Reply
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,969
Registered: ‎03-27-2012

Re: Oscars/Food = Vegan/PB..ish💚🌿

[ Edited ]
@Sooner wrote:
@sidsmom wrote:

An Award dinner is not about healthy choices.

There would be unhealthy, decadent choices even if it was meat-based. 

That's not the focus.

 

This is more of a focus on the ethical & environmental aspects 

of veganism/plant based meals.

@sidsmom What it is, is disrespecting different beliefs and choices, and disregarding and insulting people who don't hold the same beliefs and ideas that you do.

 

What if I invited you to dinner and served you a big old rare steak, some meatballs, and a slab of ribs and nothing else?  What would that say about my respect for you?  

 

It's just an example of tolerance that so many people have these days.

 

While I will agree that there is a choice to eat vegetarian, or omnivore, (I can't say I've actually met a single person who eats a carnivore-only diet) the idea that it's insulting to an omnivore to offer them a plant based meal is anywhere even close to the same as offering a vegetarian a plate of animal flesh is illogical at best.

 

While the vegetarian, or vegan, is often morally opposed to the idea of seeing the food on their plate placed there courtesy of a head bashing or being shot between the eyes, I doubt you'll find an omnivore who grapples with the mortality of whether or not their peas & carrots were obtained through similar painful suffering. 

 

So what would I say about someone offering a plate of meat to a vegan? I'd say they lack the understanding of their moral code and, yes, that it would be disrespectful. It's not unlike a Jewish friend inviting someone to a meal of latkes and knishes and the reply being "Awesome, next week come to my house. We're serving pork and prawns." The idea of doing so is preposterous.

 

What would I say to someone offering a plant based meal to an omnivore? I'd say that with any luck they may find a lovely new dish they might want to replicate at home using some of the exact same foods that, hopefully, if they have any regard for their health at all, they're already eating on a daily basis anyway. 

 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,677
Registered: ‎03-20-2010

Re: Oscars/Food = Vegan/PB..ish💚🌿

[ Edited ]

@SusieQ_2 wrote:
@Sooner wrote:
@sidsmom wrote:

An Award dinner is not about healthy choices.

There would be unhealthy, decadent choices even if it was meat-based. 

That's not the focus.

 

This is more of a focus on the ethical & environmental aspects 

of veganism/plant based meals.

@sidsmom What it is, is disrespecting different beliefs and choices, and disregarding and insulting people who don't hold the same beliefs and ideas that you do.

 

What if I invited you to dinner and served you a big old rare steak, some meatballs, and a slab of ribs and nothing else?  What would that say about my respect for you?  

 

It's just an example of tolerance that so many people have these days.

 

While I will agree that there is a choice to eat vegetarian, or omnivore, (I can't say I've actually met a single person who eats a carnivore-only diet) the idea that it's insulting to an omnivore to offer them a plant based meal is anywhere even close to the same as offering a vegetarian a plate of animal flesh is illogical at best.

 

While the vegetarian, or vegan, is often morally opposed to the idea of seeing the food on their plate placed there courtesy of a head bashing or being shot between the eyes, I doubt you'll find an omnivore who grapples with the mortality of whether or not their peas & carrots were obtained through similar painful suffering. 

 

So what would I say about someone offering a plate of meat to a vegan? I'd say they lack the understanding of their moral code and, yes, that it would be disrespectful. It's not unlike a Jewish friend inviting someone to a meal of latkes and knishes and the reply being "Awesome, next week come to my house. We're serving pork and prawns." The idea of doing so is preposterous.

 

What would I say to someone offering a plant based meal to an omnivore? I'd say that with any luck they may find a lovely new dish they might want to replicate at home using some of the exact same foods that, hopefully, if they have any regard for their health at all, they're already eating on a daily basis anyway. 

 


If a friend invited me over for a meal of potatoes (which I don't eat) I would find that very disrespectful.  If they respected me as a person and a friend there would be a variety, not just what they eat/want.  Mutual respect means actually respecting the other persons choice, especially if you do not agree with it.

Don't be so afraid of dying that you forget how to live.
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,969
Registered: ‎03-27-2012

Re: Oscars/Food = Vegan/PB..ish💚🌿

The point is@CrazyDaisy , I highly doubt you're morally opposed to eating potatoes due to type of moral code. 

 

And, just so you know, many latkes these days are made with cauliflower and not all knishes contain potatoes. Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,677
Registered: ‎03-20-2010

Re: Oscars/Food = Vegan/PB..ish💚🌿


@SusieQ_2 wrote:

The point is@CrazyDaisy , I highly doubt you're morally opposed to eating potatoes due to type of moral code. 

 

And, just so you know, many latkes these days are made with cauliflower and not all knishes contain potatoes. Smiley Happy


It is a matter of RESPECTING the others choices.  People make choices about what they eat for many reason, moral, medical, taste, tolorance etc.  No one reason is better than the other and all should be respected.

Don't be so afraid of dying that you forget how to live.
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,108
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Oscars/Food = Vegan/PB..ish💚🌿

Why is it (most) everyone thinks it’s great and healthy to eat more veggies - until someone mentions the word vegan - then those same veggies turn into some evil plot and it’s disrespectful and insulting to have a meal without a hunk of meat on the table. 🤦🏻‍♀️ I remember my mom regularly making meals without meat to save money. No one screamed in horror. 😂
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,969
Registered: ‎03-27-2012

Re: Oscars/Food = Vegan/PB..ish💚🌿


@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

The point is@CrazyDaisy , I highly doubt you're morally opposed to eating potatoes due to type of moral code. 

 

And, just so you know, many latkes these days are made with cauliflower and not all knishes contain potatoes. Smiley Happy


It is a matter of RESPECTING the others choices.  People make choices about what they eat for many reason, moral, medical, taste, tolorance etc.  No one reason is better than the other and all should be respected.


How is serving a plant based meal ONCE taking away anyone's choices? Were the attendees instructed that once they leave they are no longer allowed to drive thru for their beloved Big Mac? 

 

I also wonder, considering this was the first plant based meal in 92 years, why wasn't anyone all up in arms when the other 91 years of meat based meals were served? It seems like the only rights some care about are those who can't abide the forbidden rice dish, lol. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,677
Registered: ‎03-20-2010

Re: Oscars/Food = Vegan/PB..ish💚🌿


@SusieQ_2 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

The point is@CrazyDaisy , I highly doubt you're morally opposed to eating potatoes due to type of moral code. 

 

And, just so you know, many latkes these days are made with cauliflower and not all knishes contain potatoes. Smiley Happy


It is a matter of RESPECTING the others choices.  People make choices about what they eat for many reason, moral, medical, taste, tolorance etc.  No one reason is better than the other and all should be respected.


How is serving a plant based meal ONCE taking away anyone's choices? Were the attendees instructed that once they leave they are no longer allowed to drive thru for their beloved Big Mac? 

 

I also wonder, considering this was the first plant based meal in 92 years, why wasn't anyone all up in arms when the other 91 years of meat based meals were served? It seems like the only rights some care about are those who can't abide the forbidden rice dish, lol. 


Guess you and I just have a different idea about respect.

 

Have a great day.

Don't be so afraid of dying that you forget how to live.
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,969
Registered: ‎03-27-2012

Re: Oscars/Food = Vegan/PB..ish💚🌿

"Guess you and I just have a different idea about respect. Have a great day."

@CrazyDaisy 

 

 

Absolutely no doubt about that. And a great day to you as well. Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 14,488
Registered: ‎04-18-2013

Re: Oscars/Food = Vegan/PB..ish💚🌿


@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@SusieQ_2 wrote:
@Sooner wrote:
@sidsmom wrote:

An Award dinner is not about healthy choices.

There would be unhealthy, decadent choices even if it was meat-based. 

That's not the focus.

 

This is more of a focus on the ethical & environmental aspects 

of veganism/plant based meals.

@sidsmom What it is, is disrespecting different beliefs and choices, and disregarding and insulting people who don't hold the same beliefs and ideas that you do.

 

What if I invited you to dinner and served you a big old rare steak, some meatballs, and a slab of ribs and nothing else?  What would that say about my respect for you?  

 

It's just an example of tolerance that so many people have these days.

 

While I will agree that there is a choice to eat vegetarian, or omnivore, (I can't say I've actually met a single person who eats a carnivore-only diet) the idea that it's insulting to an omnivore to offer them a plant based meal is anywhere even close to the same as offering a vegetarian a plate of animal flesh is illogical at best.

 

While the vegetarian, or vegan, is often morally opposed to the idea of seeing the food on their plate placed there courtesy of a head bashing or being shot between the eyes, I doubt you'll find an omnivore who grapples with the mortality of whether or not their peas & carrots were obtained through similar painful suffering. 

 

So what would I say about someone offering a plate of meat to a vegan? I'd say they lack the understanding of their moral code and, yes, that it would be disrespectful. It's not unlike a Jewish friend inviting someone to a meal of latkes and knishes and the reply being "Awesome, next week come to my house. We're serving pork and prawns." The idea of doing so is preposterous.

 

What would I say to someone offering a plant based meal to an omnivore? I'd say that with any luck they may find a lovely new dish they might want to replicate at home using some of the exact same foods that, hopefully, if they have any regard for their health at all, they're already eating on a daily basis anyway. 

 


If a friend invited me over for a meal of potatoes (which I don't eat) I would find that very disrespectful.  If they respected me as a person and a friend there would be a variety, not just what they eat/want.  Mutual respect means actually respecting the other persons choice, especially if you do not agree with it.


I don't know a lot of vegans but the ones I do know have never invited me over for a "meal of potatoes".  It's always been a variety of plant derived foods.  

 

Why is "variety" only "variety" if the meal contains animal flesh?

 

 

 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,067
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Oscars/Food = Vegan/PB..ish💚🌿


@SusieQ_2 wrote:

 

I also wonder, considering this was the first plant based meal in 92 years, why wasn't anyone all up in arms when the other 91 years of meat based meals were served? It seems like the only rights some care about are those who can't abide the forbidden rice dish, lol. 


That is inaccurate.  See post #9.

The more I learn the more I realize how little I know.
Are you setting an example or being an example?