Super Contributor

Re: Other Issues as Worrisome as the Virus

I find just about everything hard to believe anymore....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Porcelain wrote:

So much gloom and doom from the people who are tired of COVID-19 discussions. I'd like to see happier content from you.

@Porcelain, if a text could be called deadpan, you nailed it.

It's so nice to hear that we should leave this up to individuals. I guess you all have seen only compliance. Well, not where I live, not even close.

And individual states? I'm much rather see a national plan similar to wartime and the Great Depression. But at least I see some locales defying their governors' laxity in favor of commerce, despite the fact that no one of these states have reached the point outlined by the federal government as being a yardstick for opening.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

So much gloom and doom from the people who are tired of COVID-19 discussions. I'd like to see happier content from you.

@Porcelain, if a text could be called deadpan, you nailed it.

It's so nice to hear that we should leave this up to individuals. I guess you all have seen only compliance. Well, not where I live, not even close.

And individual states? I'm much rather see a national plan similar to wartime and the Great Depression. But at least I see some locales defying their governors' laxity in favor of commerce, despite the fact that no one of these states have reached the point outlined by the federal government as being a yardstick for opening.

It's not about freedom or the economy. It's about states not having the money set aside they are supposed to. They are supposed to have been setting aside money to pay unemployment insurance. But they haven't. They don't have enough to pay all the claims so they are putting the responsibility back on the employers.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/04/why-georgia-reopening-coronavirus-pandemic/610882...

From Georgia’s Experiment in Human Sacrifice from the Atlantic

"At first, Derek Canavaggio thought he would be able to ride out the coronavirus pandemic at home until things were safe. As a bar manager at the Globe in Athens, Georgia, Canavaggio hasn’t been allowed to work for weeks. Local officials in Athens issued Georgia’s first local shelter-in-place order on March 19, canceling the events that usually make spring a busy time for Athens bars and effectively eliminating the city’s rowdy downtown party district built around the University of Georgia. The state’s governor, Brian Kemp, followed in early April with a statewide shutdown.

But then the governor sent Canavaggio into what he calls “spreadsheet hell.” In an announcement last week, Kemp abruptly reversed course on the shutdown, ending many of his own restrictions on businesses and overruling those put in place by mayors throughout the state. On Friday, gyms, churches, hair and nail salons, and tattoo parlors were allowed to reopen, if the owners were willing. Yesterday, restaurants and movie theaters came back. The U-turn has left Georgians scrambling. Canavaggio has spent days crunching the numbers to figure out whether reopening his bar is worth the safety risk, or even feasible in the first place, given how persistent safety concerns could crater demand for a leisurely indoor happy hour. “We can’t figure out a way to make the numbers work to sustain business and pay rent and pay everybody to go back and risk their lives,” he told me. “If we tried to open on Monday, we’d be closed in two weeks, probably for good and with more debt on our hands.”

For restaurants, the decision to open up can be even more complicated. Profit margins in the food-service industry are already notoriously slim, and Georgia’s restaurants have been instructed to reduce their capacity by half to ensure distance between customers. Places like the Globe that rely on alcohol sales for most of their profits can’t meaningfully offset the loss with limited in-house service and takeout and delivery. “Our rent isn’t changing, but our capacity for our building is greatly reduced,” Canavaggio said. “Unless we start selling $400 beers, what do we have?” The Globe, he decided, will remain closed indefinitely.

All Georgians can do now is try to protect themselves as best they can. If social distancing decreases because lots of businesses reopen, another deluge of COVID-19 cases could be inevitable. Because of how infections tend to progress, it may be two or three weeks before hospitals see a new wave of people whose lungs look like they’re studded with ground glass in X-rays. By then, there’s no telling how many more people could be carrying the disease into nail salons or tattoo parlors, going about their daily lives because they were told they could do so safely."

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Porcelain wrote:

Doubtful. No matter what content gets put out there, the virus folks take over, start citing stats and try to turn threads into an academic discussion, with their own personal ideological slants thrown in for good measure, of course...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

Doubtful. No matter what content gets put out there, the virus folks take over, start citing stats and try to turn threads into an academic discussion, with their own personal ideological slants thrown in for good measure, of course...

Well you can add cheery posts and threads to lighten things up then.

"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

I could but then (one more time) the virus folks would take over (again), start citing stats and try to turn the cheery post into an academic discussion, with their own personal ideological slants thrown in for good measure, of course...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

I could but then (one more time) the virus folks would take over (again), start citing stats and try to turn the cheery post into an academic discussion, with their own personal ideological slants thrown in for good measure, of course...

@suzyQ3 just started a nice thread. There's your chance. I wrote something completely non-academic there.

Super Contributor

@Big Joanie wrote:

@Jamstan wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@CathyNY wrote:

Drythe wrote,

"If we did all work together more might ask

“Why is there NO National Plan?” "

Actually, Dr. Birx gave a quite detailed steps for re-opening in phases.  

Whey is there no national plan?  Because Butte, Montana is not NYC and will have very different approaches to re-opening.

I live in a close in suburb of NYC on Long Island.  I fully expect that my area will take a lot longer to return to any semblance of normalcy than somewhere in the Plains states.  Even Gov Cuomo recognizes that upstate NY will re-open more quickly than the metro area.  Upstate NY is very rural in a lot of areas.  Even he said that there are counties in upstate NY that have more cows than people.

Governors are much more familiar with their states and their requirements than any plan cooked up in D.C. for the entire country.

I think it's appropriate on a state by state plan.

@CathyNY   Definitely upstate NY will be opening sooner than later. There is such a big difference from downstate. I'm on the other side of the TZ bridge and it's still pretty bad here but upstate seems ok. Hope they will be opening soon.

I disagree with the Governor on plenty, but he has been a strong leader throughout this. I am upstate and even here there is a difference. My county is one of the larger ones and probably will take longer to reopen than some of the smaller rural surrounding ones. And I am okay with that.

Where in Upstate are you .. if you don't mind me asking .....I'm from

Rochester ....

I am closer to Buffalo. I see some replies to my earlier post...Again, I disagree with the Governor on lots (one issue in particular I find his views to be particularly abhorrent) but I still think he is mostly doing a good job and not rushing the state to reopen(which is what I meant above) and also realizing that the state exists outside of NYC. 

I am not superstitious, but I am a little stitious.
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

Yes, if I started a thread with pictures of cute kittens, the thread would eventually become a discussion of how cats can get COVID-19.  Smiley Indifferent

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

Yes, if I started a thread with pictures of cute kittens, the thread would eventually become a discussion of how cats can get COVID-19.  Smiley Indifferent

You are only in control of yourself, not other people's responses to you. So if you put out sweetness and light with zero ideology, that is the contribution you can make. If they want to talk about a cat getting COVID-19, you should still carry on and stay upbeat and refuse to be drawn in. Post again about how cute your cat is and something else you find adorable. Don't let anybody else's bad mood ruin your day.