been acting strange the last few days. Can put my finger on what could be wrong with her, but she is acting differently. Once they start acting out of character, she is 15+ years old, we always take them in to have them checked out by our vet.

She had lost some weight and we are waiting the results of her blood tests to see if anything shows up there. She also had a sore inside of her mouth, which I did not see, and the vet said it probably hurt her to eat. I knew she was a bit dehydrated and told my wife to have the vet give her some IV fluids while she was there.

Hope all is well with Goldie and do keep me and the others informed.

=^..^= =^..^=

John, Goldie is between 8-10 years old, and we inherited him when we relocated our business last May. We did take him to the vet then to be checked out with shots, etc., and he was fine. He was really a sad sight when we "adopted" him. Yesterday the vet said he was dehydrated, had an enlarged spleen and had lost muscle mass. They did x-rays and bloodwork. Goldie is still at the vet this morning and is on an iv for fluids. He is putting him on a special diet that will be easier on his kidneys. Hopefully he will get to come home today but only if he is doing better.

Wow, you and Cindy are feline lovers and they are lucky to have you in their lives. Best wishes to your cat. We have fallen in love with this Goldie boy and it hurts our hearts that he is not doing well. Now I understand your posts about all of your "furbabies". They really are part of our family.

I will keep you informed if and when we pick him up today. Thanks again for all the best wishes.

Respected Contributor
On 9/17/2014 NoelSeven said: Goldie is not an old kitty, that's a good thing. One of ours was older when she came down with kidney disease but she lived to be 19 years old. We're all cheering for Goldie.

Thank you so much. I will know the full scope of Goldie's ailments today when hopefully he will come home.

Super Contributor

Hi Hoovermom,

So sorry that your beloved Goldie is ill. I have some suggestions:

Change diet to mostly a canned food diet. If vet offers a prescription diet, choose the canned food and buy a bag of dry to give as a snack during the day. Give just 10-20 bits of kibble per day.

Dry food dries out the cats digestive system. Cats need lots of moisture in order to avoid urinary tract infections and kidney problems.

After your cats gets well, you can switch back to a regular canned cat food -- but choose one that is low in magnesium.

Add a teaspoon of water or a teaspoon of no-salt chicken stock to the canned food.

Buy a ceramic pet fountain. Fill it up and leave it off to start with. Then after about a week of your cat drinking from it, plug it in. Cats are attracted to running water and will drink more water if a offered a fountain to drink from.

We had several cats come down with UTI's. But since we have changed the diet to canned food (with dry only as a snack), add chicken stock to their canned food and purchased a ceramic drinking fountain, we haven't had any of our cats get sick with any type of urinary and/or kidney infection. Been about 10 years now -- no urinary diseases whatsoever.

Hope this helps and I trust that your Goldie will get well soon. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Update on Goldie: He came home from the vet after doing his business there and is eating and drinking. We believe part of the problem was that I changed to a different type litter last week-end and that is when these problems started. He seems to be doing okay today and had the port for the iv removed. Goldie will have all eyes on him. Again, thanks for all your support.

Honored Contributor

Way to go Goldie!!! You hang in there sweetheart. Good news Hoovermom. Big rubs for your baby.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Respected Contributor

Thank goodness, I am very relieved for Goldie and so glad it was just this. At least you found out what litter he doesn't like! Smile Cats are funny in so many ways. I can pet Gracie and right away she has to smooth it down, like she thinks I messed her up when i didn't. lol

Thanks for letting us know the good news.

mm

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".
Honored Contributor

Good news for Goldie!

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Esteemed Contributor
On 9/19/2014 Hoovermom said:

Update on Goldie: He came home from the vet after doing his business there and is eating and drinking. We believe part of the problem was that I changed to a different type litter last week-end and that is when these problems started. He seems to be doing okay today and had the port for the iv removed. Goldie will have all eyes on him. Again, thanks for all your support.

Oh good! I have been checking this thread, hoping for good news. Ear scratches and belly rubs for Goldie{#emotions_dlg.wub}

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Respected Contributor
On 9/19/2014 Preds said:

Way to go Goldie!!! You hang in there sweetheart. Good news Hoovermom. Big rubs for your baby.

Thanks so much Preds. Now we can enjoy the week-end so much better. He is such a great cat and is a joy to us.