Super Contributor

Re: Our Community is receiving the vaccine Monday🙂

@Mominohio  Yes, healthcare workers are not dying at the same rate as the elderly, however I think we are getting the vaccine first to keep us working. If a healthcare worker is positive they are out for 2 weeks. You need us in the hospital working not just for COVID cases but for the multiple other issues that hospitalize. 

Respected Contributor

Have Five Minutes to Waste?

Google "find your place in vaccine line." A new tool to learn where you stand in line in your county. Oh boy!

Maybe it's 20% more accurate than a crystal ball. I have 36,582 people ahead of me.

Esteemed Contributor

@pinkcrystal wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@Boehm Collector wrote:

@homedecor1 ... your community is supposed to follow the sequence recommended by the CDC.  What they are doing is wrong.   There is a limited supply of the vaccine so your community may be depriving health care personnel, etc.  from getting it.  

First off, the CDC is a hot mess, and has been through this whole thing. They decide what to do based on a finger in the wind, rarely true science.

Some states are dividing up the early vaccine available to cover various high risk groups. 

And I don't think anyone should say that is wrong. There needs to be something done besides a 'one size fits all' follow the sheep to slaughter, do what your told mentality in this. 

I think letting the states distribute how they see fit, based on the fact that the governors and the health officials in those states know much more about their citizens than the CDC does, makes perfect sense. 

Like every step of this crisis, there is a learning curve. Having different areas do and try different things is how we are going to learn what works, what doesn't, and give us data and protocol in the future. Just everyone following the guidelines of the incompetent and highly lacking CDC isn't wise in the least.

edited to add

And I will say if the numbers are run, my guess is that more people over 75 have been listed as dying from the virus than healthcare workers. If that is the case, I feel it would be 'fair' for a state to divide the available vaccine between the elderly and the front line covid medical workers. 

After all, those in the groups supposedly having the highest death rate should be considered top priority, or at least equal in priority to the health care workers. 

You have GOT to be kidding.  Your governers don't know more about virus' than virologists at the CDC.  The CDC has scientific knowledge that far surpasses what any single governer would know.  Of course you'd be happy with this, you are getting the vaccination, but MANY MANY nurses are not.  Hopefully one day you will see how your ignorance as well as many others like you, about science ruined a nation.  

If it is so abt the science  than why did the CDC  not follow it's own protocols when they developed a  test to check for the virus in people. Remember , because of their big error  we  were behind.  CDC botched it's covid response  by  initially releasing flawed tests refer to www.forbes, wwwnpr, wwwthe hill . It took private companies to develop more reliable tests .  Both CDC and NIH  and WHO listened early onto  to the false info from Wuhan abt how the virus  did/does not spread to humans . We all know this is a big fat lie

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

Totally unexpected:

Yesterday I did a curbside Rx pickup at my pharmacy. The pharmacist came out to my car to speak to me.

"PickyPicky, I'm concerned about you. People like you (early 70s, multiple high risk factors) have slipped through the cracks of the vaccine rollout plan. Pharmacists are talking about this all the time. You need to fight for your own healthcare -- aggressively. Next week you need to start calling anyone who will listen and make your case to get the vaccine now. Keep making calls. You only need one person to say yes." 

I'm not a linejumper. I'm not connected. Yet in my gut I feel he's right.

What do you think?

I think you should be talking to your doctor about this since many medical facilities are spearheading these early distributions.....and your pharmacists is way more involved in your life than normal.  Kind of creepy.

@CrazyDaisyWhat's creepy about a pharmacists helping a customer. That is what they are supposed to do.

Respected Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

Google "find your place in vaccine line." A new tool to learn where you stand in line in your county. Oh boy!

Maybe it's 20% more accurate than a crystal ball. I have 36,582 people ahead of me.

I did this. I have 8.4 million people ahead of me in a state with a population just under 10 million. I have 232,700 people ahead of me in a county with a population of about 250,000. It's gonna be awhile. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

@lovesrecess It's going to take a while before our Phase 1 B will have their turn, since we can't seem to vaccinate our healthcare workers. There are long waiting lists for them. 

But, I agree completely with educators being high priority, too. My stepdaughter is a special needs teacher.  They went remote for a good while, but were called back into the classroom. She was very worried, since it's difficult for special needs children to cooperate with masks and social distancing. Moreover, she has to physically assist them sometimes. It's hand's on. 

As careful as she had been, in protecting herself and her own three sons, she contracted Covid on returning to class.  All three of the step-grands, did, too.  The youngsters did not have significant symptoms, but she was quite ill. On day 10, when she no longer had a fever, she was told to get back in class. No retesting was necessary. She called me the night before going back to class and I could hardly understand her.  She sounded like a foghorn.  She still felt exhausted and wasn't ready to go back. Being pushed delayed her recovery.

She's now mostly recovered and has written every agency and city official in the city, citing the issues teaches are having, while everyone echo's that it's relatively safe for kids to be back in school. Safe for whom?  She's received canned feedback.

In some care settings, the staff shortages have become so acute, that those who test positive, and are asymptomatic, are required to stay on duty, if provided adequate PPE. 

Yes, we need to have concrete direction from those who supposedly are the most scientifically informed, but why are we rejecting common sense?

Respected Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

I did this. I have 8.4 million people ahead of me in a state with a population just under 10 million. I have 232,700 people ahead of me in a county with a population of about 250,000. It's gonna be awhile. 

I did this, too. Used the NYTimes tool.

I am not happy to be placed ahead of teachers, essential workers, the homeless, prisoners, and young aduts, among other groups. That's just wrong.

But if anyone contacts me about getting the vaccine, I'll pass on it, so my shot can get to those populations more quickly. That's just right.

Of course, then NYT tool could be inaccurate. They tend to rush out these novelties and make mistakes in the process. So I'd take it all with a grain of salt.

Honored Contributor

@noodleann I applaud your integrity and humanity. 

If that tool is in any way accurate I am behind many millions too. Hope and pray for much better vaccine distribution soon.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Respected Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

@noodleann I applaud your integrity and humanity. 

If that tool is in any way accurate I am behind many millions too. Hope and pray for much better vaccine distribution soon.

That is so kind of you, @Greeneyedlady21 , but I can't accept the accolades because I don't want any of the authorized-but-unapproved vaccines. No nobility whatsover on my part in standing aside. But I am shocked and somewhat angry that those groups I mentioned are behind a person like me. That is just not right, so I'm glad that my stonewalling on being a guinea pig could help one of them.

I don't know what kind of magician can fix this vaccination rollout mess, but hope the AI wizards are working on something. The eligibility standards should be uniform across the country, not left up to state officials, so many of whom have proven themselves unequal to this moment, if not outright judgment-impaired. Get profiteers out of the delivery chain, so no one is charged a dime for their two shots--no facility fees, administration surcharges, nada. No hand-offs--control the process and maintain accountability through the entire program. The buck has to stop somewhere.

Honored Contributor

i have no plans to get this vaccine anytime soon, but the "find your place in the vaccine line" tool was interesting.

Based on your risk profile, we believe you’re in line behind 268.7 million people across the United States.

When it comes to Maryland, we think you’re behind 4.9 million others who are at higher risk in your state.

in a line of 100 people from maryland i am at #91.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein