Respected Contributor

Re: Other Issues as Worrisome as the Virus

I was just thinking how my Dad lived for my visits while he was in Assisted Living and  then a Nursing Home. With his Dementia  issues and confusion I I highly doubt he could comprehend why I as his daughter could no longer come see him for months. He would have been heartbroken and felt abandoned. The Nursing homes have been hit so hard!  We all could end up in a facility someday? Under so called normal circumstances difficult to find good help I have done the work and it is demanding mentally and physically and not well paid.

Super Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@CathyNY wrote:

Drythe wrote,

"If we did all work together more might ask

“Why is there NO National Plan?” "

Actually, Dr. Birx gave a quite detailed steps for re-opening in phases.  

Whey is there no national plan?  Because Butte, Montana is not NYC and will have very different approaches to re-opening.

I live in a close in suburb of NYC on Long Island.  I fully expect that my area will take a lot longer to return to any semblance of normalcy than somewhere in the Plains states.  Even Gov Cuomo recognizes that upstate NY will re-open more quickly than the metro area.  Upstate NY is very rural in a lot of areas.  Even he said that there are counties in upstate NY that have more cows than people.

Governors are much more familiar with their states and their requirements than any plan cooked up in D.C. for the entire country.

I think it's appropriate on a state by state plan.

@CathyNY   Definitely upstate NY will be opening sooner than later. There is such a big difference from downstate. I'm on the other side of the TZ bridge and it's still pretty bad here but upstate seems ok. Hope they will be opening soon.

I disagree with the Governor on plenty, but he has been a strong leader throughout this. I am upstate and even here there is a difference. My county is one of the larger ones and probably will take longer to reopen than some of the smaller rural surrounding ones. And I am okay with that.

I am not superstitious, but I am a little stitious.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jamstan wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@CathyNY wrote:

Drythe wrote,

Whey is there no national plan?  Because Butte, Montana is not NYC and will have very different approaches to re-opening.

I live in a close in suburb of NYC on Long Island.  I fully expect that my area will take a lot longer to return to any semblance of normalcy than somewhere in the Plains states.  Even Gov Cuomo recognizes that upstate NY will re-open more quickly than the metro area.  Upstate NY is very rural in a lot of areas.  Even he said that there are counties in upstate NY that have more cows than people.

Governors are much more familiar with their states and their requirements than any plan cooked up in D.C. for the entire country.

@CathyNY   Definitely upstate NY will be opening sooner than later. There is such a big difference from downstate. I'm on the other side of the TZ bridge and it's still pretty bad here but upstate seems ok. Hope they will be opening soon.

I disagree with the Governor on plenty, but he has been a strong leader throughout this. I am upstate and even here there is a difference. My county is one of the larger ones and probably will take longer to reopen than some of the smaller rural surrounding ones. And I am okay with that.

I think his nursing home policies - insisting they accept coronavirus patients - denying them the opportunity to move those patients to the unfilled Mercy ship when the nursing homes said they could not safely isolate them, and now we are finding - allowing coronavirus positive medical workers to continue to work at nursing homes - don't exactly fit the "strong leader" category.  Just sayin

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Jamstan wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@CathyNY wrote:

Drythe wrote,

I think his nursing home policies - insisting they accept coronavirus patients - denying them the opportunity to move those patients to the unfilled Mercy ship when the nursing homes said they could not safely isolate them, and now we are finding - allowing coronavirus positive medical workers to continue to work at nursing homes - don't exactly fit the "strong leader" category.  Just sayin

Agree. It seems where he's concerned an awful lot of people are seeing what they want to see. Personally, I'm not all that impressed.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

@Big Joanie wrote:

@pigletsmom wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@Junebug54 wrote:

Before I get jumped on I do totally understand the severity of the virus.   But, I also think there are a lot of other serious consequences to be concerned about.   

Unemployment and not being able to feed your family.     Mental health.   And very importantly lots of serious health issues that are taking a back seat to the virus.     Each and every one of these issues are very important to the person dealing with them.     I will  leave this post on that note.   Wishing good health, physical and mental to everyone.   I know what I'd like to see happen but I don't have a vote.

@Junebug54 

As you say, the issues below the line are consequences of COVID19. Meaning = result, outcome, effect of.

They are not separate entities floating about on their own, they result from our Poor Management of this virus on a National Level.

In my opinion, one must first of all be alive in order to benefit from the other things you mention.

This is NOT an either / or, all or / nothing  decision.  There are other quite sound alternatives.  We are being pitted against one or the other, as if there are no other choices, for reasons of creating divisiveness, and discord, so we will argue against one another, rather than work together to fight this.

If we did all work together

more might ask “Why is there NO National Plan?”

There's no national plan because each state is different. At this point each region in each state is different. You want the feds telling the entire country what to do? After another two weeks I don't even want my part of NY under the same rules as NYC. 

What part of NY are you in if I may ask .... I am from Rochester ......

@Big Joanie Albany Smiley Embarassed

Trusted Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Jamstan wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@CathyNY wrote:

Drythe wrote,

Agree. It seems where he's concerned an awful lot of people are seeing what they want to see. Personally, I'm not all that impressed.

Gov McDreamy must be getting sick of living in Albany because he's talking about being single in these news conferences. Any ladies with a nice house should apply. Although my understanding is he's always had plenty of ladies, even when he wasn't single. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pigletsmom wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Jamstan wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@CathyNY wrote:

Drythe wrote,

Gov McDreamy must be getting sick of living in Albany because he's talking about being single in these news conferences. Any ladies with a nice house should apply. Although my understanding is he's always had plenty of ladies, even when he wasn't single. 

Even were I in NY, please, count me out of the competition... I fail to see the appeal... Always have...

Smiley Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@Jamstan wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@CathyNY wrote:

Drythe wrote,

Where in Upstate are you .. if you don't mind me asking .....I'm from

Rochester ....

Respected Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

Unfortunately, all of the things you mention are in large part due to the virus.  So they're not exactly separate issues.

I know what I would like to see happen, too, but I don't expect it will, certainly not in the foreseeable future, as I don't believe in magic.

There's the virus, and there's our reactions to the virus.  The reaction that would shut down the economy until the virus is eradicated is itself costing lives.  We're not dealing with either/or here -- we're dealing with both/and.  

Honored Contributor

So much gloom and doom from the people who are tired of COVID-19 discussions. I'd like to see happier content from you.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr