Esteemed Contributor

Re: Oscars/Food = Vegan/PB..ish💚🌿

@Marp wrote:

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

I also wonder, considering this was the first plant based meal in 92 years, why wasn't anyone all up in arms when the other 91 years of meat based meals were served? It seems like the only rights some care about are those who can't abide the forbidden rice dish, lol. 

That is inaccurate.  See post #9.

Post #9 doesn't change the fact that, as The Insider put it ~

"The Oscars went from meaty comfort food to this year's (almost) vegan dinner with dairy-free cheese, mushroom, and beets."

There have been some vegan dishes over the past few years as they became more and more requested but they were never in the starring role so to speak as they were this year. Perhaps it would more accurate to say after many, many decades of meaty based comfort foods...

This gives me the opportunity to add it's interesting to read posters chanting "it's all about respect" all the while having none themselves for the chefs of the Academy who choose the menu. Humorous or ironic?  Maybe a bit of both. Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@qbetzforreal wrote:

And they'll all keep the after Oscars tradition alive and troop over to Astro Burgers.

@qbetzforreal 

At the Vanity Fair after-Oscars party, they served In-N-Out burgers among other foods.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Even Joaquin & his fiancé enjoyed After burgers...plant based, tho💚

7C92E88E-3EFF-4D41-B49E-B4FDDC3AA46C.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

The only thing on that menu that I possibly eat might be a piece of cheese. Way too many carbs and alcohol? How is that healthy? @sidsmom no need to respond....you and I are just on opposite sides of the food debates. Cheers!

I don't think cheese is vegan.  It's an animal by product.  So is milk.  All dairy (cream, cheese, eggs, cow milk) is forbidden.  Strangely enough I have student worker who is from India and a Jain (religious sec) who is vegan, but does drink cow milk. The are also forbidden to eat anything grown underground.  That includes carrots, potato, beets, etc.  So his food world is severely limited. It was challenge to get him a birthday cake.  By the way, the unhealthy sugar is great for all diets.

Esteemed Contributor

I have often said that if I weren't so lazy, I could be a vegetarian, but vegan no. I love French cheese too much to make the sacrifice. However, I admit I am annoyed by all the holier-than-thou lifestyle gurus who want to parade their sanctimony in front of the rest of us. It's tiresome.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@songbird wrote:

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

The only thing on that menu that I possibly eat might be a piece of cheese. Way too many carbs and alcohol? How is that healthy? @sidsmom no need to respond....you and I are just on opposite sides of the food debates. Cheers!

I don't think cheese is vegan.  It's an animal by product.  So is milk.  All dairy (cream, cheese, eggs, cow milk) is forbidden.  Strangely enough I have student worker who is from India and a Jain (religious sec) who is vegan, but does drink cow milk. The are also forbidden to eat anything grown underground.  That includes carrots, potato, beets, etc.  So his food world is severely limited. It was challenge to get him a birthday cake.  By the way, the unhealthy sugar is great for all diets.

@songbird 

There are many brands of vegan cheese made with nuts & oils.

All without harming an animal.