Valued Contributor

Re: Our Fridge Died Tonight

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately refrigerators today are not built like they were years ago.

My old Maytag is now 27 years old and my the fridge and freezer work like a highly reliable steady clock......like the Duracell Bunny they keep on ticking, so no Maytag repair man ever came to repair anything on that older but very reliable beauty.

My latest side by side Maytag fridge freezes everything, and I have not hooked up the ice maker nor need to.

Had them come  over so many times for repair since I purchased the extended warranty and I am beoynd digusted.

No more repairs because cannot justify losing all that food time and again, and being inconvenienced with waiting for replacement parts to come in from overseas.

(which is a real long wait).

Now looking at other refrigerator models and brand  but I really think it is the luck of the draw.

Also It states on the internet do not expect a fridge to last more than 10 years in today's market if you are lucky, and it is really best to purchase a non digital but they are hard to find in larger refridgerator models and sizes.

I wish everyone great luck with purchase of their new refrigerators, and hope we are all lucky making that expensive purchase as the one I would like is close to $1,900.00 plus tax and another longexpensive  extended warranty for extra $..  

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie

That's because the parts are not made in America - and are mostly made of plastic instead of metal. They also want us to replace the appliances often. Since manufacturing jobs are coming back to America - it's possible the future appliances will be made to last.

Honored Contributor

@kivah wrote:

@Carmie

That's because the parts are not made in America - and are mostly made of plastic instead of metal. They also want us to replace the appliances often. Since manufacturing jobs are coming back to America - it's possible the future appliances will be made to last.

I hope so too.  My Whirlpool washer and dryer were 30 years old in May.  They both work perfectly.  I hate the new washers that only use a teaspoon of water and stink to high heaven.....those HD models.  I hope I never have to get one.

My DH replaced a belt or two, but other than that no repairs were needed.  I wonder if they still make parts.  

You would think I was lying if I told you how many dishwashers we have had in 30 years....way too many. We have had two stoves and a couple of refrigerators.  I replaced my almost 50 year old chest freezer two years ago...it ran well, but the headliner on the door and seals could not be replaced and it would not seal correctly.

My sister has a refrigerator that was made in the 50's and it runs well.  She uses it for drinks....the freezer only holds two metal ice cube trays.

I don't think the days of anything made to last like that will ever come back.

Esteemed Contributor

@GiantsLover, let us know what you choose as a replacement.  Mine is 13 years old.  I think that and the washer will go first.  LM

Respected Contributor

Re: Our Fridge Died Tonight

[ Edited ]

@I am still oxox

Oh how I feel your pain.  Our washer died on Labor Day, the day before I was having surgery.  We always buy our appliances from a local store.  They were on vacation until 9/11.  We had a new washer by noon that day.

I liked my old machine (@2002) as you could open the lid mid cycle, change timing, water level at any time.  Now everything is computerized and that darn lid locks.

I hope you love your new fridge!

Respected Contributor

What are the most popular choices ? Side by Side, Freezer on Top,

Freezer on Bottom..

I need to replace a fridge in the basement rec room. It's a side by

side. I hate looking for new appliances. 

Honored Contributor

@MorningLover....................for me hands down its the freezer on the bottom.  I like not having to bend over to see whats in my fridge area.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

@MorningLover....................for me hands down its the freezer on the bottom.  I like not having to bend over to see whats in my fridge area.

@Imaoldhippie    I know what you mean.... 

My mom has the Fridge on bottom and it's hard getting things out. I

have to get down on one knee to reach into the bottom shelves !! 

At my last house I had a Freezer on the bottom and liked it.

Respected Contributor

I used to swear by the side by side models but when we gutted our kitchen about 3 years ago it was suggested that we look at a counter depth unit.  I was concerned i would lose space.  I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT and wouldn't get anything but ....   the space is more efficent, and nothing gets lost in the back.  The top are French doors and the bottom a pull out freezer.  I loved the organization of the side by side,  but this works well too.

Respected Contributor

@nyc1 wrote:

I used to swear by the side by side models but when we gutted our kitchen about 3 years ago it was suggested that we look at a counter depth unit.  I was concerned i would lose space.  I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT and wouldn't get anything but ....   the space is more efficent, and nothing gets lost in the back.  The top are French doors and the bottom a pull out freezer.  I loved the organization of the side by side,  but this works well too.

Our current refrigerator is a French door one like yours and we love it, too. You don’t realize just how much you bend over to access the produce drawers on the bottom of a standard fridge until you have a Frech door model. We have another “beer fridge” in our basement that’s a standard one. When we replace it, we’ll get a basic side by side for the freezer organization.