Trusted Contributor

@KathyM23 wrote:

Because the Academy knew he was being given an Oscar coming up and whoever asked him to leave was probably not supposed to IMO.  That would have made a bigger to do of it.  Chris intentionally insulted and embarrassed Jada and he needs taken down a notch.  A hair loss is an emotional issue and I feel for her.  Of course slapping someone is not the thing to do but it happened in the emotion of the moment.  I'm just glad he didn't punch him which seems more like a man would do instead of slapping.  Thank goodness for that.

Your assuming chris rock knew about her ailment. He's  a comedian, hollywood (and the world) should lighten up!

Respected Contributor

Chris Rock was reportedly unaware Jada Pinkett Smith has alopecia.

Honored Contributor

Re: Oscars review

[ Edited ]

This is day four of this story ( day five on GMA tomorrow), it's enough already, in the grand scheme of things this is so unimportant. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The producer of the show, Will Packer, will be on GMA tomorrow.  They're all passing the buck on why no immediate action was taken against Will Smith.    

IMO, he will either be suspended or permanently removed from the Academy, but his Oscar will not be taken away.  The question is whether he will be canceled from future work by his actions.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

There is now video footage (from a different vantage point) on where Will and Jada were sitting.  Jada was laughing her arse off when he went up to hit Chris.  They were also laughing at him.  The "side eye" from Jada was to start this joke. 

What did you think was going to happen?  You all really believed that Will Smith actually slapped him because he was mad at what he said?  He really slapped him alright, but not because of what you guys think.

Oscars are back.  Watch viewership blow up.  Chris Rock's sold out concert tickets have gone up in price.  C'mon people.....look at the personality of the people involved.

Search for the video clip and you'll see Jada laughing.  The snide look was a joke too.  Geez.

Finally, if a crime was committed, it is up to Chris Rock to file charges.  He won't be doing that because his stand up tour is selling out.  Duhhhhh.  Now, the powers that be at the Oscars could have asked Smith to leave, but he wasn't going nowhere until he got his award. 

Will wasn't crying because he thought he had to be a protector to anybody.  He was crying because he finally, after all these years won an Oscar.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@Linmo wrote:

The producer of the show, Will Packer, will be on GMA tomorrow.  They're all passing the buck on why no immediate action was taken against Will Smith.    

IMO, he will either be suspended or permanently removed from the Academy, but his Oscar will not be taken away.  The question is whether he will be canceled from future work by his actions.

There is nothing they can do to Will Smith.  Nothing.  Nada, zilch @Linmo .

According to several things I've read worse has happened and people have been able to keep their awards Harvey Weinstein was stripped of his seat on the voting Board.  Mel Gibson kept his Oscars. 

This whole so called kerfuffle was for the benefit of Oscar viewership in the future.  In addition to help Chris Rock sell tickets to his tour.  They can only bar him from any other events.  That's all (if they do that).  People are running around speculating and commenting are so way off base here.  I knew what was going on when it was happening.  Can you say "set up?"  It was a joke.

Will Smith can now command a high falutt'n salary once again because of that Oscar. 

Respected Contributor

@gertrudecloset I doubt the Oscar would bring him any more opportunities than he would have had without the Oscar.  His actions might taint future opportunities for him.

Esteemed Contributor

@Linmo wrote:

@gertrudecloset I doubt the Oscar would bring him any more opportunities than he would have had without the Oscar.  His actions might taint future opportunities for him.

Don't doubt that @Linmo .  You are talking about Hollywood and everyone involved was in on the gag.  Yes, he will command more money per film.

He's done films where he was paid handsomely after the movie Independence Day.  The movie Chris Rock jokes about on Will is that they paid him $20MM to do that flop of a film.  Yes, that money is coming back.

There have been quite a few stars who had "issues" who came back to the fold to finally receive accolades.  Honestly, Will's award is long overdue (my opinion only).  I'm guessing he and some committee for the airing this year thought this was a good way for Will to get back at them for slighting him all these years.  It is one big joke.  Meanwhile we are talking and viewership and sponsorship for the next Academy Awards will be up!  This year's awards was up from last year's viewership. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Duckncover 

The only thing I know about the Oscar Review is that it was that it had the 2nd lowest television viewership in its history. As for me, I didn't see 1 second of it.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

Jada laughed?  Classy