Respected Contributor

Re: Other Issues as Worrisome as the Virus

[ Edited ]

@Junebug54 wrote:

@deepwaterdotter    Ridiculous.... and that's all I'll say.  junebug54 replied to response  I have a vote, in November.

@Junebug54 

I have a vote  too so why is that ridiculous

(junebug54 wrote I know what I'd like to see happen but I don't have a vote.)

Frequent Contributor

Drythe wrote,

"If we did all work together more might ask

“Why is there NO National Plan?” "

Actually, Dr. Birx gave a quite detailed steps for re-opening in phases.  

Whey is there no national plan?  Because Butte, Montana is not NYC and will have very different approaches to re-opening.

I live in a close in suburb of NYC on Long Island.  I fully expect that my area will take a lot longer to return to any semblance of normalcy than somewhere in the Plains states.  Even Gov Cuomo recognizes that upstate NY will re-open more quickly than the metro area.  Upstate NY is very rural in a lot of areas.  Even he said that there are counties in upstate NY that have more cows than people.

Governors are much more familiar with their states and their requirements than any plan cooked up in D.C. for the entire country.

I think it's appropriate on a state by state plan.

Honored Contributor

A valiant effort @Junebug54 but I guess we should all know by now that virtually any thread is bound to become a virus thread... I don't know what some of these posters will find to talk about if and when the virus is finally under control, but I look forward to finding out, and for a whole variety of reasons...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Junebug54 wrote:

@deepwaterdotter    Ridiculous.... and that's all I'll say.   

I tend to agree. I find it interesting that so many folks are willing to cut virtually everyone in any position of managing this mess some slack except one... The usual mantra is about how unprecedented this is... How there is no magic solution... How we really don't know what we're dealing with... and on and on and on... But those considerations apparently don't apply across the board... They seem only to apply to those we like... Unfortunate... Trying to manage this nightmare is not a position I'd think most of us would want to be in, fan or not...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

One of the problems I see with some states/areas opening and others remaining under stay at home orders is that those in open states/areas may or may not remain there potentially bringing CV-19 to more restricted areas that have few cases.

My county closed down early and hard.  In a state with 10,000+ cases we have had two and one was a visitor from another area who was immediately put in supervised quarantine.

Surrounding states are now opening and the fear level in my community has skyrocketed worrying about locals that travel to open areas and are potentially infected and about visitors from those areas coming to our community.

Guess we'll know before the month is over how "getting back to normal" works out.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@CathyNY wrote:

Drythe wrote,

"If we did all work together more might ask

“Why is there NO National Plan?” "

Actually, Dr. Birx gave a quite detailed steps for re-opening in phases.  

Whey is there no national plan?  Because Butte, Montana is not NYC and will have very different approaches to re-opening.

I live in a close in suburb of NYC on Long Island.  I fully expect that my area will take a lot longer to return to any semblance of normalcy than somewhere in the Plains states.  Even Gov Cuomo recognizes that upstate NY will re-open more quickly than the metro area.  Upstate NY is very rural in a lot of areas.  Even he said that there are counties in upstate NY that have more cows than people.

Governors are much more familiar with their states and their requirements than any plan cooked up in D.C. for the entire country.

I think it's appropriate on a state by state plan.

@CathyNY   Definitely upstate NY will be opening sooner than later. There is such a big difference from downstate. I'm on the other side of the TZ bridge and it's still pretty bad here but upstate seems ok. Hope they will be opening soon.

Honored Contributor

@FLGranny wrote:

Just a reminder: According to the CDC, in the 2018/2019 flu season 647,000 were hospitalized and 61,200 died. The 2019/2020 season isn’t over yet. We’ve been through Spanish flu, Legionnaires disease, MRSA,SARS, Swine flu, etc,etc,etc. why is there no national plan in place? Is it because each illness is unique and a new challenge? Maybe. I’m just tired of the Monday morning quarterbacks who had no ideas at the time but are sure there to criticize after the fact. Not directed at anyone, just keep a perspective.

Just to keep the perspective, the Pentagon sent up a warning about this in

December of 2019, along with good mitigation suggestions.  It was ignored by those who received it.  Pointing that failure, out is Not Monday Morning Quarterbacks.

Over the 2018 / 2019 flu season 61,200 died, (you say), **Follow along ** From the last week of March 2020, to the Last week of April 2020, 62,000 + people have died.  That’s just 6 WEEKS.

Each new virus does Not have to be a trial by fire for us.  No matter what State we live in we are ALL people, each unique, but we all have the same basic parts, and come in only two models, Male and Female.  Basic disease prevention and mitigation do not have to be recreated by each state starting from ground Zero Every. single. time.  Nor do we have to hang back for three months before putting it in place.

Many here had GOOD ideas / knowledge at the time, and spoke about them.  There were Plenty here more than ready to say we were wrong.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor

A few things that I believe are also necessary but are not happening right now:

*Dentist visits. Unless it's an emergency (and that varies as well) having your teeth cleaned or a cavity filled is not happening. Not great if you have children; oral hygiene is still important especially at that age.

*Orthodontists won't take on a patient. Unless you area already one, forget about it. My son was supposed to get braces but we one of many that were informed it was on hold for now. This means that issues that must be addressed will only get worse.

*Gyn issues. My gyn and the practice she belongs to sent out an email stating that unless you are pregnant, they won't be seeing you. No exception. I've spoken with friends and they've been told the same thing.

*Surgery. DH was supposed to have his knee replaced. On hold till further notice. He can't walk now. He is confined to where he can hop or crawl. No driving, no stairs, nothing. Know others in the same boat.

I understand the nightmare we're in regarding this virus. The thing is, life doesn't stop for a virus; for a war; for anything. The trickle down issues are HUGE and I rarely if ever hear anyone talking about the fallout unless it has to do with stocks/unemployment percentages, investments...money and business. It's all I hear about. I would like to bury my mother; I can't. I would like to settle her estate; I can't. I would like to find an attorney who will return my freaking call; I can't. My neighbor needs a plumber so she can have water again; she can't. I have another neighbor who needs a sitter so she can return to work; can't find one.THESE are important and worrisome issues as well yet ignored for the most part. IMHO, this is what people are getting angry and restless about. I know I am.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pigletsmom wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@Junebug54 wrote:

Before I get jumped on I do totally understand the severity of the virus.   But, I also think there are a lot of other serious consequences to be concerned about.   

Unemployment and not being able to feed your family.     Mental health.   And very importantly lots of serious health issues that are taking a back seat to the virus.     Each and every one of these issues are very important to the person dealing with them.     I will  leave this post on that note.   Wishing good health, physical and mental to everyone.   I know what I'd like to see happen but I don't have a vote.

@Junebug54 

As you say, the issues below the line are consequences of COVID19. Meaning = result, outcome, effect of.

They are not separate entities floating about on their own, they result from our Poor Management of this virus on a National Level.

In my opinion, one must first of all be alive in order to benefit from the other things you mention.

This is NOT an either / or, all or / nothing  decision.  There are other quite sound alternatives.  We are being pitted against one or the other, as if there are no other choices, for reasons of creating divisiveness, and discord, so we will argue against one another, rather than work together to fight this.

If we did all work together

more might ask “Why is there NO National Plan?”

There's no national plan because each state is different. At this point each region in each state is different. You want the feds telling the entire country what to do? After another two weeks I don't even want my part of NY under the same rules as NYC. 

@pigletsmom 

The states, are not all that different.

But, be that as it may.

PEOPLE are basically alike, we come in only two models (male and female), except for that, our parts are all alike.

And, disease prevention, and mitigation work the same for ALL of us, no matter the State in which we happen to reside.

I think it is Preposterous that we have to have a trial by fire with every new disease, or wait three months before we implement mitigations.  Put some plans in place, stock up the PPE & respirators - this is not unknown, not a big secret, we all know that much.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@pigletsmom wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@Junebug54 wrote:

Before I get jumped on I do totally understand the severity of the virus.   But, I also think there are a lot of other serious consequences to be concerned about.   

Unemployment and not being able to feed your family.     Mental health.   And very importantly lots of serious health issues that are taking a back seat to the virus.     Each and every one of these issues are very important to the person dealing with them.     I will  leave this post on that note.   Wishing good health, physical and mental to everyone.   I know what I'd like to see happen but I don't have a vote.

@Junebug54 

As you say, the issues below the line are consequences of COVID19. Meaning = result, outcome, effect of.

They are not separate entities floating about on their own, they result from our Poor Management of this virus on a National Level.

In my opinion, one must first of all be alive in order to benefit from the other things you mention.

This is NOT an either / or, all or / nothing  decision.  There are other quite sound alternatives.  We are being pitted against one or the other, as if there are no other choices, for reasons of creating divisiveness, and discord, so we will argue against one another, rather than work together to fight this.

If we did all work together

more might ask “Why is there NO National Plan?”

There's no national plan because each state is different. At this point each region in each state is different. You want the feds telling the entire country what to do? After another two weeks I don't even want my part of NY under the same rules as NYC. 

@pigletsmom 

Federal Emergency Management Administration  FEMA.  Get it?

Management Of Emergencies which arise to the Federal Level, the citizens, Fund it, no matter what state.

Are you implying that Your State will not be expecting FEMA ‘relief’ the next time a big Ole’ Hurricane, or Tornado, Flood, Wild Fire, Earthquake or Drought hits You?