Respected Contributor

Re: Otto Warmbier Has Passed

Here is an excerpt from the Warmbiers' statement:

"...When Otto returned to Cincinnati late on June 13th he was unable to speak, unable to see and unable to react to verbal commands. He looked very uncomfortable – almost anguished. Although we would never hear his voice again, within a day the countenance of his face changed – he was at peace. He was home and we believe he could sense that.

We thank everyone around the world who has kept him and our family in their thoughts and prayers. We are at peace and at home too."

What a remarkable family.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

I wish there was some way to retaliate ridding the world of that horrible dictator, setting his people free so they can eat and be healthy and most of all so that there's only 1 Korea.  Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I just read that.  As mother it breaks my heart.  We'll never know what that kid went through but we can imagine.  Such a needless death.  Those are  hardest to accept, the ones that should never have happened.  What would make a college student form middle America think that going to the most brutal and repressive country on the planet would be fun?  

@chrystaltree- the young never feel vulnerable....it was a mistake going but probably interesting to him....it was when he removed that poster that sealed his fate.  i can imagine what this poor kid went through....I still see the pictures of him crying at his sentencing in my mind

Honored Contributor

Well said, BornToShop.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

That poor young man..  His family has to be devastated, finally have him home and this.  I don't understand why of alot of things didn't happen and it's best I keep it to myself.  May he RIP.. 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Esteemed Contributor

Otto was already dead when they took him off of the plane.

I think that the family wanted to say their goodbyes before turning off the machines.

It may have been suicide, knowing that he was facing all of those years of hard labor.

I have no doubt that they tortured him.

Once they, the North Koreans knew that he was all but dead, they returned him, because he was no longer of any use to them.

But, at least they returned him.

They could have just dug him a shallow grave, in some abandoned field, and never said anything about it.

What will our government do about his death?

Nothing.

Absolutely nothing.

Why?

Because there are still other hostages over there that we want to get back, so we have to tread lightly.

I am  hoping that maybe the family will donate his organs and tissues so that others may live and have a better life.

Respected Contributor

@Plaid Pants2

I agree with you, it's possible that he tried to hang himself. I think facing the sentance they handed him would have driven many to do that.

Trusted Contributor

ms. traditional: I agree with your comments. My heart breaks for the family and what happened to Otto.  My heart also breaks for Philando Castille and his family as well.  These are just a few of the names in the US and the hundreds of thousands of victims around the world need our concern and compassion as well.  I strongly believe that when we are outraged by all of these no matter where they occur, we will make progress in eradicting or, at least, ameliorating these tragedies.

For those who question whether or not the government responded appropriately, please keep in mind that these are delicate interactions and negotiations.  Thankfully, representatives from Sweden interact with these countries and negotiate the return of some, certainly not all.  Also, the US policy is not to pay ransoms as may occur more frequently among other nations.  Not doing so enrages loved ones but the government, typically, does not prevent them from working with whomever they wish and offering whatever payments they offer.

I hope that Otto's family and friends find comfort in their interactions and memories of him and that they are allowed to grieve as they see fit and privately.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it's political.

Honored Contributor

@Azcowgirl wrote:

@Pearlee

I heard the doctors announce that he had most likely been comatose early on . I still would find it hard to believe that the poor kid wasn't tortured and brutalized when he was arrested.

@Azcowgirl  Well, yes I agree and think that too. But your post to which I responded was about time for wounds to have healed. Well, yeah, if it's been a year since he's been in a coma. I wasn't talking about when he was arrested before he went into the coma which was a long time ago.