Trusted Contributor

Other Issues as Worrisome as the Virus

Before I get jumped on I do totally understand the severity of the virus.   But, I also think there are a lot of other serious consequences to be concerned about.   Unemployment and not being able to feed your family.     Mental health.   And very importantly lots of serious health issues that are taking a back seat to the virus.     Each and every one of these issues are very important to the person dealing with them.     I will  leave this post on that note.   Wishing good health, physical and mental to everyone.   I know what I'd like to see happen but I don't have a vote.

Honored Contributor

Re: Other Issues as Worrisome as the Virus

Unfortunately, all of the things you mention are in large part due to the virus.  So they're not exactly separate issues.

I know what I would like to see happen, too, but I don't expect it will, certainly not in the foreseeable future, as I don't believe in magic.

Honored Contributor

I have a vote, in November.

Trusted Contributor

@deepwaterdotter    Ridiculous.... and that's all I'll say.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

Unfortunately, all of the things you mention are in large part due to the virus.  So they're not exactly separate issues.

I know what I would like to see happen, too, but I don't expect it will, certainly not in the foreseeable future, as I don't believe in magic.

The virus has certainly exacerbated problems in the areas mentioned by @Junebug54, but it's important to remember that they existed before and independently of the virus.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

The virus has almost certainly exacerbated problems in these areas mentioned by @Junebug54, but it's important to remember that they existed before and independently of the virus.

Unemployment has skyrocketed, lines at food banks are at record levels, mental health professionals are seeing a lot of depression.

I didn't suggest that none of these issues existed prior to COVID-19, but it's impact is nothing short of enormous.

This in no way minimizes those who have struggled with other health issues prior to the pandemic.  65,000 people dead in the space of 2 months understandably takes up a lot of space in the room.

Respected Contributor

I know. My state is on lockdown now for another month & businesses in my area are closing their doors for good. Today I found out another cornerstone business of our community isn't  reopening & the frustrated owners are moving out of state...I'm just stunned & have finally lost all my optimism.

Respected Contributor

Some issues have always been with us, but the number of domestic abuse and child abuse cases have risen rather dramatically where I live.  Sadly, those least able to defend themselves take the brunt of anger, frustration and despair. 

Trusted Contributor

I have a friend who works in one of the corona hospitals.  They just reopened a floor for non-corona.  All spanking sanitized and ready for business.  Can you imagine how these places got hit. 

Everything you say is true.  States have started to open up.  Smart or not it's happening. And all the states live right on top of each other like 50 people in a banqueting hall.  What happens to one could well happen to a lot of the others.

It's so simple though.  Wear a mask, wash your hands, social distance.  The most effective things we have against the virus.  And nobody should say social distancing isn't possible because alll the states openiing up are doing it.  Here's to happier days.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Junebug54 wrote:

Before I get jumped on I do totally understand the severity of the virus.   But, I also think there are a lot of other serious consequences to be concerned about.   

Unemployment and not being able to feed your family.     Mental health.   And very importantly lots of serious health issues that are taking a back seat to the virus.     Each and every one of these issues are very important to the person dealing with them.     I will  leave this post on that note.   Wishing good health, physical and mental to everyone.   I know what I'd like to see happen but I don't have a vote.

@Junebug54 

As you say, the issues below the line are consequences of COVID19. Meaning = result, outcome, effect of.

They are not separate entities floating about on their own, they result from our Poor Management of this virus on a National Level.

In my opinion, one must first of all be alive in order to benefit from the other things you mention.

This is NOT an either / or, all or / nothing  decision.  There are other quite sound alternatives.  We are being pitted against one or the other, as if there are no other choices, for reasons of creating divisiveness, and discord, so we will argue against one another, rather than work together to fight this.  Just watch it here.

If we did all work together more might ask

“Why is there NO National Plan?”

Follow daily COVID19 statistics to see just

how poorly NOT working together is doing.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras